Tip.It Times: 15 Mar 2009

Cowman_133

Can you really produce such a good one? Prove it then.

Give him a break. Its not easy writing such a long report.

I'm not going as far as saying that my writing style will be as smoothly and all, but I'm pretty sure I could explain it MUCH clearer. And actually, if I find some spare time tonight, I will. Don't expect too much text though. Numbers say much more than words in this case.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I decided I will try to cover the mathematical content of the article in an hopefully more clear way.

Let's get stated

First of all,

skills DO stand alone. With the GE, nearly anything can get sold easily.

Example: Wanna train farming? Don't be an idiot and think you train it for free, because you get your seeds from you kingdom.

Why?

You are losing out on the opportunity to make MUCH more by putting your workers on fish. I dont have exact numbers but for instance: when investing 75k on fish you get 200k back, investing on maples get's you 120k back (including seeds or course, maples itself are making you lose money).

Conclusion: Just be smart and put your money on fish, sell the fish, buy the seeds. Getting something yourself doesnt mean you get it for free.

Allright, that's covered, now let's get onto the subject:

We are comparing

a) getting 70-80 woodcutting with yews + getting 70-80 fletching with yews.

B) getting 70-80 woodcutting with yews + getting 70-80 fletching with maples.

(thats another thing, the author first says "cutting logs and fletching the latter, but in both his case he is cutting yews)

Both have the option of stringing or not.

Comparing this is very easy. We will calculate how much time each method takes and how much it costs/makes. Then we compare those 2 data and we'll see for ourselves (based on you hourly income) whether it is worth it.

Now some completely unnecessary data:

[hide=Data for cutting]250 yews cut per hour

7134 yews to cut

28.53 hours cutting

3.089M profit[/hide]

Why unnecessary? Because in BOTH cases, the player is cutting yews. There is NOTHING to compare. What you did before the fletching doesn't matter AT ALL. Both actions are independant. You don't HAVE TO keep your logs, you don't have to sell them either.

If you do want to compare it with cutting maples (which is the most stupid thing you can do though), here's how (fyi).

[hide=Comparing]7134 yews to cut

28.53 hours cutting

3.089M profit

Maples:

450 maples cut per hour

12483 maples to cut

27.74 hours cutting

0.449M profit

So, to save 0.79 hours (28.53-27.74), you are paying 2.640M gp. Thus, if you are making more than 3.341M an hour (2.640/0.79), go cut maples. if not, you better spend 0.79 hours more and make 2.640 more.

(i.e. you are paying 2.640M to save 0.79 hours)[/hide]

On to the fletching:

Assumption: 1200 actions made an hour (1200 bows cut)

I'm not adding in stringing, because strining a maple bow is a stupid thing to do. It's much cheaper to just buy and cut another maple log into a longbow (u).

Maples:

32829 to fletch

27.35 hours

The profits/costs are a bit harder to determine for maples, since they are considered as junk. Let's say they are worth 50gp each (lower than junk/GE price, higher than what shop pays).

Thus, the profits are (50-36)*32829 = 459.6k

Yews:

26383 to fletch

21.99 hours

(432-429)*26383 = - 79.1k profit = 79.1k loss.

Let's compare them: By doing yews, you save 5.36 hours, but you pay 538.7k more. This means, if you can make more than 100k an hour, do yews.

THAT'S IT. Really, it's that simple. I'll put all that matters in a hide tag again, because I put a little bit of chit chat in between. Notice how short it is (and hopefully clear).

[hide=summary]Maples:

32829 to fletch

27.35 hours

The profits/costs are a bit harder to determine for maples, since they are considered as junk. Let's say they are worth 50gp each (lower than junk/GE price, higher than what shop pays).

Thus, the profits are (50-36)*32829 = 459.6k

Yews:

26383 to fletch

21.99 hours

(432-429)*26383 = - 79.1k profit = 79.1k loss.

Let's compare them: By doing yews, you save 5.36 hours, but you pay 538.7k more. This means, if you can make more than 100k an hour, do yews.[/hide]

A scientific Scaper is an efficient Scaper.

And it's hard to dispute that claim.

Not if you have a lot of time on your hands. I do cut willows to level up wc, which is relatively slow compared to chopping teaks, yet I can gain more xp in a day than someone that cuts teaks. Yes, if I cut teaks I would obviously gain more xp, but I'm up for giving myself a harder time (e.g. power mining iron, training range and all melee stats at giant spiders, etc).

A scientific Scaper is an efficient Scaper.

And it's hard to dispute that claim.

Not if you have a lot of time on your hands. I do cut willows to level up wc, which is relatively slow compared to chopping teaks, yet I can gain more xp in a day than someone that cuts teaks. Yes, if I cut teaks I would obviously gain more xp, but I'm up for giving myself a harder time (e.g. power mining iron, training range and all melee stats at giant spiders, etc).

In bold and italicized: Well, that's not very efficient then, is it. Basically, that statement says if you were more efficient you would gain more xp.

rssig2.png

No matter how scientific I look at fletching, it's still a waste of time unless you need it for a quest that gives a good reward. So unless you really want total xp or something (that's not really a scientific effective goal), all this calculations are a bit worthless since it's not really worth getting fletching higher than 70.