New Genres/Styles Experiments. 2+ Stories now!

andufusthebronze

[hide=Into The Rain. New Style, new genre to be revealed.]First off I should explain/say three things.

1) I'm trying a complete new style here. I've never even thought about doing writing in this style. But I was reading a book called 'The Year of Secret Assignments' (not the most manly book in the world but I don't care, it was reccomended to me) and it was written completely through letters and emails and in one case, a manuscript. The book in its own right was bloody fantastic, but the style of the literature was what grabbed me. It was interesting, I hadn't seen it used before. I decided to try it out for myself, and this was the result. I stole the name of the character from the book, Cassie. Even though it's not the same Cassie; but I love the name, so I thought if I'd include it in this new style. Go figure.

2) I probably won't continue with this, because I really want to try and stretch my writing styles over 2009. I want to write more poems and different genres and styles. Like I want to try my hand at a songfic. Can anyone recommend any other styles? Like Haiku's, or Romance or something. I just want to try each in short hand and stuff. But I did really enjoy writing this piece.

3) The actual document of this was done in Word, and I added quite a few special effects to it. I made a few bits italic to emphasize them (daring I know) but most importantly, the 'Dear Diary' bit, I changed to a different font that looked like handwriting. Because Jaclyn Moriarty did it and it made it a tad more interesting. If you REALLY want to re-create it, the font I used was Jivetalk (in italics)

INTO THE RAIN

Dear Diary,

I still remember the day Cassie disappeared. She just left, even really saying goodbye. Whether she was thinking or not that day is beyond me, but even if she knew what she was doing, I certainly didnt. Her last words seem to have etched themselves into my heart. I do love you, you know. All I wanted to do was kiss her right there and then. I wouldve chased after her. But there was nothing I couldve said that would have stopped her at that moment. She walked out from underneath the small shelter my old umbrella was providing for her, out into the rain. I called after her, but she just looked back and winked at me with that beautiful smile of hers on her face, before she broke into a sprint.

Its funny; she gave me this diary actually. I remember that Christmas day, too.

Im not the kind of person to write in diaries. I laughed,, placing the leather-bound diary on the floor. It wasnt dated or anything, but it had DIARY written across the front in golden font. It was very Cassie.

I know, but you will be. One day, I bet you will be.

At the time, I thought nothing of it and we carried on unwrapping the presents. I tell you this, because, well I dont know why; I guess for some reason I can trust you. You wont judge me. You cant judge me. Because you dont have a brain.

Anyway, theres a reason Im thinking of the night Cassie walked out of my life with no explanation. The weather tonight is spookily similar to that day. The sky isnt black, instead its a dark blue. Plus, the rain isnt little droplets, its thin streams forming lines. Out of the window next to me I can see a bit of fog shrouding round a street lamp, seemingly penetrated by the rain.

I really miss her. But then, I still dont feel like Im the type of person who would write in a diary. Not continuously, anyway. Because, well, what Im writing at the moment, their just words arent they? They dont mean anything to you. Nothing does. Their just words!

Words, Words, Words!

Why dont you write them yourself?

2. The Hospital. CHAPTER NOT FINISHED

Dreams and realities

Cassie! The only word that I can remember. I live the scene over and over in my dreams, when I do dream, instead of when the darkness consumes me. However, waking up is just something that hasnt happened with me since I dont remember when. Really, I dont remember anything at all. Well, thats a lie. This one night, this one guy, calling out this one word, only around five minutes, and then its all fuzzy again. Like a foggy midnight, were the moon comes into plain sight for a while, but you know it wont last.

Cassie! I dont know what the word means, or why he was calling it. I dont even know if he was saying it to me. I think he was, or maybe I just wanted him to be calling me, so in my mind, he was. They say the mind is a powerful tool, people can think what they want to if they really try. The mind does what it thinks will make you happy, the saying goes. But if the man calling this word, whatever it means, wasnt calling after me; I dont get how that would make this any worse.[/hide]

[hide=Non RuneScape Fan-Fiction]

Sorry for the double post but whatever :P

I have two things to say. 1) I really liked the Into The Rain story and got really good feedback so I'm going to continue and develop it but I'm not sure if I'll post all of it but just excerpts, but Cassie's part will be a horror. :) 2) I know I said I'd do a horror next, but I lied. My english homework for over the holidays was to read this play for my GCSE's. "Educating Rita" By Willy Russel. I was expecting some boring old literature piece that would bore me to death and be a chore to read. Actually, I loved it. It was great. It had elements of style, humour and realistic characters. I really connected with it. I liked it so much in fact, that I tried to do something I hadn't done before. Well, I'd done it for RuneScape, but nothing else.

Introducing... Andufus's first non-runescape fan fiction. It's Denny's point of view of Rita's changes to herself. You never actually meet Denny (Rita's husband) but you hear a lot about him and how he objects to her education changing her. You probably won't get it if you haven't read the play but the gist is this. He burns all of her educating literature that she has to try and get her to come back to the girl he fell in love with. It was his last ditch attempt.

EDUCATING RITA

Dennys Point of View

I cant get her out of my head, can I? The rage is almost blinding. I dont get what shes after though. A better life? Why cant she just settle down? If she would just stop for even a moment, she might realize just how lucky she is to have even what little we do have. I mean, we have the apartment, and we have, well, we have us. At least, I thought we had us. We used to go out and all didnt we? But then she goes and takes it all away from herself, from me. Susan isnt the same girl I fell in love with, or the same girl I married. Even she knows that. Were out of sync now, me and Susan. Or Rita and I as she would put it. She was in a right state when she found out what I did.

It was the only viable option for a normal life again. Change isnt good, it never is. Why cant Rita see that? I just dont understand. This new Rita, I dont like her. Shes hiding my Susan from me. If people found out that I think of Susan in this way, theyll think of me of me as less of a man, one that needs a woman to complete them. Its weak, but I loved her. When I did it, it felt right. When I stared right into the heart of the fire, the blazing paper and burning ink of some foreign love of hers, I saw the real her. Susan was in the fire, looking back at me. Or maybe that was just my imagination, I dont know.

The only thing I can link to this new Susan, this Rita, is her dreams. But what chances does she have of them coming true? I had to burn those books. She cant see it right now, but Im protecting her. From herself, and the fall shes letting herself in for. Im the hero she doesnt deserve, and yet she makes it out that Im the bad guy, and this Frank is the hero of the tale. I dont even know if this Frank is real. But I know that Susan was real, and that the warmth of the fire of the burning literature as Rita calls it, was real. Thats something to start on. To add on it I know things that should be real, and yet for some strange reason in Ritas head that I just cant see, arent. Shes twenty-six. Not fourteen. Shes still on the pill; I caught her. She told me that she wasnt. She lied to me. We should be having a baby that can carry on the family line and be settling down in the home. She should listen to me. Im the man of the house. She is the woman, and Rita needs to accept that.

Yet, for some reason, I miss her. Its like I need her. When she comes back, shell know that Im only protecting her. If she doesnt, then Ill educate her. My way. Not in the way this ruddy Frank is, but in my own style.[/hide]

_______

Hope you liked it. Rate/Hate/Constructive Critism would be great, and if you could suggest new styles or genres, that'd be amazing!

Thanks!!

Andu <3:

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

I always enjoy reading non-traditional stories. You should try a chatroom-style one, like that one author whose name I can't remember. :roll: Haikus would be good, if you could figure out how to tell a story using multiple haikus.

I really admire your enthusiam/adventurous-ness/ determination. It should be alot of fun, trying out styles, find which ones you enjoy, which ones you're best at.

2. Well firstly there's two separate things - genre, and style. As far as I see it (I might be wrong, not sure about this) genre is the content - the themes and topics which are explored throughout the story, and style is the way in which it's written. So for genres, you could try romance, sci-fi, nonfiction (like newspaper articles, letters etc), war stories, mysteries, suspense, and of course horror. Of these the most interesting is probably horror... maybe because it combines elements of all other genres?

About style I'd really, really recommend the book(s) The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland. They're amazing, it's like a diary but more like a normal story. I can't put my finger on it but something about how it's written makes it incredibly real... Sorry I'm not describing it particularly well!

You could try and read different authors' works, and then write your own story mimicking their style?

Anyway... I really like the story, I like how it's sad but not wishy-washy and over the top. It kind of has some humour in it as well and that and the plot make it interesting.

Just this sentence -

"She walked out from underneath the small shelter my old umbrella was providing for her, into the night"

I was thinking, if Cassie's walking away from the shelter the author's providing, that could be kind of symbolic for their relationship in some way? In the same way she's walking out from under his umbrella she could be walking out on the 'protection' he's providing? Also if the story's actually called 'into the rain' it makes sense that that phrase should be used somewhere in the story, maybe more than once. So it could be 'into the rain' instead of 'into the night'? I dunno.

I always enjoy reading non-traditional stories. You should try a chatroom-style one, like that one author whose name I can't remember. :roll: Haikus would be good, if you could figure out how to tell a story using multiple haikus.

Yeah. That'd be... fun. :P I'll give it a shot at some point though, I will!

Might turn this thread into my EXPERIMENTAL LAB. That sounds so much cooler than it actually is. :lol:

I really admire your enthusiam/adventurous-ness/ determination. It should be alot of fun, trying out styles, find which ones you enjoy, which ones you're best at.

2. Well firstly there's two separate things - genre, and style. As far as I see it (I might be wrong, not sure about this) genre is the content - the themes and topics which are explored throughout the story, and style is the way in which it's written. So for genres, you could try romance, sci-fi, nonfiction (like newspaper articles, letters etc), war stories, mysteries, suspense, and of course horror. Of these the most interesting is probably horror... maybe because it combines elements of all other genres?

About style I'd really, really recommend the book(s) The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland. They're amazing, it's like a diary but more like a normal story. I can't put my finger on it but something about how it's written makes it incredibly real... Sorry I'm not describing it particularly well!

You could try and read different authors' works, and then write your own story mimicking their style?

Anyway... I really like the story, I like how it's sad but not wishy-washy and over the top. It kind of has some humour in it as well and that and the plot make it interesting.

Just this sentence -

"She walked out from underneath the small shelter my old umbrella was providing for her, into the night"

I was thinking, if Cassie's walking away from the shelter the author's providing, that could be kind of symbolic for their relationship in some way? In the same way she's walking out from under his umbrella she could be walking out on the 'protection' he's providing? Also if the story's actually called 'into the rain' it makes sense that that phrase should be used somewhere in the story, maybe more than once. So it could be 'into the rain' instead of 'into the night'? I dunno.

I made the change you suggested because you are right, it does make sense. :)

Hmm. I see your point about Genre/Style. But I need to try out new things of both of them really. Horror, eh? I did a really crap thing for that in year 8 and my teacher loved it for some reason. It wasn't exactly scary. I had this ghost hanging from a tree and another one telling this old couple to get out and blah blah in the end the wife found the husband hanging from the tree instead of the second ghost, she turns around and the second ghost is behind her, the end.

I might try out horror next... ::'

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

Sorry for the double post but whatever :P

I have two things to say. 1) I really liked the Into The Rain story and got really good feedback so I'm going to continue and develop it but I'm not sure if I'll post all of it but just excerpts, but Cassie's part will be a horror. :) 2) I know I said I'd do a horror next, but I lied. My english homework for over the holidays was to read this play for my GCSE's. "Educating Rita" By Willy Russel. I was expecting some boring old literature piece that would bore me to death and be a chore to read. Actually, I loved it. It was great. It had elements of style, humour and realistic characters. I really connected with it. I liked it so much in fact, that I tried to do something I hadn't done before. Well, I'd done it for RuneScape, but nothing else.

Introducing... Andufus's first non-runescape fan fiction. It's Denny's point of view of Rita's changes to herself. You never actually meet Denny (Rita's husband) but you hear a lot about him and how he objects to her education changing her. You probably won't get it if you haven't read the play but the gist is this. He burns all of her educating literature that she has to try and get her to come back to the girl he fell in love with. It was his last ditch attempt.

[hide=Fan-Fic of Educating Rita.]Educating Rita

Dennys Point of View

I cant get her out of my head, can I? The rage is almost blinding. I dont get what shes after though. A better life? Why cant she just settle down? If she would just stop for even a moment, she might realize just how lucky she is to have even what little we do have. I mean, we have the apartment, and we have, well, we have us. At least, I thought we had us. We used to go out and all didnt we? But then she goes and takes it all away from herself, from me. Susan isnt the same girl I fell in love with, or the same girl I married. Even she knows that. Were out of sync now, me and Susan. Or Rita and I as she would put it. She was in a right state when she found out what I did.

It was the only viable option for a normal life again. Change isnt good, it never is. Why cant Rita see that? I just dont understand. This new Rita, I dont like her. Shes hiding my Susan from me. If people found out that I think of Susan in this way, theyll think of me of me as less of a man, one that needs a woman to complete them. Its weak, but I loved her. When I did it, it felt right. When I stared right into the heart of the fire, the blazing paper and burning ink of some foreign love of hers, I saw the real her. Susan was in the fire, looking back at me. Or maybe that was just my imagination, I dont know.

The only thing I can link to this new Susan, this Rita, is her dreams. But what chances does she have of them coming true? I had to burn those books. She cant see it right now, but Im protecting her. From herself, and the fall shes letting herself in for. Im the hero she doesnt deserve, and yet she makes it out that Im the bad guy, and this Frank is the hero of the tale. I dont even know if this Frank is real. But I know that Susan was real, and that the warmth of the fire of the burning literature as Rita calls it, was real. Thats something to start on. To add on it I know things that should be real, and yet for some strange reason in Ritas head that I just cant see, arent. Shes twenty-six. Not fourteen. Shes still on the pill; I caught her. She told me that she wasnt. She lied to me. We should be having a baby that can carry on the family line and be settling down in the home. She should listen to me. Im the man of the house. She is the woman, and Rita needs to accept that.

Yet, for some reason, I miss her. Its like I need her. When she comes back, shell know that Im only protecting her. If she doesnt, then Ill educate her. My way. Not in the way this ruddy Frank is, but in my own style.[/hide]

Andus-Sig-1.jpg