Ugh, Going idle.

Roberthree

Short rant, but I hate going idle... Seriously, I'm fishing and then BAM it logs me out. Then I have to log back in, turn my run back on, re enter my pin, and waste time. It wouldn't be so bad if it only happened occasionally but it happens 20+ times a day to me. Moving fishing spots and the big fish are annoying enough, STOP LOGGING ME OUT!

I agree with thread starter. It happens a lot when smelting things such as iron or sliver too. Or making pottery. Fortunately, I really don't mess with pottery to much anymore.

The pause idea is just fruity. You would have a ton of people on that aren't doing nothing, paused, just sitting around doing nothing. Especially with the abundance of people with broadband, always on Internet these days.

in4F.gif

The pause idea is just fruity. You would have a ton of people on that aren't doing nothing, paused, just sitting around doing nothing. Especially with the abundance of people with broadband, always on Internet these days.

Yeah, that's assuming Jagex were complete idiots and wouldn't do anything to combat it. The pause could only last two minutes - people could take bathroom breaks, get a drink, etc. Then you can have a 30 minute cool-down so people don't keep pausing and abusing it. The main reason they log you out was to fight macroers.

It could at least be extended to 3 or 4 minutes so that I can finish a load of fish without being logged out.

Inb4 "Raise ur fushing lololol". I'm 95. Can't go much higher than that >_>

A pause button wouldn't really help me here =/

Even with the time limit, you would still have a bunch of people standing around doing nothing. How many people are playing? I can promise you, Jagex will never add a pause option (function) like that to the game. Dead Horse as far as I am concerned once again.

And once again, this is not the debate board.

in4F.gif

Even with the time limit, you would still have a bunch of people standing around doing nothing. How many people are playing? I can promise you, Jagex will never add a pause option (function) like that to the game. Dead Horse as far as I am concerned once again.

Yeah, they probably won't since there are so many other things they could be working on. All I'm saying is it's not that idiotic of an idea - it's completely possible. Other games have it and it worked. And I know it's not relevant to Fishing, but it would still be helpful for those who want to take a short break and not logout.

And by not debating, he means he doesn't want to argue with me since it got him between a rock and a hard place the last time we did it.

PS: Just logged out cause I was on this thread too long. :lol:

This is exactly what I mean about the "Can't beat em, then flame em!" :roll:

PS: Sorry you had to see this Robert. I, for one, didn't think he would continue this feud onto other threads.

This is dumb. AFKing is against the rules. Dont you read the stupid Stronghold Of Security?

"Is it ok to leave the room if my account is logged in?"

-Yes <---

-No

-If Im quick

"Correct! Anything can happen while your logged in and not paying attention....blah blah blah"

I wish you people would read; you live in a developed county that has internet, and you still cannot read!

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

This is dumb. AFKing is against the rules. Dont you read the stupid Stronghold Of Security?

-Yes <---

-No

-If Im quick

"Correct! Anything can happen while your logged in and not paying attention....blah blah blah"

I wish you people would read; you live in a developed county that has internet, and you still cannot read!

Exactly. That's why adding onto the logout time wouldn't work. It's against Jagex's intentions. However, when you pause, you can't train but at least you don't have to type in your pass and pin again if you go to get a drink.

-Yes <---

-No

-If Im quick

Since when is watching youtube or reading /b/ away from my keyboard?

On a technical level, AFKing actual means: "Not paying attention". On WOW, you can be at the keyboard as long as you want, but if you're not actively playing, then your character sits down and "AFK" appears above the head.

It's kind of like "lol". People really don't laugh out loud that much. It's meant to be taken symbolically rather than literally.

Most people do other things while playing RS. So I am not downing you for eating or browsing in other tabs/windows while playing. But this is exactly why you are being logged out. You can do something such as smelting, be watching the screen the whole time and as long as you don't make mouse movements in the RS applet, you will eventually be logged out.

The only solution to this is, is to keep your hand on the mouse, move it around occasionally and do things such as check your stats or something. I too have been logged out while fishing/smelting/making pottery while actually paying attention to the game. I just didn't have my hand on the mouse. It would be nice if this did not happen, but I seriously doubt Jagex is gonna do any thing about it. This also is closely tied to bots/making sure you are actually playing.

in4F.gif

Yay, Monkey and I agree on something. :mrgreen:

The RS rules and the SoS use it literally though. If everyone who ever played Rs without paying attention was banned, then RS would have next to no players.

They really only meant on an extreme level though - as in macroing to train your skills. Just think about their Offensive Language rule. The word "noob" is offensive, right? But yet you will not get in trouble for it. Technically, yes, Fishing and browsing are an example of AFKing - but not to an extreme level that would get you in trouble. You'd get in trouble for macroing (AFK to the extreme), not for Fishing and browsing. And just compare macroing to a person being able to train for 5 minutes at a time. They are very similar.

I like the idea of increasing the limit to 2-3 minutes before logging out. After all, there are many legitimate reasons to leave the keyboard. For example: My dog just had puppies. This means that I need to check on them every 5-10 minutes plus whenever they cry. This, as you can imagine, really puts a crimp in my gaming and is also the reason why I'm up at 3:30 A.M. Getting logged out every seven minutes is not fun, at least not for me.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

I'm apt to agree that the time limit needs to be turned up a bit. If you are unable to fish a full load of lobbies (or other fish) without getting logged out, its a bit short (I have experienced it firsthand). It does make you have to move the mouse a bit, although I'm not sure if that always works, so I make certain to change what view I have (inventory, skills, friends, etc). Something that helps is if you have friends online to chat with while you are fishing or doing other tasks. You can also try "singing" in game (type out the lyrics as you do your activity). Try and get something that suits the local and/or activity.

Pay attention to the god damn game then, if you want to train - watch your character.

Basically, you're ranting to us because you direct your attention elsewhere and by the time you're back to the RS screen, you're logged off.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

infam0us911, if my attention is on the game, but I'm not actively doing anything because my character is performing an action, I can get logged out.

Perhaps you have not experienced this, but I have.

While fishing, this is quite common, as, if you are not fishing for some of the easiest to catch items, it can take quite a bit of time to fill up your inventory.

It can also happen on a particularly stubborn piece of ore, if you are having an unlucky streak and, perhaps, get a gem while mining a piece of ore, it can (and has) take long enough that you will idle out.

I've even had it happen while training combat skills on aggros. The creatures are aggro, so I don't have to click on a new on all the time, they come to me. They aren't hitting me very hard, so I don't have to worry about healing too much. Sitting there, watching the screen and bam, logged out.

So, you CAN be paying attention to the screen, WATCHING what is happening to your character and still get idled out. You do not have to be actively doing something with your mouse to be paying attention to your game.