Is my 350W PSU good enough for 8800GT?

im1knight

Well...my computer is HP prebuild, m9150f. The 8500GT they included in there just killed it...... GTA IV just came out, but i found i'm only able to play it in about 7-10 frame rates....

Some people say it's the game's problem, the 8500 should at least give you 15 to 20. However that's not my case. Idk what's wrong here, i run the benchmark test on GTA IV. My CPU usage was only 39% when people say CPU usage goes up to 100% during play. my memory used are the exact same thing with other people.... So..hmm....no idea.. but for an action game, 7-10 frame rate is like impossible to play.

So, if it's really the graphic card's problem, i want to know if i can upgrade it WITHOUT upgrading my PSU. That would be just a big pain, and it's gonna cost a lot more.

Well...my computer specs are follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz

3GB Ram ( 2x1GB, 2x512MB)

Nvidia 8500GT ( getting rid of of course...)

720GB hard drive( 2x360GB) @7200rpm

1 DVD burner + 1 HD DVD ROM

PSU is 350Watts.

so if i upgrade the 8500 to a 8800, first of all, does it help a lot on performance? and second, can my PSU handle it without crashing or burning it out or anything?

people say that a good PSU that's 350W might handle it, well according to the label, mine is from HIPRO. Not sure if that's a good quality one... and the model is HP-D3537F3R

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

No, pre-made pc's usually just have a psu that will work with the things that are put in.

Maybe if it would be a FSP 350w it could work, but it isn't.

And no idea in getting a 8800GT new, buy a used one or buy 9800GT or HD 4830.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

See how much power the 8800GT uses and add that to how much your CPU, HDD uses etc. If its <350W then its fine. I run a HD3870 off a 390W PSU so GL.

ps. your PSU may not be 100% 350W, see how many amps are on the +12V rail and times then together (VxA= P) to see how many Watts there are.

eggzs.png