over clocking tips

magekillr

any1 wanna help me find my maximum oc?

specs:

Intel P4 Prescott core 3.0E Ghz (heat sink that came with it)...prolly gonna upgrade to water cooling soon though...

Asus P4S800D-X mobo

Corsair 2x 512 DDR PC3200

Ultra X-Connect 500 watt PS

any input would be appreciated...as stated earlier ill prolly switch to watercooling since i prolly wont get much ocing out of this heatsink...since my idle temp atm is at 110*F

ty :D

PS: if u have the same proc and made it stable at 3.5GHZ+...tell ur specs plz 8)

It depends on what you want to do. The easiest way to do some basic overclocking would be to increase the FSB slightly, reboot, and run a Prime95 test. If it's stable, reboot and repeat. Not all processors are the same even if they have the same core, so there really isn't an optimal level that you can skip to and try. Most likely you'll need to modify memory timings to get anywhere, but for more info you should probably look into reading some guides about this subject. Mistakes could permanently damage your hardware.

In that case you better get started on raising the FSB (I'm assuming the multiplier is locked, since it's an Intel) ;) Really, there is no magic number that will tell you how far your CPU will go. Overclocking is time consuming, you'll have to experiment.

In that case you better get started on raising the FSB (I'm assuming the multiplier is locked, since it's an Intel) ;) Really, there is no magic number that will tell you how far your CPU will go. Overclocking is time consuming, you'll have to experiment.

thats wat i figured...

i put it up from 200 to 220 making it run at 3.6 Ghz...though it was idle so it wasn't a real test

ty for the help...and as always tip.it rules :D

any1else is free to give some input 8)

and as always tip.it rules :D

well...except for the part that my post count didn't go up for a while...and the fact that it should be over 2000 :wink:

Certain boards don't add to your post count, like the market place. Who cares anyways, I think post counts should be elimantated, they only encourage spam :?

Check out http://www.ocforums.com if you need some serious help. Their really geeky over there (I mean this in a good way) :wink:

I don't think you need water cooling... Running a thermalright xp-120 (Around $60 I believe), and a decent fan (another $15-20) can get very similar performances to a $200 (basic) watercooling setup. Water cooling is also a lot of work... Cleaning your radiator, getting all the air out of the line, etc.

With a 3.0E and an xp-120 (with a decent fan) you should be able to get 3.6 stable without a doubt, possibly up to 3.8 if your lucky :)

Good luck with your overclocking adventure :P

Check out http://www.ocforums.com if you need some serious help. Their really geeky over there (I mean this in a good way) :wink:

I don't think you need water cooling... Running a thermalright xp-120 (Around $60 I believe), and a decent fan (another $15-20) can get very similar performances to a $200 (basic) watercooling setup. Water cooling is also a lot of work... Cleaning your radiator, getting all the air out of the line, etc.

With a 3.0E and an xp-120 (with a decent fan) you should be able to get 3.6 stable without a doubt, possibly up to 3.8 if your lucky :)

Good luck with your overclocking adventure :P

yeah i was also considering a pure copper heat sink of some sort as well as the water cooling...ill check out that heat sink though

All i have to say if you are getting serious about gaming is please dont put your computer in the refridgerator before a LAN party or sumtin. I know some of freinds who got water condensation on the motherboard and other stuff. Lets just say it was not a pretty sight to see their comps fry like KFC.

All i have to say if you are getting serious about gaming is please dont put your computer in the refridgerator before a LAN party or sumtin. I know some of freinds who got water condensation on the motherboard and other stuff. Lets just say it was not a pretty sight to see their comps fry like KFC.

They should have used real water cooling and not makeshift. With only a cheap kit ive got my CPU down to only 33ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâðc on average

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

They should have used real water cooling and not makeshift. With only a cheap kit ive got my CPU down to only 33ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâðc on average

Whether your cooling system is good or not doesn't really matter, because odds are your box will die if you put in the fridge no matter how great it is :P

Whether your cooling system is good or not doesn't really matter, because odds are your box will die if you put in the fridge no matter how great it is :P

:lol:

gah one more

sorry for spamage, on second thought i dont think its such a good idea to frezee drives something most liklly will break in there. so many small things, remeber the german tanks all froze up and broke because of Russia's "general winter"