Image discussion

ALWAYS submit images in .png format, definitely not .gif, .jpg or .jpeg. If using MSPaint, this is doable in the 'Save As' box by clicking the 'Save as type' drop-down menu at the bottom. All other software I've seen has something similar to this.

Seeing as all Tip.It Bestiary images are in GIF format, why should we "definitely not use it"?

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

ALWAYS submit images in .png format, definitely not .gif, .jpg or .jpeg. If using MSPaint, this is doable in the 'Save As' box by clicking the 'Save as type' drop-down menu at the bottom. All other software I've seen has something similar to this.

Seeing as all Tip.It Bestiary images are in GIF format, why should we "definitely not use it"?

This is to try to accommodate the needs of the users. Many don't have programs that make good gif files, such as Gimp and Photoshop, but use paint. While there is no High or Low quality gifs there is a gif file and a paint gif file. Which is fuzzy and distorted. PNG file format is not distorted through paint so it is preferred. Most images need cropped anyway so when the crew is done they save as a .gif file. So it is to ensure that we can use the work that many users provide us with. And it really, really helps!

For example:

Gif in Paint

uglygif.gif

Png in Paint

Nicepng.png

(And a good quality gif is possible and easily done in other programs but it is all up to Ginger_Warrior what he accepts.)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

^ Exactly what n_odie says. I could draw out a long, sophisticated list on which programs produce .gif files which keep the same quality, but I doubt anyone would want to read it.

If you know how to make .gif files in good quality, then I'd be happy to accept. I'm just saying .png format as a way of including everyone no matter what program they're using.

What you misinterpret to be "high quality" is a lower level of dithering. Microsoft Paint uses a high level of dithering to create GIF images.

There is NO "Paint GIF" and "GIF". They are both GIF89a images. Dithering is a part of the format specification.

Photoshop and other programs do not use AS MUCH, however such modifications ARE present. There is no software program on this planet that will produce an image of the same quality as PNG (if it has more than 256 colors, which pretty much all RuneScape screenshots will in the new HD format).

I took your PNG source image and converted it into a GIF using ImageMagick, which, as you said "creates high quality GIF images". Well then... I do what I always do whenever I need to prove someone wrong: I wrote a program. The program I wrote outputs the details of an image file. The source image contained 813 colours. I then checked the GIF image that ImageMagick gave me: as I expected, 256 colours. Information had been LOST.

The original PNG image:

originalproofkj1.png

The so-called "high quality" GIF image:

imagemagickproofsx9.png

With these two images, the disgusting grainy effect isn't as visible, but if you look closely, you can see it. Let's use a different image for an example, then.

This nice PNG screenshot of the new RuneScape HD is very nice, isn't it? High quality, detailed water and textures... pleasing to the eyes: A massive 68,896 unique colours present in the image! OUCH.

beautifuldp4.png

ownagefilehy1.png

Now let's have precious ImageMagick convert that nice PNG image to a "high quality" GIF. *MASSIVE EYEROLL!!* Oh god, what is all that dithery grainyness?! I think I feel sick!

notbeautifulye4.gif

failurexh0.png

Also, I may not have done it right, but:

poster26993120zt0.jpg

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Our researchers mostly deal with transparent images for the items database, and the Bestiary also uses transparency to show the monster off without background noise. We use GIFs for this.

Please understand that our suggested policies were developed after years of working with users. They are not the result of sheer ignorance - they are the result of having many users go to a great deal of effort to obtain images that we simply can't use (for example, blurry jpgs from older versions of Paint). That's frustrating on all sides, and the suggested image formats are devised to avoid this.

Yes, there are times when a GIF isn't as good as a PNG - there are even times when we use quality JPGs on the site :o but they are far between, and those cases all relate to screenshots with backgrounds, or quest maps, not images for the databases.

I won't even argue with you about formats etc because it just doesn't matter. If you find fault with our policy of suggested formats for database submissions, you can post pictures in whatever format you like, and we will use or not use your pictures depending on if they are of workable quality. The guidelines are simply to help the average user submit a pic that meets our needs with the least wasted effort on both sides.

We appreciate everyone who wants to participate in improving the website. If you have further issues, please take them up with an admin. Our graphics admin Alduron is currently on leave, but feel free to have a discussion with him on this subject upon his return.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.