Spotify - A New Digital Music Service

Azvareth

I was recently invited to the beta of Spotify. It's a Swedish product that's basically a mix between services like iTunes and sites like Last.fm.

You first register an account on the website, and once that's done you download the software itself (which is a measly 1.5mb in size). It is really easy to get into. Just like in last.fm, you search for artists and bands you like/are interested in (you can search by genre too), and (in most cases) an impressively wide music library appears, you can then sort the tracks by popularity etc. What's special about Spotify is that you can listen to the entire songs, even entire albums, track by track. So no 30 second samples or anything like that.

Granted, if you're only into obscure bands not many people know about you might find yourself disappointed by the lack of available tracks by these artists at this stage. So far I've been really impressed with the library though, they have had songs by several artists I know have a very small fanbase. And it's only in beta phase so far.

- One feature, "what's new?", is frequently updated with newly released albums by artists. I just listened to GlasVegas newest album in its entirety. :)

- Like in last.fm, there's also radios. Just select what genres you want to listen to, and then specify further by selecting your preferred decade.

- You can create your own playlists.

- You can purchase and download tracks "from selected retailers" (usually iTunes).

Best of all is that it's legal. You will be able to create a free account on there later on (now it's invite-only), a natural downside of this though is that you get these 20-something second sound-advertisements in between songs (yes, the guys at Spotify actually had the brains and decency enough to not put these ads during songs!). These ads seem to appear after every 4th song or so. So far it's only been artists talking about Spotify and how great it is, and a few ads from local radio stations. So you won't get ads for cat food or anything like that in the future, which I think is great. They are surprisingly enough not particularly annoying at all, since they're about music. If you do not want ads, you can buy either a "day pass" or a "premium pass".

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you and hear your thoughts on this. I think it's quite exciting and it'll be interesting to see how big this thing gets. I love the fact that you can access it from wherever you are, as long as you have internet access: just download the installer, log-on to your account and BAM! you have instant access to unlimited music.

Check out the video on the site to learn more.

2009rb9.jpg

I just signed up...hopefully I'll get an invite. From what I see so far it looks pretty amazing. Although I've seen crossover mixes like this, gotten excited, and then realized they were way overhyped. So I'll have to see, but looks good atm :P

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

I just signed up...hopefully I'll get an invite. From what I see so far it looks pretty amazing. Although I've seen crossover mixes like this, gotten excited, and then realized they were way overhyped. So I'll have to see, but looks good atm :P

I wasn't very excited about it in the beginning. I read a bit about it on idg.se a few months ago, but I still had no idea what it was about until today when I got the invitation. I don't even remember that I signed up for it. It really is great though, and I would be very surprised if this doesn't get huge, since it's a lot last.fm, except without the [cabbage]ty community, 30 sec previews and slowness of said website. :) I just hope they keep up expanding on the library a lot.

2009rb9.jpg

I added my email to the waiting list, but Is it supported on macs?

Yes. My dad was invited to the beta a few months ago, he has some connection to the guy who developed this... (and he uses a mac)

Interesting program nonetheless. There's lots of music you'd not find anywhere else on the internet. And the search function is incredibly fast.

Uula.png