I think we need a Linux sticky. Submit info now!

dsavi

Ok, seriously do we really need 5 linux threads, how about just 1 for everything, may be a little messy but unless 5 people are going to write the five diffrent things you want to do it's a little spammy.

You continuing to reply to this thread when you have nothing helpful to contribute is also 'spammy'. If you don't have anything constructive to add, go reply somewhere else. It's already rather clear you'd rather troll than actually contribute to what the active users of this bored want to do.

As for the sticky itself, these are some the basics it probably needs to cover, based on what gets asked around here.

• [*:3rqcpq48]It needs to make it extremely clear that installing (and not using a live cd) could permanently delete any files already on the machine. Explaining what a live cd even is may be a good idea

[*:3rqcpq48]Any distro listed should be available as a live cd to minimize any chance someone will accidentally wipe their machine by popping a disc in and just running through the prompts.

[*:3rqcpq48]The differences between Gnome and KDE should be explained since they're the two 'major' desktops (I know there are others, but those are the majors people will see off the bat). Using Ubuntu and Kubuntu as examples would work.

[*:3rqcpq48]Basic explanation of the terminal and basic commands. Explaining scripting to a new user doesn't help them much if they don't know how to use the shell.

[*:3rqcpq48]Links to newbie friendly help sites (such as the ubuntu forums)

[*:3rqcpq48]Link to a list of terminal commands for reference

Once that list is covered, then you could start diving into how the file system works, how to install programs and whatever else people would need to get up to speed for daily use. My take on it anyway.