Athiesm in Runescape

AThousandLies

Since my return to Runescape, I've noticed the religions and Gods within the game play a bigger role and are more prominent. I've noticed various mentioning of religious zealots, speficially saradominist extremists. Saradominism is most comparable to Christianity in the real world. I'm currently doing The Golem, and I noticed that the Varmen's notes about an expedition make reference to the Golems being avoided and left dormant due to the Saradominist's Church's views against it, saying it was evil. Could that be a metaphor of sorts for the Catholic Church's views on cloning, homosexuality or abortion?

Just some food for thought.

Also historically (Elizabethan-era England, or something along those lines), golems were thought to be magical constructs created by Jews to protect their wealth.

Magic = Bad.

Since my return to Runescape, I've noticed the religions and Gods within the game play a bigger role and are more prominent. I've noticed various mentioning of religious zealots, speficially saradominist extremists. Saradominism is most comparable to Christianity in the real world. I'm currently doing The Golem, and I noticed that the Varmen's notes about an expedition make reference to the Golems being avoided and left dormant due to the Saradominist's Church's views against it, saying it was evil. Could that be a metaphor of sorts for the Catholic Church's views on cloning, homosexuality or abortion?

Look...I really think you're reading too much into a little java game. :?

I think you're not reading into it enough :?

A little over-analysis can't hurt too much.

I'm on the side of the "don't read into it too much" people. I sense this sort of thought can only create flaming, but we'll see...

Anywho, I'm sure that there are both Theists and Atheists who program Runescape, and I really doubt they're trying to influence players in terms of religion or a lack thereof. That said, I always do find it interesting that there are many religions in the Runescape world. However, I think it's done to mimic real life. And, by the way, it's someting we should all be able to have an open mind about. I think JAGeX does send that message, so I see nothing wrong with it.

lpinkus

I'm on the side of the "don't read into it too much" people. I sense this sort of thought can only create flaming, but we'll see...

Anywho, I'm sure that there are both Theists and Atheists who program Runescape, and I really doubt they're trying to influence players in terms of religion or a lack thereof. That said, I always do find it interesting that there are many religions in the Runescape world. However, I think it's done to mimic real life. And, by the way, it's someting we should all be able to have an open mind about. I think JAGeX does send that message, so I see nothing wrong with it.

lpinkus

Well I'm not saying they're trying to influence players; more just an expression of their discontent towards religion.

I think most people on this topic are missing the point. Whether or not it is supposed to be linked to real-world topics, Jagex puts these points and plots into the game to add story. I mean, if there wasn't any religion, beliefs, back-history, or opinions in the game, what exactly would it be? One-dimensional, with no personality or flavour?

It's added to make the game interesting. That's all.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

I think most people on this topic are missing the point. Whether or not it is supposed to be linked to real-world topics, Jagex puts these points and plots into the game to add story. I mean, if there wasn't any religion, beliefs, back-history, or opinions in the game, what exactly would it be? One-dimensional, with no personality or flavour?

It's added to make the game interesting. That's all.

Well said, Out. And since I see your sig has changed, congrats on the new armor :)

lpinkus

Well I'm not saying they're trying to influence players; more just an expression of their discontent towards religion.

No, I wouldn't even say that much. They're not trying to express that they're (JAGeX) opposed to religion. Personally I would have a problem with that, but I don't feel that's actually the case. I'm sure there are people who are religious and non-religious working for JAGeX and, just like at any business, they find a way to get along.

lpinkus

No, I wouldn't even say that much. They're not trying to express that they're (JAGeX) opposed to religion. Personally I would have a problem with that, but I don't feel that's actually the case. I'm sure there are people who are religious and non-religious working for JAGeX and, just like at any business, they find a way to get along.

lpinkus

Precisely. As with any truely professional company, you must be able to accept a very diverse group of people to work along with. As, for example, with my performing theatre troup: There are 16 of us, and every single person is different in almost opposite ways. We've got 5 atheists (one including myself, but doesn't matter anyways) 3 Catholics, 4 Christians, 3 undenominational (ack...spelling on that?), and even 1 muslim. Two are even vegetarian, and one is from France...now THAT is what I call diverse...yet we all get along perfectly well. Bringing personal religions and beliefs into strict business is bad, but bringing religion into a business to add flavour, plot, or characters to a story being made or told is great.

