Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Herblore Habitat

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Warrior
Bear with me, this is my first guide on Tip.it.

Herblore Habitat

Posted Image

I. Introduction
II. Requirements and gear
III. Getting started
IV. Unlocking clothes - catching all jadinko's

a. Starting out
b. Simple jadinko's
c. Juju-hunter potions
d. Remaining jadinko's
e. God jadinko's

V. Potion rewards

a. Obtaining herbs
b. Scentless potions [lv. 59+ Herblore]
c. Juju farming potion [lv. 64+ Herblore]
d. Juju fishing potion [lv. 70+ Herblore and lv. 80+ fishing]
e. Guthix's gift [lv. 75+ Herblore, lv. 80+ Farming]
f. Zamorak's favour [lv. 75+ Herblore, lv. 80+ Farming]
g. Saradomin's blessing [lv. 75+ Herblore, lv. 80+ Farming]
h. Juju mining potion [lv. 74+ Herblore, lv. 80+ Farming]

VI. Hunter training

a. Preliminary
b. Common jadinko's [lv. 70+]
c. Carrion jadinko's [lv. 77+]
d. Draconic jadinko's [lv. 80+]
e. God jadinko's [lv. 81+]

VII. Jadinko lair

a. Intro
b. Offering stone and favour points
c. Curly roots firemaking [lv. 83+ woodcutting and lv. 83+ firemaking]
d. Straight roots fletching [lv. 83+ woodcutting and lv. 83+ fletching]
e. Mutated vines woodcutting [lv. 83+ woodcutting]
f. Slaying mutated jadinko's [lv. 80+/86+/91+ slayer]

VIII. Number crunching - efficiency

a. Juju farming potion
b. Scentless potion
c. God potions

IX. Tips & Hints

a. Tracking routes
b. Other

X. Disclaimer
XI. Thanks and improvement

------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Introduction

Introduced on November 24th, 2010, Herblore Habitat is minigame centering on combining herblore, farming and hunter (and some construction) in order to catch 13 kinds of Jadinko's, velociraptor-like critters, for a crazy shaman, Papa Mambo, and his unstable fetish for his oversized plant. Rewarding people with new (untradeable) potions and new hunter creatures.

Regardless of the disturbing mental images and Jurassic Park flashbacks, the minigame offers quite a nice number of rewards. However, I've noticed how people quickly scoff it off as either too difficult to manage or too inefficient. Neither of which are true. Due to the lack of guides, I've decided to post a guide to inform the masses and kindle some love for this otherwise quickly discarded minigame.

II. Requirements and gear

III. Getting started

IV. Unlocking clothes - catching all jadinko's

V. Potion rewards

VI. Hunter training

VII. Jadinko lair

VIII. Number crunching - efficiency

IX. Tips & Hints

X. Disclaimer

XI. Thanks and improvement

Special thanks to:

• alex_lee81: For showing me the Carrion-igneous combo
• Grimy Bunyip: Aiding me whilst making the Google docs-sheet.
• Auror: For the tip
• Iiccee: For pointing out several things; including that you need a Juju hunter affected potion to see the requirement message for god jadinko's
• Several people: for pointing out that only Pungent vines can be used for compost

Data contributors:

If you feel like contributing, send me the following data whenever you're hunting a jadinko:

1) Which jadinko('s)
2) {#caught}/{certain time} eg: (214/hour)
3) Herb seeds obtained: all of them

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading!

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

Stats and logs

Vex
[ Display Name History ]

Vex

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • RSN:Platebeard
Excellent formatting and layout btw. Once the content is finished I'm sure this will be AOW material.
Posted Image
http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
Updated with potion data.
If anyone is willing to volunteer, send me some data. By this I mean:

- Which jadinko you hunted
- Did you use boosts? (ie: Familiar, Oo'glog spa, bait, camouflage gear and/or scentless potion
- How many you caught in a certain timeframe (eg: 26 common jadinko in 4 minutes 39)
- How many seeds they dropped and which (eg: after catching 54 common jadinko I had 2 Erzille and 3 green blossom seeds)

Your help will be greatly appreciated to help this guide become analytically correct.

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs

Stats and logs

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
Very nice, using this right now.

JacTise69
[ Display Name History ]

JacTise69

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 514 posts
For your first guide this is great. Only thing I would like to see is exp rates for hunter herblore and farming while doing this, possibly by adding a section for the best methods of just straight up training those skills respectively.
Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Posted Image

Alistair
[ Display Name History ]

Alistair

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Ali T
After catching 50 Carrion Jadinkos, I had 3 Erzille seeds, 3 Ugune seeds and 1 Samaden seed. Only using partial camouflage. So I'd say the guesstimate on the rates of Carrion are a bit off. I rarely get any less than 3 herb seeds in 50 trappings. Was I meant to mail you that? :P You can also combine hunting Carrion (which are great as stackable supercompostables btw) and Diseased as they are in the same area using compatible attraction methods.

Maybe it's worth noting that it's possible to do all 7 herb patches with a single Juju potion (start at Trollheim, Camelot teleport, Ardougne patch teleport, Ectophial, Cabbage teleport, Witchdoctor mask) if you think that dose is really worth saving...

I'm not clear about the part where you can justify the Fishing Potion but not the Cooking potion? You said the Juju gumbo was outclassed by Saradomin brew yet it heals more in one bite without a drop to offenses. Presumably you meant something on the lines of a dose of fishing potion meaning several Baron sharks compared to a a dose of the cooking potion which leads to one gumbo.

Otherwise, it's looking very good so far :thumbup:
Posted Image

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

After catching 50 Carrion Jadinkos, I had 3 Erzille seeds, 3 Ugune seeds and 1 Samaden seed. Only using partial camouflage. So I'd say the guesstimate on the rates of Carrion are a bit off. I rarely get any less than 3 herb seeds in 50 trappings. Was I meant to mail you that? :P You can also combine hunting Carrion (which are great as stackable supercompostables btw) and Diseased as they are in the same area using compatible attraction methods.

Very interesting. I was aware of the supercompost stackable and was planning to add them to Hunting section once I felt like doing it. Otherwise, thank you for the data.

Maybe it's worth noting that it's possible to do all 7 herb patches with a single Juju potion (start at Trollheim, Camelot teleport, Ardougne patch teleport, Ectophial, Cabbage teleport, Witchdoctor mask) if you think that dose is really worth saving...

I was aware, and I vid my first attempt at it, yet failed when I accidentally teleported with the Tool Leprechaun. <_<

I'm not clear about the part where you can justify the Fishing Potion but not the Cooking potion? You said the Juju gumbo was outclassed by Saradomin brew yet it heals more in one bite without a drop to offenses. Presumably you meant something on the lines of a dose of fishing potion meaning several Baron sharks compared to a a dose of the cooking potion which leads to one gumbo.

Fact is, is that there's not much reason to invest so much time in a piece of food that leaves behind a bowl. At least not in the areas where you need 320 LP worth of life. It'll take 1.5 hour to get ~60 Juju gumbo. For me, and I think for many others, that it's farming and healing best spent otherwise.

Otherwise, it's looking very good so far :thumbup:

Stats and logs

alex_lee8
[ Display Name History ]

alex_lee8

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 142 posts
Here's a little info from my experiences:

Zamorak jadinkos - @ 81 hunter, using 2 pieces of witchdoctor clothing, arctic bear and scentless potions I was catching between 15 and 20 every 9 minutes 45. Without a scentless potion I caught 12-18 in the same time frame.

You can also catch igneous and carrion jadinkos at the same time because (unless you log out) the jadinkos stay for around 20 minutes after you've changed the habitat. When hunting them both at the same time I catch (at 83 hunter) 70 igneous jadinkos and 30 carrion in 20 minutes.

Drop rate for seeds from god jadinkos seems to be roughly 1/5. Carrions drop herb seeds 1/10-ish. If i take 2 arctic bears and hunt carrions + igneous for just under an hour I usually have 1 or 2 samaden seeds, 3+ ugune and 3+ argway/shengo/erzille.

Hope some of this helped, great guide by the way!

Oh, and it is possible to get to all 7 herb patches in one juju farming potion dose. But it doesn't happen every time. Eg, if a patch or two dies then you'll be fine, but if you have a really good run and get 10+ herbs a patch, it will probably run out before you can run accross the vine to the 2nd herb patch. Because of this, I plant my samaden in the patch on the main island so I get extra herbs, and ugune in the patch over the vine because the seeds are easier to get, and the extra herbs aren't so crucial (because evena harvest of 5 ugune herbs gives you another 15 herb runs with juju potions!).

Peace
Posted Image

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
Indeed, I don't think it's possible to do all 5 herb patches and 2 vine herb patches on one dose of Juju farming when everything survives. I used spellbook swap for trollheim and then I used Lunars to get me around (for easy Catherby). Even considering my mistake tele'ing, I couldn't cross the vine fast enough.
To even consider getting all 7 herb patches in 5 minutes of dose, you'll need 96 magic, Ardougne diary elite, high speed connection. A little out of reach for most people.

Still, it's great to use on all 5 herb patches.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Keep sending in that data.

Stats and logs

alex_lee8
[ Display Name History ]

alex_lee8

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 142 posts
Just busted out 162k exp in an hour hunting igneous and carrion jadinkos :) thats with 83 hunter, 2 pieces of witchdoctor, arctic bear and zamorak's favour potions throughout.
Posted Image

Laikrob
[ Display Name History ]

Laikrob

That's Mistress Laikrob to you

• Members
  • 8,348 posts
  • RSN:Laila
  • Clan:TSG
Just a typo fix: Amphibian -> Amphibious

Otherwise great guide, used it to unlock the 10 and going to work on my mask now. :)

Edit: Maskified. :thumbsup:

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Championfurydelta123
[ Display Name History ]

Championfurydelta123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • RSN:Crybaby111
  • RSN2:Garyskiller
  • Clan:G.U.I.L.D.S
Amazing guide. Never really understood what this whole thing was about -.-

This makes me regret not doing all those weeks worth of penguins and tears of guthix since hunter is my lowest stat. just that 1 damn farming pot for herbs ;_;
Posted Image

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Just busted out 162k exp in an hour hunting igneous and carrion jadinkos :) thats with 83 hunter, 2 pieces of witchdoctor, arctic bear and zamorak's favour potions throughout.

Any seeds?

Stats and logs

Alistair
[ Display Name History ]

Alistair

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Ali T
I know that the foods aren't really worth it (all my Shengo is still unused), just saying it isn't clear what the reason is in the guide :P

In another 100 carrions, 2 erzille seeds, 1 shengo, 1 ugune, 1 argway, 1 samaden. I'm tending towards alex's estimate of 1/10 or maybe slightly higher. 1/15?

You have 2 part cs in section IV.

With regards to the herb run thing, I like to do Trollheim/Falador/Catherby/Phasmatys first, and then Ardougne+HH anyway, so two doses, just because I can fit in cleaning herbs and planting limpwurt more easily. Potions are pretty easy to obtain. Though if I'm running low, I can see alex's method being better. Planting herbs I really don't care about in the island patch, that is. Which amounts to pretty much everything but Samaden and Ugune. Maybe Shengo too because it's relatively rare albeit useless.

I'd also argue that it is worthwhile to use the Guthix potion when you save up all the herbs and seconds so you can make them all at once. Preferably after getting the bonus from the god jadinkos.

Maybe suggest a list of what's worth banking? I know I'm clueless in that department; just threw out about 30 items recently which I realised I never used or will use.

Just something to think about :P

How do you get Igneous with Carrion? Don't they require different bushes? Unless the data for one of them is inaccurate o.o

EDIT:
Did 15 minutes of Igneous Jadinkos (basically a vial of scentless potion), and got 39 of them, 3 Lergberry seeds, 2 Kalferberry seeds.
Posted Image

alex_lee8
[ Display Name History ]

alex_lee8

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 142 posts
Yeah I got a lot of seeds but didn't count them all and dropped all the shengo and argway so I don't have an accurate number to give you, sorry. I'm gonna do another run in a bit though and I'll keep track!

Alistair, the information is correct, they require totally different habitats! I usually make the igneous habitat, then destroy it straight away and plant the carrion one. Then go and hunt them both, and the igneous will stay for about 20 minutes - after that time just run back and plant the igneous stuff again, and you have them both for 20 more minutes. When thats up, repeat and draw the carrions back. This way, at the end of the 20 minutes if you still have some zamorak's favour left (i almost always have one or two more doses because of not realising when its run out) then you can hunt carrions on their own and boost the amount of herb seeds you get in the last 5-10 minutes.

I think I'm going to start using 2 doses for herb runs so that I can do limpwurts and get both island patches too, good idea :)

EDIT to avoid double post:

Just finished up another hour of hunting carrion and igneous, totalled 167k exp (levelled to 85 hunter about 3/4 the way in which could account for the slightly higher rate than yesterday).

This time i kept all my seeds and in 203 Igneous jadinkos I got 6 lergberry seeds and 1 kalfberry seeds. Much lower than I thought! That gives a rate of about 1/29 for bush seeds off igneous.

In 121 Carrion jadinkos I obtained:
6 erzille +
3 argway +
3 ugune =
12 seeds. Almost exactly 1/10 for herb seeds from carrion jadinkos!

I was surprised to not get any samaden or shengo.

I won't comment on seeds per hour because I was hunting the two different types - if you hunted solely for carrions then I imagine you could atleast double, almost triple this number of herb seeds in an hour.

Peace
Posted Image

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
That does sound a tad bit seed-intensive. I don't think a starting HH'er has Lergberry/Kalferberry bush seeds he can afford to toss around every odd 20 minutes.

Personal data collected:
43 Common jadinko: 3 Herb seeds (1 Samaden, 1 Erzille, 1 Shengo) [1/15]
72 Draconic jadinko: 4 herb seeds (1 Argway, 1 Ugune, 1 Shengo, 1 Erzille) [1/18]

XP rates (with full witchdoctor, scentless potion, zamorak favour, 80-82 hunter):
Draconic only: 86.7k xp/hr [68.5k xp/hr without potion boosts]
Draconic + common jadinko: 121k xp/hr [96k xp/hr without potion boosts]

And people still claim butterflies are better? :shades:
Oh yeah, I have to pot to do my own guide.

