Can this be fixed?

SeekUp

Hello, My computer is only 4 months old, and up until about 3 weeks ago rs played fine. Now I see my resources and cpu [bleep]e to 90=100% my entire computer lags. Just last fridayI reformatted my computer to its original state (took out tons of music) I have updated java, and I use the rs client normally (have also tried on firefox and IE) here is a screenie of of my specs and task manager. I've also inserted a 1g memory stick (to no help)

ScreenShot001.png

RSHD will always be heavy on the CPU because of the way java works.

The only thing I can wrong with that is the extraordinarily high number of processes. Just what else do you have running?

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

RSHD will always be heavy on the CPU because of the way java works.

The only thing I can wrong with that is the extraordinarily high number of processes. Just what else do you have running?

It happens both in HD or standard.

Msn, teamspeak,and Mirc

I have also shut Msn off to no avail. The thing is, it has always worked fine in the past, I used to run Itunes or Media player, skype and many other things, and be somewhere like monkeys chinning (Lots of rs activity) with no lag whatsoever. I also after this problem upgraded my ISP to a 10mbps connection from a 910kbps connection.

Your CPU and memory usage looks fine there. 76 processes is pretty average for Vista, so it should come as no surprise. You could always disable Aero, the glassy look in Vista. Freed up like 8% of my memory. Also worth noting that it went down even farther when I switched from GUI to Performance modes. But then again, you have 3GB. :? Dunno why it would have been less laggy before, did you download anything new? As said earlier, RSHD will always take up a lot of resources, just because of Java.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

76 processes is pretty average for Vista,

Haha, I'm running Vista ultimate with aero and all only running 49 processes \' 76 is pretty average though, I just like tweaking my OS and stripping it down as much as I can keeping the eyecandy.

Haha, I'm running Vista ultimate with aero and all only running 49 processes \' 76 is pretty average though, I just like tweaking my OS and stripping it down as much as I can keeping the eyecandy.

Wow, I have like 80, and I don't have many running apps other than AVG, which takes up 3. :( Makes me miss XP.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Wow, I have like 80, and I don't have many running apps other than AVG, which takes up 3. :( Makes me miss XP.

Haha, checked today on my laptop, which I didn't really tweak, just a bit of msconfig, and it was running 77 processes (while having vmware running though, which adds like 8 processes) but my friend was running 88 processes on his Vista laptop, so you're not the worst I've seen.

On topic:

It seems to me that it's an update that Jagex did that made you start to lag, that kind of lag problems has been going on for over a year to multiple users, including myself a while back, and yes, I have a dual core CPU. You can only hope that problem gets resolve next update, took me like 3 month before I could play lagfree again, and the only thing that had changed is that Jagex had done an update.

disable ALL startup programs

All of them would make his computer unbootable in Windows. Even then, items like Java, antivirus, and CPU shouldn't be touched. I wouldn't even recommend touching startup or msconfig for his problem.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

All of them would make his computer unbootable in Windows. Even then, items like Java, antivirus, and CPU shouldn't be touched. I wouldn't even recommend touching startup or msconfig for his problem.

nope, windows automatically turns on the crucial-to-windows startup programs, even when turned off, like explorer[Caution: Executable File], etc

As for Vista, it does not have msconfig utility, just an app through the control panel

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

nope, windows automatically turns on the crucial-to-windows startup programs, even when turned off, like explorer[Caution: Executable File], etc

As for Vista, it does not have msconfig utility, just an app through the control panel

Vista has msconfig.

And even if it did boot there would be no point, as it's just the backbone, so you say. That would make it even worse.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Vista has msconfig.

And even if it did boot there would be no point, as it's just the backbone, so you say. That would make it even worse.

Having Aim, msn browser and all the others not starting at start-up would make it worse? How so?

Vista has msconfig.

Having Aim, msn browser and all the others not starting at start-up would make it worse? How so?

Because his problem wasn't for start ups. He seems like he wants MSN anyways. Closing startup problems doesn't fix the problem, it's just like a patch. Sure the startup would be faster, but it would be negligible or even more when he tries to restore those processes. So if he's playing Runescape, and wants to talk to friends, he's obviously going to have MSN and Java on for startup. I don't see AIM, and I doubt his browser is starting up on startup. The amount of lag would be negligible for the rest, such as Quicktime, etc, that takes up little room.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

No, actually deleting your startups would be a permanent solution.

If you absolutely needed to have a program running at all times such as msn, sure, don't turn it off from startup. But otherwise it'll save a huge amount of memory, fixing the problem forever.

No, actually deleting your startups would be a permanent solution.

If you absolutely needed to have a program running at all times such as msn, sure, don't turn it off from startup. But otherwise it'll save a huge amount of memory, fixing the problem forever.

It's not going fix his lag problem, as they don't take up that much memory. What do you expect his startup to look like?

Mine has:

Windows Defender

Synaptics Pointing Device

HP Wireless

Java

Intel

Intel

Intel

Intel

AVG

MobileMe

QuickTime

iTunes

Google Update

Microsoft Windows

Microsoft Windows

Yeah, none of those take up that much memory, that I would consider disabling, such as QuickTime. It's not a permanent solution, because you'll end up restarting those processes laster, when you're already using the CPU and RAM, making it even slower.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

People in general use programs, then exit them. They don't need them constantly running. Thats the reason why startup programs are mostly useless, with exception to people who need antivirus shields or instant messager.

Laura, its a solution, not a panacea. The only way it wouldn't be permanent is if you then went out of your way and re-enabled all of those programs at start up.

Don't tell me it is nominal because I work at a computer shop and unneeded memory usage is one of the most basic and common problems I deal with - It is not nominal and it does help, especially in the case of the OP, having waaay to many processes.

People in general use programs, then exit them. They don't need them constantly running. Thats the reason why startup programs are mostly useless, with exception to people who need antivirus shields or instant messager.

Laura, its a solution, not a panacea. The only way it wouldn't be permanent is if you then went out of your way and re-enabled all of those programs at start up.

Don't tell me it is nominal because I work at a computer shop and unneeded memory usage is one of the most basic and common problems I deal with - It is not nominal and it does help, especially in the case of the OP, having waaay to many processes.

But that's the thing, it's not that many, especially for Vista. I run that with 1GB RAM and worse processor. More than likely it's a negligible amount that could pose future problems later on. And by permanent, I don't mean that is't not going to stay off the startup, I'm saying that he's going to be starting up those processes later, and if not, he might as well uninstall them rather than just configuring with startup. On top of that, his memory and CPU usage are fine in the task manager, so changing the startup shouldn't aid with lag.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm female :(

I use msn, mirc and ts at all times

well...u can open them after windows successfully boot up....that's just a more efficient way to use the computer.

just disable any process that don't have "microsoft windows" included in their name. well...except for anti virus and firewall...

you can always turn those process on when u need them, no need 2 kill ur computer at start up.

disable ALL automatic updates process on start up, those things are completely useless(like real player one, and quicktime), and whatever ones that's from the manufacture, in this case TOSHIBA.( I'm using HP and some stuff like HP update, HP wireless guide, those kind of stuff only eats ur speed for nothing, you can still connect wirelessly without the program running) they will update anyways if you open the program someday.

My start up is clean and fast:

All microsoft core items

AVG

Zonealarm

MSN

speedfan

Tea timer(spybot search&destroy)

windows sidebar

Thats it:) it shouldn't take very long to boot up 6 extra items, and u have everything going nicely. My computer have about 78process running normally, max i reached was 95, cuz i was running like 3 setups at once.

Idk why java is taking up so much CPU... but sometimes i do have a downloading client like Thunder 5 or bitcomet, or flashget that eats up to 50% of the CPU all by it's own. and it's solved after a reboot...(random...and idk why that happens..)

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will