� Kn1gh7's Ultimate Smithing Guide � Updated

kn1gh7_K1n6

Updated the "So many techniques...Too many to choose from!" to include the amount of x item needed to level.

Will be adding xp/gp rates soon.

tinysigqj9.png

3rd person to reach 200M Fm Xp ~ Reached on 9th March 2008

Retired 4th August, 2008.

Omg awesome knight~ :thumbsup:

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I do have the normal smelting with furnace technique listed for smelting gold bar using a furnace, for techniques 300k, 400k, and 500k/hr.

Okay, well hopefully I can clear this up for you:

Lets say you could earn 750k cash per hour (like in my training technique cut-off), and wanted to get from Level 40 - 70 smithing in the fastest time possible.

If we look on the best way to train section, it appears that I have only listed 'superheating gold ores to bars', and we will need to do this 12,463 times if i wanted to get from 40 - 70.

Now, your question is if it's better than just smelting them normally using a furnace; well lets take a look.

Cost For superheating:

12,473 Gold Ores @ 490 Each = 6,111,770gp

12,473 Nature Runes @ 241 Each = 3,005,993gp

TOTAL: 9,117,763gp

Cost for smelting:

okay, so right now smelting seems cheaper. But, now we need to find out how many hours it will take to earn the cash. as the example, I have listed 750k per hour.

Superheating: 9,117,763gp/750,000gp = 12.16 hours

furnace: 6,111,770gp/750,000gp = 8.15 hours

once again, smelting only is cheaper, but now there's a twist; how long it actually takes to smelt or superheat the ores into bars.

If we go to the timing section, I have found out it takes 58 seconds to superheat 27 gold ore, and 100 seconds to smelt 28 gold ores to bars. now we check how many hours this will take.

Superheating: 12,473 gold ore/ 1,675 per hour = 7.45 hours

Furnace: 12,473/ 1008 per hour = 12.45 hours

Therefore, if we add both the time it take to earn cash, and the time it takes to superheat or smelt, we should come up with...

Superheating: 12.16 + 7.45 = 19.61 hours

Furnace: 8.15 + 12.45 = 20.6 hours

Therefore if you earned 750k/ hour or more, Superheating the gold ores wearing gauntlets would be better. Not only is superheating gold ores with gauntlets faster by 1 hour, but you also gain 810k magic exp in the process.

Hopefully I cleared that up, feel free to ask any questions that's still on your mind if you like, and btw, it's about 40 seconds saving if you superheat, not 5 =P

tinysigqj9.png

You included superheating gold ores, but what about smelting them (and actually using a furnace)? I don't think it's worth paying 26 nature runes, just to win about 5 seconds.
Same with mithril bars, you could buy the coal and mith ore (both 180gp ea) and make 209gp profit per bar. However is superheating the bars much quicker than using the furnace?

Nice guide though. :) I'd never have thought that iron nails would make a small profit, and are quite quick. I hope mith bars via furnace is quicker though. :-#

imagangster.png

You included superheating gold ores, but what about smelting them (and actually using a furnace)? I don't think it's worth paying 26 nature runes, just to win about 5 seconds.
Same with mithril bars, you could buy the coal and mith ore (both 180gp ea) and make 209gp profit per bar. However is superheating the bars much quicker than using the furnace?

Nice guide though. :) I'd never have thought that iron nails would make a small profit, and are quite quick. I hope mith bars via furnace is quicker though. :-#

Furnace = 33 seconds/ 5 bars = 545 bars/hour

Superheating = 15 seconds/5 bars = 1200 bars/hour

Hmm okay, don't forget my guide is mainly focusing on getting the best experience you can. well lets take a look at an example.

lets say you wanted to get 500K exp in smithing; and you could earn 300K cash per hour. this would mean making 10,000 mithril bars.

1. The total cost:

Superheat: 370k loss after selling bars

Furnace: 2M gain after selling bars

2. Check how long it will take to earn the money. if you earnt 300k/hour..

Superheat: 370K/ 300K = 1.2 hours

Furnace: -2000K / 300K = -6.6 hours

3. Check how long it will take to superheat/smelt all the ores into bars.

Superheat: 10,000 / 1,200 bars per hour = 8.3 hours

Furnace: 10,000/ 545 bars per hour = 18.34 hours

4. Finally, we add the amount of hours in each method.

Superheat: 1.2 + 8.3 = 9.5 hours

Furnace: -6.6 + 18.3 = 11.7 hours

Therefore, if you could earn 300k per hour, superheating is definitely the better option; saving 2 hours, and also gaining 530K magic exp at no extra cost.

