Installing RAM=Beeping Noises

PumpkinPete112

Well i tried to intall my new ram. I did it on my matress and didnt move much, and touched a piece of metal not connected to the computer beforehand (and during) I put the RAM in and i got beeping noises and what sounds like the computer running extremely fast. If its fired im (multipled explitives). Anyway to save it? Im planning on taking all the ram but the original out, but im guessing i just screwed myself. (im panicking extremelty extremely bad becuase my folks are gonna kill me hardcore)

Details: It sounds like the computer is running way too fast at bootup,with reapeating long beeping noises. I tried taking out all the extra memory but its still no good. Im honestly asking for your best guess and all opinions, from the bottom of my heart.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!

UPDATE: I flipped the ram around and put it into the 4th slot. I heard a snap in sound (not like a breaking sound) I plugged it in and its now just buzzing extremelty loud and im not getting any picture from the monitor.

Sig

You did this thing on your mattress?! Regardless of whether or not you're grounded, a mattress is still a static electricity playground, so do it on a table, desk, or otherwise static-free area.

Anyway, the beeps can mean one of three things.

1) The RAM module is defective. The vast majority of RAM chips you'll ever buy are covered by a lifetime warranty, so call the manufacturer up and ask for a replacement. Check with the company to make sure that they'll handle it, too -- don't go assuming.

2) The RAM module has been chipped. This means that one of the metal connectors is no longer attached to the module. Best bet is to try to get an exchange from the store -- not sure if the warranty will cover those kinds of damages.

3) The RAM is incompatible with your machine. Motherboards are fickle when it comes to the type of memory you put into it. You have to make absolutely sure that you have either the correct module to use, or at least a supported module (for instance, some motherboards will "underclock" RAM sockets to accommodate slower RAM). If this is the case, then you're pretty much out the cost of the RAM (unless you can get a refund), plus the cost of the correct RAM.

Hope that helps. I'd like to know the name of the motherboard and the RAM you're using, maybe that'll help a little more.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.