Quick questions:
Someone with high-level hunter please test Draconic jadinko's

I'll move on to mono-common and mono-carrion if I find time.

Stats and logs

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
And so it is done.

And lol @ people claiming this minigame is inefficient now. Unless you're consistently making 4.5M gp/hr, you can't do outdo Torstols with Scroll of life and Juju farming potion. In your face, Stormveritas!

Though I do feel the herbs from god Jadinko are completely out of whack (of a body of 54 caught; it's accurate), I'd appreciate if some of you folks would help me retrieve some proper statistics. Certainly now that I can't as I'm F2P.

Stats and logs

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
Nice update. I'm surprised your draconic xp rates are so low though. People with 90+ hunt claim they are 180k+ xp/h.

I personally did a 10 min test, and came at 33k in that time (with zamorak hunter pots). However, I then did another 20 min test (was a bit less concentrated though) and only came at 102k xp/h. I also use hunter pots while hunting btw (every lvl helps).

EDIT: So I did another test. It seems the catch rate is VERY variable.

I did the test with
82 hunter
Arctic Bear
Hunter pots (repot when you hit base lvl))
Zamorak favour pots
Southwestern draconic spot

I did 3 consecutive 10 min runs (well, one juju hunter pot worth)
During this half hour, I caught 130 draconic and 17 normal, or 81.62k xp (thats with Zam favour accounted). This equates to 163.2k xp/h.
I noticed a lot of variance in amount of draconics per 10 min though. First 10 minutes 41, the second 10 minutes 34 and the last 10 minutes 55.
(random fact: NO herb seeds at all during this test)

In any case, it seems that you should get well over 130k xp an hour with them.

Alex, how come you are getting more Igneous, while unknown is catching more carrion, when he's doing the igneous + carrion method? Also, when trying your method, I had trouble getting a Carrion Jad in the small square where you hunt. I was mostly just catching Igneous.

Unknown, how come you are catching 260 common jadinkos per hour when doing common + draconic, while only catching 210 an hour when just doing common? Sounds weird to me.

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Nice update. I'm surprised your draconic xp rates are so low though. People with 90+ hunt claim they are 180k+ xp/h.

I personally did a 10 min test, and came at 33k in that time (with zamorak hunter pots). However, I then did another 20 min test (was a bit less concentrated though) and only came at 102k xp/h. I also use hunter pots while hunting btw (every lvl helps).

EDIT: So I did another test. It seems the catch rate is VERY variable.

I did the test with
82 hunter
Arctic Bear
Hunter pots (repot when you hit base lvl))
Zamorak favour pots
Southwestern draconic spot

I did 3 consecutive 10 min runs (well, one juju hunter pot worth)
During this half hour, I caught 130 draconic and 17 normal, or 81.62k xp (thats with Zam favour accounted). This equates to 163.2k xp/h.
I noticed a lot of variance in amount of draconics per 10 min though. First 10 minutes 41, the second 10 minutes 34 and the last 10 minutes 55.
(random fact: NO herb seeds at all during this test)

In any case, it seems that you should get well over 130k xp an hour with them.

Alex, how come you are getting more Igneous, while unknown is catching more carrion, when he's doing the igneous + carrion method? Also, when trying your method, I had trouble getting a Carrion Jad in the small square where you hunt. I was mostly just catching Igneous.

Unknown, how come you are catching 260 common jadinkos per hour when doing common + draconic, while only catching 210 an hour when just doing common? Sounds weird to me.

The problem is, is that I couldn't spend longer than 10 minutes there for testing purposes as it was my final day of membership and had a lot left to do.

a) What is this southwestern draconic spot?
b) I needed to test the common Jadinko catch rate on the Draconic-common spot.
c) The Igneous jadinko escaped out of the trapped area and never came back in halfway through. If they're out of the little area, it's nigh impossible getting them back in.

I can't personally retrieve data as I'd like to focus myself on school for the coming 2 months (college exams and whatnot) and won't be returning to RS membership in the meantime.

Stats and logs

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
All right, I'll be happy to post more data then.

Did another 10 min at draconics
the spot is the one in this vid:

This time I somehow caught a lot of common ones:
32 draconic, 21 common => 26.5k in 10 min => 159k/h

(again at 82 hunt)

I think the average at my lvl will indeed be around 160k xp an hour. I'm personally gonna do these, and not igneous + carrion.

Might try to get some scentless pots later on, see if it gets much better

EDIT: another 40 min test:

155 draconic
62 common
=> comes down to 170k xp/h
got 83 hunt halfway through

Seeds gotten:
4 ugune
2 shengo
3 sammaden
1 erzile
1 argway