Hope that cleared some confusion up, mith bars via furnace is nearly twice as long per trip too =O.

Thanks. =)

tinysigqj9.png

[hide=Very long quote]I do have the normal smelting with furnace technique listed for smelting gold bar using a furnace, for techniques 300k, 400k, and 500k/hr.

Lets say you could earn 750k cash per hour (like in my training technique cut-off), and wanted to get from Level 40 - 70 smithing in the fastest time possible.

If we look on the best way to train section, it appears that I have only listed 'superheating gold ores to bars', and we will need to do this 12,463 times if i wanted to get from 40 - 70.

Now, your question is if it's better than just smelting them normally using a furnace; well lets take a look.

Cost For superheating:

Cost for smelting:

okay, so right now smelting seems cheaper. But, now we need to find out how many hours it will take to earn the cash. as the example, I have listed 750k per hour.

once again, smelting only is cheaper, but now there's a twist; how long it actually takes to smelt or superheat the ores into bars.

If we go to the timing section, I have found out it takes 58 seconds to superheat 27 gold ore, and 100 seconds to smelt 28 gold ores to bars. now we check how many hours this will take.

Therefore, if we add both the time it take to earn cash, and the time it takes to superheat or smelt, we should come up with...

Therefore if you earned 750k/ hour or more, Superheating the gold ores wearing gauntlets would be better. Not only is superheating gold ores with gauntlets faster by 1 hour, but you also gain 810k magic exp in the process.

Hopefully I cleared that up, feel free to ask any questions that's still on your mind if you like, and btw, it's about 40 seconds saving if you superheat, not 5 =P.[/hide]

Nice to see someone else who actually understands the meaning of the phrase "Time is money"!

You could just have said:

Superheating costs 3 mill more, but you save 5 hours => if you make more then 3 mill in 5 hours (600k per hour), use superheating; if you make less, use furnace.

Ps: I didn't think it would save so much time (i thought it took about 5 seconds).

Mith bars via furnace is 3.45k xp/hour faster than smelting iron bars with 174k cash extra per hour, but slower than iron nails by 9k xp/hour but 290k more cash per hour then. :P If I make 1200 nats (buying ess) an hour, and superheat 1200 bars, it''d be 3.95k xp faster than mithril bars with furnace with slightly less cash, correct? I just need to find out some things myself now, like how many gold and nats I can get an hour to see if it's worthwhile, though at the moment (unfortunately) iron nails still wins if I were to make no loss.

I've never really tried to make money, I do skills and it seems to bring me money in, if I did a constant method to make money I'd probably prefer to keep the materials I'm making than sell, so I prefer to DIY.

Thanks for the reply. :) And very nice guide if I haven't said so already.

Sorry for the many edits. :P

imagangster.png

[hide=Very long quote]I do have the normal smelting with furnace technique listed for smelting gold bar using a furnace, for techniques 300k, 400k, and 500k/hr.

Cost For superheating:

Cost for smelting:

Hopefully I cleared that up, feel free to ask any questions that's still on your mind if you like, and btw, it's about 40 seconds saving if you superheat, not 5 =P.[/hide]

Nice to see someone else who actually understands the meaning of the phrase "Time is money"!

You could just have said:

Superheating costs 3 mill more, but you save 5 hours => if you make more then 3 mill in 5 hours (600k per hour), use superheating; if you make less, use furnace.

Ps: I didn't think it would save so much time (i thought it took about 5 seconds).

Yeah, I usually show why 'x' technique is better than 'y' and show some evidence, otherwise some people wouldn't believe it =P

If I make 1200 nats (buying ess) an hour, and superheat 1200 bars, it''d be 3.95k xp faster than mithril bars with furnace with slightly less cash, correct?

Okay, lets find this out.

once again, comparing superheating against the furnace, but now we factor in making nature runes.

Suppose the prices: Pure ess 152; coal 180; mithril ore 180.

Superheat + make nats yourself: 57.6k gain after selling bars

Furnace: 240k gain after selling bars

superheat Time: 1200 nats = 30 mins

superheat 1.2k mith bars = 1 hour

Total = 1hr 30 mins

Furnace: 2 hours 12mins

Therefore:

Superheat + make nats: 400xp/min = 24K xp hr 38.4k cash/hr

Furnace: 272.72xp/min = 16.4K xp/hr & 90k cash/hr

So we establish that superheating is 7.6k xp faster per hour, but 51.6k cash less per hour than using the furnace. However, I cannot determine if it's better because i don't know how much you can potentially earn an hour, so you can figure that yourself. =P

tinysigqj9.png