herblore, break even?

spitfire095

i was thinking about training skills today, like the ones i never train (mining, crafting, smithing, HERBLORE)

and i was wondering, is there a way to train herblore up, and eventually break even?

if anyone knows how, please share with the class=)

myspace:http://www.myspace.com/mohawkman001

dragonmranger,spitfire095.gif

spitfire095.gif

spitfire095.gif

07Aug01-1443.27.png

It all really depends on how well you can sell your potions for, and the price of the ingredients you buy. Of course, you could eventually make a small profit at around 81+ Herblore, but you can start making money at a low level by collecting your own ingredients. So, the answer is dependant on factors on how you obtain your seconds and herbs, etc.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

At first, pretty much all you have to do is kill chaos druids. They supply most of what you need at low levels - Herbs, Secondary Ingrediants and vials. At higher levels you can still collect your own herbs and secondary ingrediants and reuse old vials. You dont really make any money but you dont lose any either.

THEN, when you get good, you can start sellin the pots off. You can make a fair amount of cash of Prayer Pots at lv38.

You can always grow your own herbs as well.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

any recommendations on what potions to train with?

Well since you are asking a question...it's best suited in Help & Advice.

I think you would get better answers there anyways.

However, to answer your question, you could browse the Archive of Wisdom and peruse for a "Complete Herblore" guide which I think would help you, complete with level recommendations and everything.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

The answer is no. The supplies for each and every potion cost more than what the potion is worth.

If you farm/collect your own herbs, or collect your own seconds it is possible to break even and even make a profit. Of course you will still suffer an opportunity cost.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

The answer is no. The supplies for each and every potion cost more than what the potion is worth.

If you farm/collect your own herbs, or collect your own seconds it is possible to break even and even make a profit. Of course you will still suffer an opportunity cost.

i make ppots for cash... buy rannars 7kea and snapes 300 eaa and sell 7.9k ea also i buy wfv from shops

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

i make ppots for cash... buy rannars 7kea and snapes 300 eaa and sell 7.9k ea also i buy wfv from shops

They must be in very small quantites then as you are only 38 herblore and it takes 38 herblore to make them. How many have you made, 20? :? I am 83 herblore and no-one sells rannars for less than 8k each in any significant quantity.

Buying water filled vials falls into the "collecting your resources" category...

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Training herblore usually falls into two categories: the fast but expensive method and the slow but cheap method. Now, a little more detail:

Fast But Expensive

The herblore industry is packed with merchants, to put it plainly. Their prices are usually more expensive (but there are so many merchants that those expensive prices are almost the regular prices), but they sell in huge quantities of 1k - 50k (and sometimes even more) herbs. Since you're able to buy so many herbs at once, that makes training herblore be very efficient.. just costly.

Cheap But Slow

There are several options for this method, I'll quickly highlight each of them. Your first option is to gather your own materials (or some of them). I think this is well known to be a very slow method, and it's true. You can kill Chaos Druids for herbs, along with farming, collect your own second ingredients, and buy your own water-filled vials from General Stores. Now you can do all that at once and make a profit from your potions, or only choose a couple of those (i.e. farm your own herbs but buy seconds and vials from other players).

Alternatively, you may try buying unIDs. This method isn't always profitable, but sometimes it is, it all depends on the luck of the herbs. There are several ways that you can go about this method, I'll highlight one of them. Buy unIDed herbs for 1k each. Use all the herbs you can identify and sell the ones that you can't (i.e. sell unIDs over ranarr for 2k ea).

And thirdly, you can spend a long time buying small increments of herbs/seconds for cheaper prices. This method takes a long time because you do not often come by people who are willing to accept cheaper prices for their items. But on the occasion that you find someone who will sell ranarrs for 7k ea instead of the normal 8k ea, they will likely only sell you between 10 and 200 herbs.. which is a very small amount (compared to buying 1k - 50k at a time from the merchants who sell for 8k - 9k ea).

-----

In short, if you want to break even with herblore, expect to spend several weeks/months on the skill.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog