Vista Resolution Problems

Mamong

Well, I just installed Vista onto a partition to dual boot with XP. In XP, I had my monitor running fine at 1200x800 resolution.

When I log into Vista, the max resolution I can get is 1024x768 and the display isn't as nice.

I tried upgrading the drivers in Vista but it said they were up to date.

Vista detects my monitor as a 'Generic PNP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'. XP detected it as something along the lines of ATI Radeon 200M xpress series.

Is this just typical driver problems on Vista or is there something I can do to fix it?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100.

Thanks for any help. :)

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

Sounds like vista isn't recognizing your ATI drivers or your card at all.

I know Nvida has it, and I think ATI does, but do you have your own control panel for that? Like I have a Nvida Control Panel which I can change resolution on it.

Either way I think its probably just an issue with drivers. I don't use Vista so its kind of hard for me to say.

I know Nvida has it, and I think ATI does, but do you have your own control panel for that? Like I have a Nvida Control Panel which I can change resolution on it.

Either way I think its probably just an issue with drivers. I don't use Vista so its kind of hard for me to say.

Nope don't have an ATI control panel. Since this is just onboard graphics on a laptop and not a proper card I wouldn't expect that kind of thing anyway.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

Nope don't have an ATI control panel. Since this is just onboard graphics on a laptop and not a proper card I wouldn't expect that kind of thing anyway.

Well I'd think it would still be on an onboard.

I'm kind of lost if you can't actually install new drivers.

Perhaps, since they aren't working anyways, you could uninstall them and reinstall? Just an idea -- really a shot in the dark though.

Well I'd think it would still be on an onboard.

I'm kind of lost if you can't actually install new drivers.

Perhaps, since they aren't working anyways, you could uninstall them and reinstall? Just an idea -- really a shot in the dark though.

I'll try that now.

While you mention a control center, in xp i had an ATI thing in the taskbar, maybe I could look for the app on that hard drive and transfer it to Vista?

EDIT: Found the ATI Control Panel and copied the folder to Vista. Vista tells me it isn't compatible with it. >.>

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

Download and install your graphics drivers from AMD/ATi's site...

32-bit Vista - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... ed-vista32

64-bit Vista - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... ed-vista64

Based on choosing Vista -> 32-bit/64-bit -> Integrated/Motherboard -> Radeon Xpress 200M.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Download and install your graphics drivers from AMD/ATi's site...

32-bit Vista - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... ed-vista32

64-bit Vista - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... ed-vista64

Based on choosing Vista -> 32-bit/64-bit -> Integrated/Motherboard -> Radeon Xpress 200M.

Cheers I really should of checked the ATI site instead of the Windows Driver Detection.

Thanks heaps. :D

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

Hi

I have the same problem with my pc. I cant get vista to properly recognise my monitor.

somehow it keeps thinking its a widescreen, while its really not. So i cant get the resolutioh to 1600x1200.

I've installede the newest nvidia drivers, so it shouldnt be that, and ive installed the drivers for my monitor: Syncmaster 204b

anybody tried that to?

hey you got the same laptop as me :D nice ant it .....

i would recomend to roll the sysem back to get rid of vista and stick with xp ..... ino you wont be happy to do that if you payed alot for vista but it is probly the best soultion ... vista is full of problems more than just resolution problems

i would recomend to roll the sysem back to get rid of vista and stick with xp ..... ino you wont be happy to do that if you payed alot for vista but it is probly the best soultion ... vista is full of problems more than just resolution problems

I'm sorry but thats a pretty stupid suggestion considering vista costs around $150-$250. Not everyone can just throw away that kind of money -- especially when the problem can be fixed. :roll:

I'm sorry but thats a pretty stupid suggestion considering vista costs around $150-$250. Not everyone can just throw away that kind of money -- especially when the problem can be fixed. :roll:

Especialy that you can't roll back to XP from a fresh Vista install.

Seriously rob, please back up you points with proof before you bash Vista.

goldenblade995.png

Especialy that you can't roll back to XP from a fresh Vista install.

Seriously rob, please back up you points with proof before you bash Vista.

While I agree it is a nice laptop, I'm not rolling back Vista just because my resolution ain't right. That is really the only problem I've had, I haven't had so many problems that I want to burn my laptop.

Anyway, I'm running a dual boot, so XP is always there if I need to boot back into it...

Besides, if you read the above posts, you'd see Chris has pointed me to the new set of ATI drivers for Vista for my chipset. So all is good.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg