An Interview, please read.

archimage_a

Would you partake in a story that may involve this sort of background information?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you partake in a story that may involve this sort of background information?

• The writing didn't make sense
    • Some bits made sense but I am not technically minded so I didn't understand it
    • The writing made sense
    • I would take part in a story that used this style of writing to give a flavour to the background.
    • _________Please do not vote for this option__________
    • Some bits made sense but some of it seemed over complicated.
    • I wouldn't take part in a story that used this style of writing, full stop.
    • I wouldn't take part in a story that used this style of writing in large amounts.
    • I would want to see more like this before I made up my mind.

Hey something new, please poll what you think.

An Interview with Luke Krill, 2009, published by LivaVisal BookBinding.

Designing SAI took roughly two hours while I was waiting for Zak to pick me up, I had been thinking about the idea as a general theory for some time but school and other meaningless things always seemed to get in the way of my education. When I finally put my mind to it I solved a number of problems that were considered when the first computers came out and the problems that have baffled scientists eternally. The most prolific being the Analogue-Digital Barrier. When a computer runs a program it runs in binary and from that binary sequence it develops more complex sequences. My first thought was that this had to be removed if Sentience was ever to be recreated in electronically form. Human Neurons do not have two functions; they have billions of functions, dependant on the job they have to do. Obviously I could not design a billion function switch, it would have simply been impossible today, let alone back then. No, I instead looked at the complicated structuring of the brain, the unlikely lines of thought. This caused me to begin thinking outside of folders and files and more in terms of bags, each bag containing all the related subject matter for that one thing, for instance the Dog bag would contain a bark, a general outline of a dog, a set of characteristics, some textures and so on. When the machine thought Dog the entire bag would be there, but also not there. The individual piece of information would unfold, just sparking all the other items in the bag, the more frequent their remembrance the more powerful the spark. Now I knew this would be no easy feat to accomplish, but I was sure it would work. The next problem came in the form of teaching, how did I put things in the bags? Well I can say my first thought was Why should I do it? there was no reason for me to put things in bags, I know where things go. It would be the spark that begun SAI. Imagine a baby, you cannot simply put stuff in, you have to get it to learn it, and invariably stuff goes in the wrong bag. The tree that is a house and the dog that is a cow, all errors that are made because the Babies brain cannot differentiate; this differential, I realised, was what we mean by intelligence. So I wrote a program that measured similarity, but before I go into that....

A computer essentially can only read and display the information, so showing it a picture of a dog would be pointless. What I needed to do was allow the computer to read a file, say a PNG image, and then not be able to save or display it, forcing it to convert it to another file type. That program was essentially hit and miss, getting the computer to randomly guess what the picture looked like, while trying to recognise a pattern. To be honest it was like trying to see a pattern in the tides by watching them for a few hours, anyone will tell you that things like weather, time of year as well as numerous other things go into the tidal system. It would have been much easier to simply code the answer in, but that would have defeated the object. I then got it to try to read a JPG, it struggled but its process was much faster, capable of using what was pre-existing for PNG to decipher what was meant, it still took weeks but we were making progress. Once the computer knew how to save file types, not though simple conversion but though a complex set of conversions that allowed the image to be regenerated from the raw data, it was possible to get similarities to form. Two picture of a dog, from different angles, could be compared for similarities, the issue here being that the computer was largely unaware that they were of the same dog and spent more effort working on the similar backgrounds. I found it necessary to teach the computer what a dog looked like, from all angles. This took the longest time, far shorter than it would have taken from scratch but still by far the longest time. The conversion between two dimensions and three dimensions required first a two dimensional net, then compilation, then finally extrapolation. The much faster identification of similarities, then the unexpected extrapolation of texture, intelligence was coalescing and so I moved from imputing algorithms to teaching English. It was then that I realised I was not programming a machine, I was educating a child.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• 2 months later...

Ok people I am recycling this thread, please vote, one above the 'Do not vote for this option' line and one below. Thank you to everyone that voted last time and thank you to everyone who will vote this time.

I understood,but I wouldn't take part in this,because its not exactly my style...

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

So if you were going to get involved in an RPG, set in the future, or in the past, how would you want technology and that sort of thing to be explained to you? I have personally always felt that games like Eve or Runescape don't give enough information. Eve just gives you a weapon and you are like 'Oh cool its more destructive by a marginal amount' and Runescape is the same, they are just weapons there is no backstory, you have no idea what goes into them. I like to think of it more like the newest type of Trainer...you spend ages getting the money together to buy it and then you have it and you feel really cool and then its normal and actually lots of people already have that...

I don't know. I want to give the world a third dimention, where as other RPGs focus on the Graphical sense I want to be able to do it in the interactive sense...your ultra super weapon isn't something that you spent thousands on, its something that you have personalised over the years, built it up from humble origins...or its just a normal thing being used in an extraordinary way. Sort of move away from the 'Sword forged by the tree elves' to the 'computer built by humans and personalised by me'.

I don't know, its difficult to convey in words.

*Sigh* This is against my better judgement but still, here are some much shorter news extracts. They are not designed to be about technology they are just news articles.

[hide=]Extract from the Washington Post, 1998, Frank Newsome.

I noticed two things while I was visiting London. The first was that were no shops. The second was that there were no homeless people.

Extract from the Wall Street Journal, 1995, Tim Springfield.

Winthrop and Thale are like two teenagers that are joyriding in a tank. They dont know where they are going and dont care who they hurt.

Extract from Living under the Red State, circa 2066. First edition 2012.

I remember hearing the Queen on the radio. I remember thinking that she had been captured. Somehow they were forcing her to say those things about the Government. It never crossed my mind that it might all be true.

Extract from Ryde Commune News-sheet, 2017, Rob Philips.

Twenty six years ago one man set out with a mission. Today we live in a utopia. A land where Poverty, Illness and Starvation do not threaten us, a land where you can be anything you want to be, regardless of your birth. So it is on this day we must commemorate that mans passing.

Extract from Kent County New-Sheet, 1995, Ethan James.

PEOPLE! Do not be taken in by the words of the PSP, they claim they are looking out for your interests, but what have they done? They have destroyed our economy. They have destroyed our Global Position and they have destroyed our freedom. We dont have to let this go on. In the words of Winston Churchill

"We shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving. The New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old. "

We must never surrender to the Red Terror. Vote for Freedom, Vote for the TU.[/hide]

If you read one or two of these would you be interested in a story involving this as part of the background?

I always liked one where you get the weapon,and when you examine it theres the backstory.Like NeverWinter Nights.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php ... ofkoth.jpg

That by the way,is what I've been using in the game with Scaurn.

devilgod.jpeg

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I kinda like this story, nice backing to it. And of course i've always been interested in technology and such.

Li Chef

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

Hello again!

If anyone is feeling up to it(The more the merrier) would anyone mind looking though this, saying what you thought was good? Not necceserly on the subject matter but if you have something you want to say then please do.

Just more source material I am afraid, but yet to get any suggestions on other ways of doing it*Rolls eyes*.

[hide=]Conservative electoral leaflet, Circa September 1994

The PSP was born of trouble and strife, and the apple never falls far from the tree.

Headline of News Line, 18th of February 1994

The Union of Workers, the separatist dreams of a conservative

PSP electoral leaflet, Circa January 1996

Support Kent, support progress, support the PSP

Extract from Daily Dais, 15th July 2022

When I first arrived in Dais I didnt know where I was going to sleep, what I was going to eat or if I would be alive tomorrow. Today I am the father of five, living with three others and eating at least as much.

Extract from series: How they lived. Episode: 43 From Capitalism to Democracy. Presented by Ferih Higgs. First released 2091, August 1st.

The decision to create the new counties, rather than keep the old ones, was more than just efficient, it was necessary. In the past areas had been divided into areas were votes would be worth more if they voted the right way. Winthrop took the corrupt system and made it fair, almost costing the PSP its re-election, but this stand against corruption set the standard for what was to come.

Extract from series: What if? : Without Strome Episode: 1. Presented by Ferih Higgs. First released 2084 January 18th.

In todays world we live without fear of destitution, but without one mans work we might never have achieved this. In this series of What If? we will look at what would have happened if Derek Strome, the Trotskyite that revealed the corruption in our nation, hadnt existed. Would we have lost our identity? Would we have been absorbed into Europa or even the failing Union States of America? Or would we have grown, like we did, and create a second British Empire? We will explore all of these possibilities, and many more over the coming weeks.

Extract from South American Macro-Net, Site: Toviz. First posted 2010 12th October, edited a total of five times. Last edited 2010 19th October, recorded by Kent Archive 2019 recovered from Kent Archive 2132.

Two days ago our nation sent billions of Peso worth of aid to America. Am I alone in thinking that enough is enough? Alone in thinking that these nations should take a page out of our book and stand on their own two feet? They are suffering from a mess they got themselves into and now they want us to bail them out, I say we sell them what they need, squeeze their pitiful nation and ensure that we will never be challenged when it comes to the Americas.

Children Nursery Rhyme, taken from Gorvan collected Rhymes, first published 1998.

Ring a ring o Roses

A pocket full of posies

Atch chew! atch chew!

We all fall down.

Children Nursery Rhyme, taken from Gorvan collected Rhymes, first published 1998, reprint in 2012

Ring a ring a Roses

A pocket full of posies

Aten Chen! Aten chen!

We all fall down.

Number 1 Song on the British Charts, two weeks at the top. Kent Archive, entered July 6th 2043, accessed 2130

Paths

The madness

The horror

The path I walk along

The danger

The murder

The path I must take

Wind on an red glowing fortress

He threatens the town

Wind on an ivory mind

The next step is mine to take

The hurricane on the streets

They're his to command

The fires and terrors

Are mine to stop

Peace of mind

With my knife

I bestow a new age

And you are all free

Freedom is on the breeze[/hide]

Just a couple of suggestions. You might want to add a few American news headlines (USA TODAY... erm... The Detriot Free Press, I dunno)

Also, unless you're changing it on purpose, I always thought it was

Ring around the rosy

Pocket full of posy

Ashes, ashes

We all fall down. (ABOUT THE BLACK PLAGUE... people turned red from the fever, posy was supposed to keep it away, they burned all the dead people, and you're all gonna die from it... but you probably already knew that)

Also it might help to know the genre of music to the song. It'd be way different if it was metal than if it was a sort of folk/country thing. (I think it should be a death metal song :twisted: )

btw the hide doesn't work because you ended it with

not [/hide]

For flip sake...every time I do this I click hide and gives quotes and then I try to change it and get distracted.

But anyway. In Britian it is, as of when I learnt it, Atch chew. I was looking it on Wikipedia, because I can't spell atch chew off the top of my ahead and there are alot of varriation. But the reason it is Atch chew is because of winter(I think) you would get a cold or something and that would be that, you were dead.

Additionally, I don't know what type of music it is. When me and the person who is good at song writing(not me) wrote it we though it would be a very dark song, probably a mix of orchestra and metal...Personally it would be something like O'Fortuna, but in sources you don't usually get a proper evalutation of the tune...it will almost always be Such and such Traditional or Such and Such folk...the only exception I know of are nursary rhymes.

Interesting. Anyway, so in the US it's usually like how I wrote it before. And is there a genre to the song? Can I say it's death metal 'cause it would go so well, the guy just screaming his head off? Or normal metal (?) like Rammstein or DragonForce.

Interesting. Anyway, so in the US it's usually like how I wrote it before. And is there a genre to the song? Can I say it's death metal 'cause it would go so well, the guy just screaming his head off? Or normal metal (?) like Rammstein or DragonForce.

There is no normal metal.That is a myth.Rammstein is Heavy,known as "normal".DragonForce is either speed or power,depending on whether you want to create a whole genre for a band whose 3 albums all sound the same.

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Well... you could always find a tune that sort of goes with the music from your perpective and write some timings. As someone who has never listened to any sort of metal (well in any real sense) most of this is going over my head.

The rhyme would probably be the same, though I was toying with the idea of:

Ring around the Rosies(Brits)

With their pockets full of Toadies(French)

Ashes! Ashes!

They all fall down.

(For anyone who doesn't get that, Rose was the colour of Britian on maps, something which would be played up because of events, and the French look and sound like Frogs...apparently.)

^The war of the Roses?Their insignia was basically the same in different colors :lol:

And I was thought:(in pronounciation) A-tissue (or) atish-hew.

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Well its not really a word as much as sound so...anything is right I suppose, as long as it sounds right.

The war of the Roses is interesting but not right, I am afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I would totally take part in an RPG like this.

Because technology, especially living technology, is cool. Living as in thinking, not as in breathing.

I can see how this could go...in like 30 different ways.