Woodcutting and the Duel Arena?

Huta

Let's try to use what's between our ears, here.

I agree.

Think about the problem for a minute. What is the root cause, is it :

a) the gold farmers/bots that infest the yew tree areas, fishing spots etc

OR

B) the real world traders that employ the gold farmers/bots.

The answer is obviously (B). Make it impossible for the RWT to give their customers the RS gold in game and they will give up, and hey presto 99% of the so-called bots will disappear. Not all the bots will disappear because there will always be some players who auto for their own benefit (as was the case in RSC and the early days of RS2).

Jagex obviously looks at the problem in the same way. The Duel Areana was a prime mathod for RWTs to give their customers the RS gold they have purchased. Thus something needed to be done about it. This they did, and unfortunately upset a small percentage of their own customers for the benfit of the overall customer base, who were screaming at Jagex to do something about the problem.

If we take this another step forward then Jagex are going to attack the other methods that the RWT use. One of these is the up-coming Grand Exchange. I can now see Jagex making this the only way to buy items by removing the ability to buy things in direct player to player trades. By doing this they can quite easily keep a check on all trades and soon spot anomalies, like someone buying a bronze dagger for 10M gp which would obviously be a real world trade. The player to player trade would remain, but you would only be able to barter, eg. "buy" a rune scimitar for 100 yew logs

As far as drop trading is concerned - that one is easy. If you drop GP it is destroyed. Same goes death whether by monster or PKing, all cash dropped is destroyed.

These methods will reduce the ability of RWT to deliver to their customers drastically, but will have very little impact on the overall RS population.

I agree.

Think about the problem for a minute. What is the root cause, is it :

a) the gold farmers/bots that infest the yew tree areas, fishing spots etc

OR

B) the real world traders that employ the gold farmers/bots.

The answer is obviously (B). Make it impossible for the RWT to give their customers the RS gold in game and they will give up, and hey presto 99% of the so-called bots will disappear. Not all the bots will disappear because there will always be some players who auto for their own benefit (as was the case in RSC and the early days of RS2).

Jagex obviously looks at the problem in the same way. The Duel Areana was a prime mathod for RWTs to give their customers the RS gold they have purchased. Thus something needed to be done about it. This they did, and unfortunately upset a small percentage of their own customers for the benfit of the overall customer base, who were screaming at Jagex to do something about the problem.

If we take this another step forward then Jagex are going to attack the other methods that the RWT use. One of these is the up-coming Grand Exchange. I can now see Jagex making this the only way to buy items by removing the ability to buy things in direct player to player trades. By doing this they can quite easily keep a check on all trades and soon spot anomalies, like someone buying a bronze dagger for 10M gp which would obviously be a real world trade. The player to player trade would remain, but you would only be able to barter, eg. "buy" a rune scimitar for 100 yew logs

As far as drop trading is concerned - that one is easy. If you drop GP it is destroyed. Same goes death whether by monster or PKing, all cash dropped is destroyed.

These methods will reduce the ability of RWT to deliver to their customers drastically, but will have very little impact on the overall RS population.

I know what they intended - and you're right, stop the trades between the real world traders and their customers would put an end to the autoing problem.

This update didn't do that. It would have been simple to put a "margin of difference" on stakes, making it impossible to stake another person with too much of a difference in stake value. To be honest, it wouldn't be much different than the system they already have, seing as it forces you to balance your 3k stakes right now. All they needed to do is raise the maximum stake back to infinity, and you'd still have fixed the problem without nuking that part of the game (and a good number of the players that use it).

They didn't do that. That alone is the main reason I don't trust Jagex any more, as well as the reason this non-staker is quitting the game; I REFUSE to pay for and support a game in which its management doesn't give a hoot about common logic or the wishes of the very people that keep them employed.

Oh, and as for your suggestions; you really think removing direct trading, killing pking, and hurting any player with the misfortune to die from a monster has "very little impact on the overall RS population"? Please. To quote you (as well as the guy you took the quote from);

If you remove direct trading, what happens when you're hitting the GWD with a couple friends and get a shard? You can't trade the item, you can't split the cash profits afterwards - basically, your only form of transferral between players is through this Grand Exchange, which looks less and less appetizing the more I hear about it. Or what happens when you want to swap items for items, such as trading my nature runes for my friend's super attacks potions, without going through all the hassle of selling those items on the grand exchange and buying from others?

Sure, autoers are hurting the game. But let's not let them totally destroy this game by taking a Orwell-esque approach to game security, and that exactly what you're suggesting. If the cost of removing those little bald men in green pants is turning this game into a bad futuristic sci-fi flick with dictators, restriction on basic gameplay, and fear that you'll get mistaken for a cheater, I'll take saiotang1555 any day.

If you remove direct trading, what happens when you're hitting the GWD with a couple friends and get a shard? You can't trade the item, you can't split the cash profits afterwards - basically, your only form of transferral between players is through this Grand Exchange, which looks less and less appetizing the more I hear about it. Or what happens when you want to swap items for items, such as trading my nature runes for my friend's super attacks potions, without going through all the hassle of selling those items on the grand exchange and buying from others?

If you read my words carefully you will see that I don't suggest getting rid of trading altogether, just the ability to buy using cash directly from another player. You can still trade by exchanging items, ie barter. The scenario you have given is what lootshare is designed to cater for.

Also, if you read carefully, you will see that all my suggestions remove the ability to transfer, either directly or indirectly, cash to another player. The Pker will still get his victims items, the player dying will still be able to get his items back and you will still be able to trade. The only thing that you will not get returned is cash. I cannot see how this will adversely affect anyone. After all, who, with any sense would go PKing or monster hunting carrying several million in cash.

If you read my words carefully you will see that I don't suggest getting rid of trading altogether, just the ability to buy using cash directly from another player. You can still trade by exchanging items, ie barter. The scenario you have given is what lootshare is designed to cater for.

Also, if you read carefully, you will see that all my suggestions remove the ability to transfer, either directly or indirectly, cash to another player. The Pker will still get his victims items, the player dying will still be able to get his items back and you will still be able to trade. The only thing that you will not get returned is cash. I cannot see how this will adversely affect anyone. After all, who, with any sense would go PKing or monster hunting carrying several million in cash.

I'm sorry, but your post was a bit unclear.

So basically, you're suggesting that gp be made untradeable except through the grand exchange, forcing people to barter with items when dealing directly?

What will that accomplish? RWTs will simply use some other currency to transfer funds - say, instead of 15m gp, 15m worth of yew logs or a few whips.

Making a bartering system will simply change the exchanged item from coins to something else. You're just changing the color of the problem, at the cost of a whole lotta playability.

Oh yeah, if you think lootshare is the cureall, it ain't. I don't want to make 25 trips to the KQ with a friend, get a chain drop, and be forced to tell him "oh well, game sucks, I can't share." Sorry, but no.

The day direct trading gets limited like that is the day RuneScape dies. Period.

"wood and pure wood! its amazing! craddock, go tell paul! now we can lower our aproval rating among the fans even lower the G.W. Bush among the Americans!"

after Duel Arena, and Runecrafting, i actually find that scenario likely. :notalk:

sonerohi.gifimage,p0wn,orange,lblue.png

So basically, you're suggesting that gp be made untradeable except through the grand exchange, forcing people to barter with items when dealing directly?

Yes

What will that accomplish? RWTs will simply use some other currency to transfer funds - say, instead of 15m gp, 15m worth of yew logs or a few whips.

Hadn't thought about that - obviously my mind is not devious enough :lol: OK I agree, in priciple, about yew logs (or any other thing that can be "gathered"), but not whips as they are not easy to get. However, with items having to be sold via the GE it should be quite easy to detect someone dealing in suspiciously large amounts.

Oh yeah, if you think lootshare is the cureall, it ain't. I don't want to make 25 trips to the KQ with a friend, get a chain drop, and be forced to tell him "oh well, game sucks, I can't share." Sorry, but no.

I agree lootshare is not the cure all. But using my thoughts you would still be able to give your chain drop to your friend, so long as gold is not involved with the exchange.

The day direct trading gets limited like that is the day RuneScape dies. Period.

I disagree, it is merely the day RuneScape changes. People already playing will either adapt or die (aka Darwinism). However, new people, will find no problem with the changes I have mentioned. I for one would adapt to changes like this, as all the trade options that exist now would still be available, but not all in one convenient place. If however, player to player trading was removed completely, I would be one of the first to leave.