Picture burned into my screen?

tylersk8shop

Well I left my computer on for a while today when I was out, And I played runescape for a while, And now runescape/irc and everything are like burned into my screen. Is there anything I can do, Or do I need to buy a new screen?

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

This is a fairly common thing on cheap screens or when people use a TV which is not designed for use as a monitor.

Heres a wiki article about what has happened.

There is no way to fix this on CRT monitors/TV, but on LCD's it can just be a temporary thing (try just leaving it unplugged for a while).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Used to see this all the time in amusement arcades. The older machines that were switched off had the words "game over" burnt into the screen. Like JoeDaStudd says if its an LCD you may get lucky, if it's CRT you're stuck with it.

You need to set/adjust your screen saver options to prevent any further re-occurance of this. Have your screen saver set to come on after 5 - 10 minutes, you could also adjust your power options so that your PC goes into hibernation after around 30 minutes idle too.

Used to see this all the time in amusement arcades. The older machines that were switched off had the words "game over" burnt into the screen. Like JoeDaStudd says if its an LCD you may get lucky, if it's CRT you're stuck with it.

You need to set/adjust your screen saver options to prevent any further re-occurance of this. Have your screen saver set to come on after 5 - 10 minutes, you could also adjust your power options so that your PC goes into hibernation after around 30 minutes idle too.

Get a non-stationary screensaver like the bouncing ball things too. Screen burn is caused by stationary images being emitted by the screen for long periods of time, so a non-stationary screensaver reduces that risk ;)

sig4.png

This will happen on CTR (Cathode Ray Tube) screens. The screen is coated with phosphor, and 3 electron guns (Red, Green and Blue) are fired at the phosphor which causes it to glow. The downside is that the guns will burn into the phosphor any static image. This is why screen savers came about, to prevent burn-in on the screens of people using things like Word processors that will have the menus in the same place day in day out.

TFT monitors do not suffer from burn-in, but Plasma screens do.

Plasmas can burn VERY badly, people were complaining about channel logo burn-in.

LCD/TFT can suffer from a "sticky image" which looks like burn-in, but it will usually fade with time or excersize.

I wouldn't expect a CRT to show severe burn-in in such a short time, the effect is normally cumulative, unless the brightness is excessive.

LCDs can have screen burn in but it's different than plasmas. You can fix the lcd screen problem. This has happened to me before when I disabled my screensaver and the wallpaper was burnt in.

Use Jscreenfix. Turn off the screensaver completely and let this run for a couple of hours (make sure the monitor does not turn itself off either). http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Press f11 to run it in fullscreen.

goldenblade995.png