Mac OSX Snow Leopard

Sam

I hear it's being released in September, and I'm planning to upgrade. I know that Snow Leopard is 64 bit, and I'm not sure if my computer has the ability to handle a 64 bit OS.

Specs:

Version 10.5.7

iMac G8 24 inch display

2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

If there's anything else you need specs-wise, just ask.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Yes, you can. Leopard itself is 64-bit. Your GPU will not be able to take advantage of Open CL, however. I might make a Snow Leopard thread to clear up the confusion.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Buy a new Macintosh.

Snow Leopard will run fine; it'll still speed up your system and free up some hard drive space.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's no "specs" for a 64x os. You should be all right, although i'm sure a quick google search would clear up the problem. :thumbsup:
Oh and the only specification you need for a 64-bit OS is a 64-bit capable processor. I believe AMD's Athlon 64 and Apple's PowerPC were the first consumer 64-bit processors. Intel had some server CPUs that were 64-bit capable, but weren't for mass market. Windows slowly followed the 64-bit path to support the Athlon 64.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

To my understanding, not all Intel Core 2 processors x64 capable. I wasn't aware that they clocked them that low and I know that no Macintosh has a clock speed that low on an Intel platform. And just because we have the clock speed doesn't narrow it down; it would be better to have the code name or number. You might also be thinking of FSB, which is measured in megahertz.

The only one that I can think of that has a clock speed so low was the iMac G4 with a 700Mhz PowerPC CPU.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I believe he means 2800Mhz, I guess he just typo'd the "2". This is assuming he is talking about the same iMac as he mentioned in the first post.

For the purpose of this thread, as the iMac is either from Mid-2007 or Early-2008 (a relatively new model - Aluminium), I have no doubts that it will be able to run Snow Leopard perfectly fine in full 64-bit glory.

As for OpenCL, the supported GPU's are the NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870 (http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html), so you won't be able to take advantage to that, but I don't really think that is really important as the difference it makes on a day to day basis won't be too significant, I guess.