Having issues accessing... [solved/lock]

darkblade986

Alright, so this started on about Thursday. All of a sudden, I'm not able to access some websites, and I have no clue why.

Firefox 2.0.0.17

Any add-ons deactivated, with no affect

Error is "The connection has timed out: The server at [site] is taking too long to respond."

It happened suddenly and all at once. I'm on a college network (that evidently does not have a reverse DNS hostname, according to Pure_MageUK), and I have a router connected through that network as well. I've disabled my firewall to no affect, and I've even tried connecting through the connection directly (no router), and again it did nothing. The strange thing is that the school's computers could connect to these sites just fine.

I'm running virus scans right now just to make sure, but does anyone have any ideas?

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Check your hosts file to make sure you aren't being maliciously redirected to sites?

A HJT log wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if we'll see anything. The first thing you need to do is re-enable that firewall. Crippling your computer's security isn't going to help you out at all.

Also, did you do anything different on Thursday? Install new programs, visit a site you hadn't been to?

You may want to go ahead and clear your cache and history too, maybe something is in there, idk.

One other thing you could do - connect to a proxy server, and try to get on the website from there. If you can get on from a few of them, we know there's a problem on your computer. (Waits for DVD to come ramble about TCP/IP stacks being attacked)

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Check your hosts file to make sure you aren't being maliciously redirected to sites?

Explain that one to me. I'm not being redirected, I'm being flat-out denied.

A HJT log wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if we'll see anything.

When my virus scanners finish, I'll get around to that.

The first thing you need to do is re-enable that firewall. Crippling your computer's security isn't going to help you out at all.

I only turned it off for a moment to see if it was blocking something for some reason. It's already back up.

Also, did you do anything different on Thursday? Install new programs, visit a site you hadn't been to?

Hmmm... not that I can think of... [opens Windows Search to check what appeared on that date]

You may want to go ahead and clear your cache and history too, maybe something is in there, idk.

Don't let Firefox keep the history. If someone wants to see where I'm going, I'm going to make them dig for it.

No effect.

One other thing you could do - connect to a proxy server, and try to get on the website from there. If you can get on from a few of them, we know there's a problem on your computer.

Could you explain that process (setting one up)? I've never had issues like this, so I wouldn't know about work arounds like that. Any suggestions for one too?

[hide=HYJ Log]Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 11:53:41 PM, on 10/25/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\libusbd-nt[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\stsystra[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\rapimgr[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\CPSHelpRunner[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis[Caution: ExecutableFile]

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&cli ... bd=0071113

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = http://www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&cli ... bd=0071113

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll

O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {F4D76F01-7896-458a-890F-E1F05C46069F} - C:\Program Files\AskPBar\bar\1.bin\ASKPBAR.DLL (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {F4D76F09-7896-458a-890F-E1F05C46069F} - C:\Program Files\AskPBar\bar\1.bin\ASKPBAR.DLL (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32[Caution: ExecutableFile] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz[Caution: ExecutableFile] /installquiet

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVHotkey] rundll32[Caution: ExecutableFile] nvHotkey.dll,Start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32[Caution: ExecutableFile] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon[Caution: ExecutableFile]] C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KADxMain] C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch[Caution: ExecutableFile]" -start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG[Caution: ExecutableFile]" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst[Caution: ExecutableFile] /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP[Caution: ExecutableFile] /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP[Caution: ExecutableFile] /IMEName

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask[Caution: ExecutableFile]" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iSUSPM Startup] c:\progra~1\common~1\instal~1\update~1\isuspm[Caution: ExecutableFile] -startup

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [bitTorrent DNA] "C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office10\EXCEL[Caution: ExecutableFile]/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI3AA1~1\INetRepl.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/s ... wflash.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CDE994AE-D86F-405B-B6EA-37BCA690F2CB}: NameServer = 66.206.177.6,66.28.0.45,66.28.0.61

O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL

O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: LibUsb-Win32 - Daemon, Version 0.1.10.1 (libusbd) - http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net - C:\WINDOWS\system32\libusbd-nt[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC[Caution: ExecutableFile]

--

End of file - 9498 bytes[/hide]

EDIT: Something I just realized that I forgot to mention. I tried to connect to the internet on my PS3 earlier as well, and I was getting an error connecting to the Playstation Network. At first, I could connect fine, but then I couldn't access EA online servers. Then I couldn't access the network at all. I receive the error code 8002AD3D, which doesn't really tell me much, and when I do a connection test, it's able to obtain an IP address and get an internet connection. I can use its browser, however it ends up with the exact same issues.

Also, I have my laptop assigned a Static IP address with my router for port forwarding reasons, however I did that at least two weeks ago.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I'm going to (for the moment) rule a virus infection out, if you were able to access these sites fine a few days before, and you haven't downloaded anything within that time frame, or went to dodgy sites. This means that it goes outside of the scope of your computer, and there may be little we could do to help.

My guess is that it's somehow related to the college's firewall. It could have limited your access to certain sites, or you could have a bandwidth cap that prohibits you from going to any further websites. It could even be a random bad time to connect.

Check with your IT department's Internet Policy. They might have a few clauses and things in there you need to know about accessing the network.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Explain that one to me. I'm not being redirected, I'm being flat-out denied.

I just kindof threw it out there. I didn't think there was anything there, but it's better to cover all your bases than leave open a weak spot because you thought it was secure.

Could you explain that process (setting one up)? I've never had issues like this, so I wouldn't know about work arounds like that. Any suggestions for one too?

http://proxy.org/ Copy address of site, paste it in there. Paste it to the proxy service it redirects you too, and then try. You don't have to set anything up, just go and see if you can get on the sites. Don't enter any information, or do much else, just check and see if you can access sites that were otherwise blocked.

EDIT: Something I just realized that I forgot to mention. I tried to connect to the internet on my PS3 earlier as well, and I was getting an error connecting to the Playstation Network. At first, I could connect fine, but then I couldn't access EA online servers. Then I couldn't access the network at all. I receive the error code 8002AD3D, which doesn't really tell me much, and when I do a connection test, it's able to obtain an IP address and get an internet connection. I can use its browser, however it ends up with the exact same issues.

It's some sort of networking error. Fixes seem to range from unplugging the router to changing DNS clients, or disabling media sharing and upnp. Probably fixing your computer's error will get rid of this one.

Also, I have my laptop assigned a Static IP address with my router for port forwarding reasons, however I did that at least two weeks ago.

That shouldn't really have any effect on this issue.

A few more things I thought of, that may or may not be useful:

Switching Browsers. See if you get the same problem in IE as you do in FF. You may well have the same problem, but it's worth the 20 seconds needed to find out.

Your HJT looks clean as well, so idk what it could be. Maybe the sites are having intermittent failure due to a somewhat weak DDoS attack or something? Unless it's a rather large site, it's possible (brings up TIF issue, and 4chan issue, both of which had rather large fanbases). Hell, my friend said the website for the WoW private server he plays on went down for a bit, so few websites are safe (save the big boys like Google).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

[/hide]

darkblade986, have you tried traceroutes and such in an attempt to see what your connection path looks like? And have you tried http://www.nwtools.com in "Express Mode" to check to see if the sites are even stable? :-s

Given that your playstation had the same problems, and is running on Linux (and not Win-blows) or whatever Sony put there, I can more-or-less rule out your PC at this time. I, like others, also suggest getting in touch with the College's IT Staff in an attempt to figure out this matter. For all we know, they're using MAC Address Lists to control who can access what resources and services, and that is what is breaking everything. :geek:

And BTW, I looked at your HJT log... It is clean as a whistle, from what I can see. :-w (That whistle emote I am using is intended in a good way...)

~D. V. "Time to check the routers you're connecting through." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Maybe update to FF3?
Right now, with the problems they are having, that would be an awful thing to try to attempt. Further, it might result in something getting broken. They need to fix the true problem that they are having before they can do something like that. :geek:

BTW, I've seen enough problems lately with FF 2.0.0.17 (and later) that it may be worth downgrading to 2.0.0.16 once this problem is fixed. (Please, just don't yell at me over this. I'm just following an instinct that tells me, "The latest is not always the greatest.") :-k

~D. V. "That wouldn't be good right now..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

For all we know, they're using MAC Address Lists to control who can access what resources and services, and that is what is breaking everything. :geek:

Yeah, they are using those. However, I have every system of mine registered right now. My PS3's, my laptop's and my router's MAC addresses are all registered with the system.

Going to go try these suggestions real quick.

EDIT1: Proxy worked... Wonder what the school has against XKCD... (REEDIT: Now i just have to find which proxy worked for me the first time...)

