I think we need a Linux sticky. Submit info now!

dsavi

Personally when it comes to Linux, I'm not really on the 'In the know' side of things. I have posted a 'Which Linux version to use' thread, and others have too. The sticky would contain more or less everything Tip.It knows about Linux, instead of a new topic being posted and only the knowledge of the people that happen to be there/can be bothered to post/etc. shows up.

So what do you think? It would be one less topic here.

Edit: Ok, now we're going to start posting info, and see how it goes. First, lets get together some info on what Linux actually is. And after that, the top five or so Linux distributions. Copy this, code tags and all, into your post and fill out the form:

[code][b]Name of Distro:[/b]

[b]Wikipedia link:[/b] 

[b]Good for people who:[/b]

[b]Takes this much space on Hard Drive (With standard install):[/b]

[b]Runs good on computers with this much power minimum:[/b]

[list][b]Processor:[/b]

[b]RAM:[/b]

[b]GPU (Graphics card):[/b][/list]

[b]Special features?:[/b]

[b]Pros:[/b]

[b]Cons:[/b]

[/code]

C2b6gs7.png

Linux consists of such a small market share that it doesn't really deserve a sticky (Flame away) however as long as we get a Mac sticky as well I'm fine with it.

It would get a sticky because their is a demand for information that would be well suited to one. The only reason we would get or even need a Mac sticky is so all the idiot Fanboys can post their worthless Windows bashing, which we do not need.

A sticky is created because their is repetitive asking of the same questions on the same topic, not because 'they got one too'.

As much help as a Linux sticky would be, I see the problem of 'Omg I installed this Linooks thing and it broke my computer' coming up when the normal users see the new shiny and try to play with it before understanding it.

Linux consists of such a small market share that it doesn't really deserve a sticky (Flame away) however as long as we get a Mac sticky as well I'm fine with it.

Shut up. If Mac propaganda is true, we don't need one. Why? Macs are easy. And perfect and faultless. [/sarcasm] Linux isn't user-friendly, simply because the makers of Linux aren't professionals, and few people know about it, when compared to Windows.

There, you got your flame.

[/flame]

C2b6gs7.png

How about...no. We don't need more Mac fanboys saying how cool or how much better their OS is over Windows. Besides, Mac support is commercially available; if I'm not making money helping a Mac person with their computer problem, why should I bother?

A Linux sticky would be a nice thing to have here, since it'd answer plenty of questions about the OS and point various tinkerers in the right direction with their experimenting.

As much help as a Linux sticky would be, I see the problem of 'Omg I installed this Linooks thing and it broke my computer' coming up when the normal users see the new shiny and try to play with it before understanding it.

I don't know why, but I can't *really* see the problem, unless they get a distro that doesn't have a LiveCD environment. Provided, of course, if the idea behind the LiveCD is explained properly (and thoroughly), then people shouldn't make stupid mistakes like installing something they've never messed with before onto their perfectly fine machine.

But yeah, a *nix sticky would be nice to have. Help some of the rookies out there answer their questions here. :P

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

no

Any other incite other than a 1 word answer?

I think there should be a sticky with common problems that newbies may have and explain the pros and cons of the top 5 distros or something. How to get your wireless card working in Linux should have it's own sticky, I had so much trouble getting my laptop card working :wall: .

goldenblade995.png

Thank you for flaming.

And if you want a Linux sticky it would only be fair to have a Mac sticky, but then we need a Windows sticky, but then we need a Google OS sticky.

We can't have a sticky for one unless we are going to have a sticky for all of them, thats why we don't have browser sticky because their are 12+ browsers that we would have to make a sticky for. Thanks but no thanks and who said a Mac sticky would be fan boy heaven, maybe someone needs to pull their head out of their [wagon] and release we aren't all like that and your being stereotypical.

...maybe someone needs to pull their head out of their [wagon] and release we aren't all like that and your being stereotypical.

Maybe you need to get off your high horse and realize that just because one gets a sticky, it doesn't mean the rest automatically have to. Like I already said, a sticky is for commonly asked questions, not to cover every aspect of everything. Linux help has become a commonly asked question.

Maybe you should look at the sticky list and realize Hypercam has a sticky, but oh, guess what, no Camtasia. A sticky for one piece of information does not automatically mean other related pieces of information nobody is asking about gets one too.

Suck it up. Nobody is asking questions about OS X or anything else Mac related.

...maybe someone needs to pull their head out of their [wagon] and release we aren't all like that and your being stereotypical.

Maybe you need to get off your high horse and realize that just because one gets a sticky, it doesn't mean the rest automatically have to. Like I already said, a sticky is for commonly asked questions, not to cover every aspect of everything. Linux help has become a commonly asked question.

Maybe you should look at the sticky list and realize Hypercam has a sticky, but oh, guess what, no Camtasia. A sticky for one piece of information does not automatically mean other related pieces of information nobody is asking about gets one too.

Suck it up. Nobody is asking questions about OS X or anything else Mac related.

Ok, looking at the T&C forum at 7:38 Pm EST, there are two threads that contain Linux in the title (One being this one) and one thread that contains Macintosh in the title, also there are several Vista/Windows/Xp threads. Now to say with that one topic that Linux deserves a sticky and not Macintosh/Windows is absurd.

I should also point out that it's ignorant to say that people are asking lots of Linux questions when there are a total of two linux topic on the front page, one being this one.

