The IB Diploma

Boris5000

I took IB English, higher level (it's my second language, but it was offered to me regardless).

Although I found it fun, it was easy and (at least in my country) of little additional value as far as universities are concerned. I did learn quite a bit about literature and whatnot, but some of the people (who also passed, be it with a lower grade) still are cabbage, so I wouldn't attach too much value to it myself either.

For reference, IB English higher level wouldn't even be considered enough to be accepted for a higher level English study at my university (I needed my secondary school diploma for that).

IB English A1 or IB English A2? A1 is around the same level as A level English. Which is generally accepted in universities.

Luck be a Lady

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide]

I took IB English, higher level (it's my second language, but it was offered to me regardless).

Although I found it fun, it was easy and (at least in my country) of little additional value as far as universities are concerned. I did learn quite a bit about literature and whatnot, but some of the people (who also passed, be it with a lower grade) still are cabbage, so I wouldn't attach too much value to it myself either.

For reference, IB English higher level wouldn't even be considered enough to be accepted for a higher level English study at my university (I needed my secondary school diploma for that).

[/hide]

IB English A1 or IB English A2? A1 is around the same level as A level English. Which is generally accepted in universities.

I did A1.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

It's really not that hard if you put time and effort into it.

Doing it this year. It's pretty tough, but it's managable (as a freshman in high school). I have 2-4 hours of homework most nights, sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends on your schedule really though.

What grade are you going to be in for it?

IB is junior/senior year...

What's funny is I actually AM in it now. Geez I look silly now, haha.

Various schools have pre programs that go back several years before the actual thing starts, and being fairly confused at the time on how it all worked, I thought I was in IB! Oh how wrong. I know a couple schools around the US here that has the pre-IB program starting in 6th grade or earlier. I don't know what you could teach students for that long before the actual IB material.

Anyway IB isn't very difficult (counting for Junior year) except for the "crunch" times when you have a metric unit of crapton to do, with the extended essay being the worst for me. I dislike it, same with TOK. Dunno how it's done in other schools, but our TOK class is pretty pointless. I'm not a fan.

There's Psychology HL? wth...

Anyways, being the lazy bum that I am, and the fact that IB is near useless to me because I plan on going to a University 10 minutes away from me (a pretty good Uni too), I just did Math SL. Had the test last week and it was ALOT of questions for 90 minutes. My friend drew a happy face for the graph :lol:

Are you using IB diploma to apply to Uni overseas/away from home? In that case it definately would be worth it. But to me and some of my friends, we had an apathetic attitude, because in the end our IB marks didn't matter. Calculus was hard though <_<

Yes there is Psychology HL and it is as easy as Psychology SL :P Although I failed a bit on paper 2.

Maths SL was interesting for me, I did it on the 4th/5th and on paper 1, I was either in blissful ignorance or genuinely found the paper to be easy. Paper 2 was a [bleep] though. (Just looked at your Birthday? You had maths on your birthday?! Unlucky.

I am going to a uni that is about 1.5 hrs drive from where I currently live, it's a case of "could have, would have, should have". But I decided to apply to local(ish) uni's.

On a plus side, I could have gotten into Univeristy of NSW with just my predicted grades. And started at the beginning of 2011 (cause I have an aussie passport).

haha no my birthday was in march. I did finish both the papers, I can't really remember what was on them though. I just remember section B was a bit tougher than section A.

Also ^ Derek, our school officially has 2 years of IB, but in grade 10 all IB students were to take pre-IB to squeeze in extra material to make room for the extra IB stuff in later grades, because we had to do our provincial curriculum in addition to IB. I dropped all but Math IB after grade 11, I really didn't like it much :P

Staurolite.png

I live in the U.S. and my school offers it, but I won't be doing it. People who do it have 6+ hours of homework per night, and (in the U.S.) most colleges don't consider it higher then taking a lot of AP classes.

I'm not so sure about that. In Florida, at least, if you do the IB program in high school and pass the test at the end, you are GUARANTEED admission into any, non-private state university.

Nah, the IB program is considered identical to taking a similar number of AP courses for college admission and credit purposes. The main difference is that the IB diploma curriculum is standardized around a set number of courses, while students take individual AP classes, so it's possible to tailor the difficulty of an AP courseload to a much greater extent. A load of 20 AP classes over 4 years in high school would be far more difficult then the IB program, while taking 2 would be easier for instance.