What monsters to range?

Intriguing

Hey H&A. Within the next month or so, I'm planning on going from 83-90 Range. In order to recover from losing all my items bar about 1m worth a while back, all my training of late has been based around making money while getting reasonable experience, e.g. Monkfish for Fishing, Herbs for Farming, Pyramid Plunder for Thieving. I will be starting Ranging after I have 95 Fishing and Cooking, and I should have around 17m to work with, if that is relevant.

My question is, what is a good monster to train ranged on that will get me reasonable experience, but also give me a decent amount of money? As of yet, all I've thought of is Blue Dragons at the Ogre Enclave during peak periods, then Taverly Dungeon during low periods (I've heard Taverly gets crowded). Is this a good way to go about it, or are there better ways? Could ranging Black Dragons in the Evil Chicken Lair be worthwhile?

Any help would be appreciated, including a good weapon/armour setup.

NOTE: I don't have Void Ranging gear and I'm undecided as to whether or not it's worth the effort considering I hate Pest Control. I also don't intend on training Slayer with Ranged.

Cool.

Matt the cup

matt_the_cup.png

Barrows: Dharoks Greataxe, verac's Flail, Bolt Racks, Dragon Med

KBD: 1 X Draconic Vissage (50-50) (18/5/09), 2 X KBD heads(26/5/09 and 11/06/09) 4 X Dragon Med, dragonstone,

Treasure Trails: Rune items: 99+, Sara Shield: 1, Guthix Pl8: 1, Saradomin Stole: 1, Sara page, zammy page 2, Random items eg Mahogony Planks/runes: Countless:P

PvP items: 1X Dark Bow, 3X Dragon items, 1X corrupt dragon dagger, Mny rune/random items

I would say the popular option is Aviansies. Sure it can get crowded, but the extreme amounts of profit and great ranged exp makes it all worthwhile.

Aviansies Notable Drops:

Rune Dagger(p++) alchs for 4.8kgp

Adamantite Bar(4 noted) the main drop, around 9k value, fairly common

Runite Limbs, should be alched

Clue Scrolls (level 3) you'll get 1 every trip

Runes and Feathers (they build up)

Overall, the kill:bar ratio is usually close to 1:1. You can expect large amounts of profit from training here, around 26m from 96-99 (my friend did that).

Tanking method > prayer method. Prayer -> less profit.

Best of luck! :D

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

in addition to my last post, i know the link is slayer but if you scroll down you will find a guide to all the different range monsters and their drops

Matt the cup

matt_the_cup.png

Barrows: Dharoks Greataxe, verac's Flail, Bolt Racks, Dragon Med

KBD: 1 X Draconic Vissage (50-50) (18/5/09), 2 X KBD heads(26/5/09 and 11/06/09) 4 X Dragon Med, dragonstone,

Treasure Trails: Rune items: 99+, Sara Shield: 1, Guthix Pl8: 1, Saradomin Stole: 1, Sara page, zammy page 2, Random items eg Mahogony Planks/runes: Countless:P

PvP items: 1X Dark Bow, 3X Dragon items, 1X corrupt dragon dagger, Mny rune/random items

Taking Bones to Peaches tabs is a good substitute (or addition) to a healing familiar. If you cannot take a bunyip, take a BoB with extra food. Expect shorter trips, but you will still get lots of profit. Prayer is just too costly in my opinion, and it gives you a worse range attack bonus.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!