adding runescape prices to an excel file.

Skyeam

Hello,

The introducing of the GE-database makes the life of us players a lot easier. However, I still find myself clicking daily trough too many pages, with too long load times. I would like to add certain GE items, with their prices, date, graph, and so on to a centralized place.

For this I took excel, because it's pretty good at doing basic handling of information. However, when I use web queries in excel to get runescape pages, I just get a bunch of mess. I would like to only take the prices, name, price change and so on (anything relevant) and not all that random stuff like "Go To Homepage" in my excel.

However, I have no idea how I could do that. I've looked how I can get updates from the GE, (like they do in the tip-it price guide), but it's php and so on (which I don't know anything about) and thus not competent for doing what I want in excel.

Thus, I'm looking for some help for making a decent centralized place for some Runescape prices:

First of all: Should I stick with MS excel for this, of should I change to MS access or something else? Should I use another kind of excel like Openoffice Calc?

Then: How could I realise this in the chosen program?

Finally: Is this the right subforum? Or should this be in Tech and Computers?

Thank you for at least reading this!

Btw: Using MS office 2007 and OpenOffice 3.0, In possession of MS office 2003 and OpenOffice 2.0

There is like 5 programs in General Forum that do this already and are a lot better than excel. Go look through General.

I searched, but I could only find price checkers, just like the GE database website actually is. I don't need those things, I need to be able to make calculations with those data. I will be making automatic future predictions and so on, to help merchandising. But I need the prices to be automatically updated in my worksheet.

I use something similar to what you want. It involves a dynamic website someone made for me in PHP by some guy I know.

It ripped the medium prices of the site's Grand Exchange Database based on its dynamic url (ie: Item X has code 2151 (see url on any item on the GE), so the homemade site looked the medium price of that item by adjusting the URL so that "i=2151", the item was looked up.)

I then used a webquery to extract just the one line of data.

Sadly though, I can no longer do it due to Excel being locked up (Trial version of Home & Student...) and him blocking up the site he made because I was wasting too much of his bandwidth.

Either way, I could probaby get him tell me the code. So if you had access to your personal space place it on, you could use it as you would please. Just make sure that if you do, you use a Macro to update prices rather than auto, or you'd might get a notice from the webmaster.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I use something similar to what you want. It involves a dynamic website someone made for me in PHP by some guy I know.

It ripped the medium prices of the site's Grand Exchange Database based on its dynamic url (ie: Item X has code 2151 (see url on any item on the GE), so the homemade site looked the medium price of that item by adjusting the URL so that "i=2151", the item was looked up.)

I then used a webquery to extract just the one line of data.

Sadly though, I can no longer do it due to Excel being locked up (Trial version of Home & Student...) and him blocking up the site he made because I was wasting too much of his bandwidth.

Either way, I could probaby get him tell me the code. So if you had access to your personal space place it on, you could use it as you would please. Just make sure that if you do, you use a Macro to update prices rather than auto, or you'd might get a notice from the webmaster.

That would be really helpful! Any idea when you could have the code?

On your problem: You could use a free spreadsheet maybe like openoffice or staroffice. Secondly, aren't there any free webhost you can use? Even if they shut you website down after a month, there are still so many others which provide php support for free.

Yes, but OpenOffice doesn't not support the already existing webqueries. And I can't be bothered re-entering 110+ queries.

I bet the sheets you want are quite similar to this:

excelcon.jpg

An outdated (no longer updated etc) version, but it still shows just what I do with my Excel (this is one of the smallest). I only have to enter 2 variables (Goal LVL and whether the ring of duelling is made or bought). Everything else is automatic.

The code should be delivered any second. Want it PMed or posted?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I found this code and it worked pretty well. However, I decided I would better go with an access database. In that way I can store prices in a better way. After that I can insert them into an excel file anyway.

Thus currently I'm looking for a way to store those prices from the GE in a database, and I think there are better ways than this code. However, I still appreciate your help, and that excel is exactly what I'm planning. Also things like high alchemy loss can be calculated really fast that way.

<?php

function getprice($id) {

$url = "http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/viewitem.ws?obj=".$id;

$startat = "Market price: ";

$stopat = "";

$ch = curl_init();

$timeout = 5;

curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);

curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);

curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, $timeout);

$start = curl_exec($ch);

curl_close($ch);