EDIT2: Resetting router did nothing, undoing my Static IP did nothing, forcing my router to change my IP did nothing, IE couldn't load the page.

[hide=EDIT3]IP address: 205.146.52.133

No host name is associated with this IP address or no reverse lookup is configured. (Mentioned that in my first post; it caused hell with me doing crew work when I first came to the campus)

Error:Timed out

205.146.52.133 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute to 205.146.52.133

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name

1 24 9 5 72.249.0.65 -

2 11 11 6 64.129.174.181 64-129-174-181.static.twtelecom.net

3 7 11 10 66.192.240.94 peer-01-ge-5-0-0.dlfw.twtelecom.net

4 16 16 8 154.54.6.93 te8-2.mpd01.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com

5 14 14 12 154.54.5.130 te3-1.mpd02.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com

6 45 42 49 154.54.2.245 te3-7.mpd02.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com

7 61 45 46 154.54.7.6 vl3498.mpd01.dca02.atlas.cogentco.com

8 56 61 40 154.54.2.50 te8-1.ccr01.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com

9 48 53 50 154.54.5.33 gi2-0-0.core01.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com

10 59 50 50 154.54.3.26 po6-0.core01.pit02.atlas.cogentco.com

11 54 53 53 38.112.39.58 vl3808.na21.b016104-1.pit02.atlas.cogentco.com

12 51 50 66 38.99.208.62 robertmorriscollege.demarc.cogentco.com

13 60 61 58 205.146.48.18 laf-vrfrtr-01-sp-pool.ni.rmu.edu

14 52 55 53 66.206.185.201 laf-dcor-01-vl550.ni.rmu.edu

15 58 60 56 66.206.185.1 laf-core-01-vl501.ni.rmu.edu

16 54 50 57 66.206.185.46 jef-dist-01-vl509.ni.rmu.edu[/hide]

f475e02ecc.png

Time to go ask the IT guys what's up. If a proxy worked (I would just skip mentioning that part, as it's probably against school rules to use one, even if it was for innocent purposes), but your regular connection didn't, you've probably been blocked from certain sites. Go ask them what's wrong, explain what you're trying to look at, and they will be able to either explain why you've been blocked, or come and fix the problem.

Don't try to proxy through things. In general, it's against the internet use policies for schools. I only suggested it as a diagnostic test, not a fix. Plus, you don't know if those proxies were legitimately set up, or the result of a viral infection, which may make connecting illegal (though the chances of the Feds coming after you for looking at a webcomic are rather slim, it's still possible).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

[/hide]

Time to go ask the IT guys what's up.

Guess I'll do that tomorrow. As far as I can tell, the IT Desk is located near my first class and its closed on Sunday, so hopefully they'll be able to tell what's up...

*thinks for a moment*

Suppose I should take my laptop to dinner with me and connect to the near-campus-wide wireless network. That would determine whether its the connection to my dorm's connection or my connection with the school. Like I mentioned before, the computer's in the school's computer labs gave me no issues at all connecting to the sites. (EDIT: well then... I can get onto the sites just fine from any other network on campus. It seems to just hate mine...)

f475e02ecc.png

Time to go ask the IT guys what's up.

Guess I'll do that tomorrow. As far as I can tell, the IT Desk is located near my first class and its closed on Sunday, so hopefully they'll be able to tell what's up...

*thinks for a moment*

Suppose I should take my laptop to dinner with me and connect to the near-campus-wide wireless network. That would determine whether its the connection to my dorm's connection or my connection with the school. Like I mentioned before, the computer's in the school's computer labs gave me no issues at all connecting to the sites. (EDIT: well then... I can get onto the sites just fine from any other network on campus. It seems to just hate mine...)

Not to annoy, but might I suggest getting a different personal router for your dorm room, then? Or maybe turn off the dhcp/dns in your current one, and rig it in a bypass mode as to directly connect you to the campus dhcp/dns systems? :geek:

~D. V. "Hopefully, that would work?" Devnull

It wasn't the router. I had also tried using the same wall socket that my router was using to connect straight into my computer; same problem.

Either way, I talked with the techies this morning and they said they got reports about it about the same time that I did. They said that the issue should be resolved today, and sure enough everything is working now. So this topic is no longer necessary; thank you for your help everyone.

f475e02ecc.png