Lordofrah, the main difference between linux and the other common os's is that most distros aren't a put it in, click a few buttons and go, linux is an entirely different architecture, and most people don't "grow up" on linux, so there's a lot to work with if you switch. There are hardware compatibility issues, et cetera, and it's not like you can just call up a customer support line, you have to rely on information provided in the docs, or from other users on forums like this. With a mac, it's not exactly the hardest thing to work with, and you don't have to worry about hardware compatibility because you don't buy mac parts and then assemble them :?

The sticky wouldn't be "All linux questions here", but more or less a bit of a guide on some of the basic functions, installation, pros/cons of distros, links to help sites, some basic terminal commands, pros/cons of kde/gnome/k and a list of oss that would take over for the things most people are used to.

The sticky wouldn't be "All linux questions here", but more or less a bit of a guide on some of the basic functions, installation, pros/cons of distros, links to help sites, some basic terminal commands, pros/cons of kde/gnome/k and a list of oss that would take over for the things most people are used to.

Try to articulate your point better the first time next time before I get in a flame fight with a chat op :P If your planning on doing that go for it.

Ok, looking at the T&C forum at 7:38 Pm EST, there are two threads that contain Linux in the title (One being this one) and one thread that contains Macintosh in the title, also there are several Vista/Windows/Xp threads.
I should also point out that it's ignorant to say that people are asking lots of Linux questions when there are a total of two linux topic on the front page, one being this one.

So now front page threads are a measure of how important a topic is? Just arbitrarily because you don't like the idea that your OS of choice isn't getting a sticky all to itself? The front page runs back a whole 4 days, which isn't a very good measure of how active a certain topic is on a forum, regardless of subject.

If you havn't noticed yet, the majority of this forum is Windows based questions. Saying Windows of all things should have a sticky is just out right stupidity disguised as an attempt to make your point. If you go throwing every users specific question (BSOD errors, application errors, installation, finding apps, ect) into a sticky, you'd have nothing more than a jumble of posts where nothing gets done.

Now to say with that one topic that Linux deserves a sticky and not Macintosh/Windows is absurd.

The entire point of a Linux sticky is to inform those asking the basic questions so they don't have to make yet another thread, regardless of how I feel on the matter. That in no way means Mac fans should automatically get their own sticky just so they can feel special and 'included'.

The linux threads thus far have been about the basics of picking a distro, installing it, and other basic situations people will run into when playing with it or transitioning. That information is very well suited to an organized sticky. Where are the Mac questions about basic usage and setup of OS X? Wait, there aren't any? OH! That would be why you don't get a sticky.

All you're doing is perpetuating the stuck up Mac user stereotype by sitting here whining that you don't get a sticky when the Linux users might.

I also dare to point out that someone that has replied to a whole 10 threads in the T&C forum doesn't exactly have a strong grip on what goes on here. 5 of those 10 threads where only in the last 2 days. The other 5 haven't been touched since January 2007. All this furthers my point that all you're doing is whining that your precious Mac isn't getting a sticky.

Try to articulate your point better the first time next time before I get in a flame fight with a chat op :P If your planning on doing that go for it.

You might want to follow your own advise when writing a reply like that.

A Linux sticky has it's pros and cons. The pros are generally that getting general advice on Linux would be much easier, the problem being that this tempts more users to try Linux. Now, don't hear what I'm not saying, but the regular user who jumps in and thinks "omfg what's linux i want it" is not the kind of person we want to encourage to run Linux. Simply because of the fact that they'll have a much harder time with it than with Windows, and will probably spend more of their time here asking questions than they will actually using the operating system for anything other than... posting here.

I've already seen a few examples of people running Linux who just probably shouldn't be, asking what should be the simplest of questions for people who have gone ahead and installed an OS, and sometimes it really does just make you think - "Why do you even have Linux if you don't know that?".

A Linux sticky would only be a good idea if the first post in it had some clearly laid out warnings in it, for newer users.

Oh, and Mac doesn't need a sticky, everything is just so easy to do right out of the box that no-one will ever have any support questions... or so the commercials lead me to believe.

Well, of course it shares a small market share. It isn't well known, most users use Windows or Mac, and, for actual market share, most distributions are FREE.

However, among many (including myself), Linux is the operating system of choice. It's not user friendly, mostly because it wasn't developed to be that way. Even though it's not user-friendly..after some modfications and hacking away at it, I've got the best computer I've ever had. And that's one reason we need a help topic. Installation, LiveCDs, saving configuration, and the command prompt were the biggest issues I had starting out. Linux is a confusing OS, and there will always be questions..which is why I think we will need a sticky.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

So I think it's generally agreerd that a Linux sticky is in order, right? I'll post some stuff in Code tags so people can start contrubuting, when I'm back at my computer. If you're wondering, I'm posting from a Nokia E61.

Hopefully, the content will be good enough that a mod will sticky this. Eventually, anyway.

C2b6gs7.png

I won't submit any info now but I think your going about it the wrong way.

You need to start collecting the basics of Linux. Example, introduce the GUI, the file systems, how to install it, a little about the Terminal and navigating it, how to install it, how to run it in a dual boot etc.

Most distros are on a live CD anyway, so download it, burn it on an ISO and boot into it, this gives you a chance to explore Linux without installing anything.

If your interested in Distros, head over to Distrowatch, it lists pretty much every single distro and has ratings of them and popularity. Right now, it's PClinuxOS on top with Ubuntu running second and openSUSE third.

EDIT: This linkshows a comparison of different Linux Distro's which may help some people.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

If you're talking the basics of the Linux distros, then you're talking a whole 'nother thread. There's a lot of information that newbies to the OS have to understand before they get their hands on it. Just cleaning this thread up won't be enough.

I could give plenty information about this though. :P

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.