Anyways...Lpinkus, my armor's about 1 month old...I was just too much of a lazy bum to update my signature since then. :wink:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

As the gods are there to say why we can't do stuff.

They give us morality, To say what is right and what is wrong.

Atheists believe no god(I know I am one) but most of us do think there are good reasons for people to believe in god.

If there is no god then why should we treat 'lesser-animals'(I use the term because its the only term) diffrently.

1st person:Why do we not go on some rampage and kill everyone?

2nd person:Because killing is wrong.

1st person: Why?

2nd person: ummm.... because god said so.

God is the get out clause of why we should and shouldn't do things

The question here is what is Atheist and what isn't.

Should there be a option to be Atheist is runescape? yes

Should there be no gods in runescape? no

Why not? Morality

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME A GOOD REASON THAT THE WHOLE OF RS SHOULD NOT BE PVP OR NON-PVP THEN I WITHDRAW THIS MESSAGE

BUT YOU CAN NOT SHOW THE POINTS:

God

Morality

Its a game

Its just stupid

Its unfair

Or anyother such statements that relate to right and wrong

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME A GOOD REASON THAT THE WHOLE OF RS SHOULD NOT BE PVP OR NON-PVP THEN I WITHDRAW THIS MESSAGE

God

Morality

Its a game

Its just stupid

Its unfair

What the [bleep]? That's the most stupid challenge for an argument I've ever heard. You're essentially saying "prove me wrong, without using the points I know already make me wrong". Grow up.

Which is my point

God may or may not exist but the idea is what sets the diffrents between good and evil, right and wrong.

You're essentially saying "prove me wrong, without using the points I know already make me wrong". Grow up

God

Morality

Its a game

Its just stupid

Its unfair

No Im showing what you are saying we should do:

No god

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

It would be interesting though. Atheist skills.

I'm not sure what that means. Like I said, I don't feel JAGeX is trying to influence players' choices. In fact, I think they have a responsibility to not do the aforementioned.

Also, this topic has nothing to do with people supporting why they are an atheist/theist. Sorry, but I've seen similar topics get flam-ey and go that way. I'm sure there's plenty of that in Off-Topic.

lpinkus

It would be interesting though. Atheist skills.

I'm not sure what that means. Like I said, I don't feel JAGeX is trying to influence players' choices. In fact, I think they have a responsibility to not do the aforementioned.

Also, this topic has nothing to do with people supporting why they are an atheist/theist. Sorry, but I've seen similar topics get flam-ey and go that way. I'm sure there's plenty of that in Off-Topic.

lpinkus

I agree. Last time, archimage_a went psycho on the entire thread of "The world OMG should be censored" thread because he didn't believe that Christianity had any truth or dignity to it.

Well if this is news to you, no one really cares what any individual believes in. The topic that should be discussed here is whether or not Jagex is trying to influence religion into our real lives. The answer is, quite simply:

No. As I've said before, and will say again, Jagex uses the religions and gods as a way of making the game more fanatical and spicy. They put them into the game to add loads of plot lines, many many new items, and as a way to create conflict. No good story (or any story, for that matter) can be complete without conflict, and the three main gods have been used to do so time and time again.

If that's not going to persuade you, then this must. If Jagex put Saradomin, Guthix, and Zamorak into the game to influence and pound religion into our heads, then they must have put mining in it to tell us we should all become miners in real life. They also put ranging, magic, crafting, slayer, herblore, and farming to tell us we need to become archers, wizards, crafters, killers, potion makers, and farmers.

My final word on the topic: :roll:

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

^^^

Just to clarify, I wasn't in any way saying that was the case. If people are that easily influenced, it's their own damned fault. I was merely asking if perhaps some of the religious-related dialogue and whatnot in the game is an expression of the views of some of Jagex's staff. Influence isn't directly caused by expression; it's based on how people interpret that experession.

Omg people it's a fantasy in the form of a bunch of pixels made up by some guy/gal you don't even know probably living 500,000 miles away from you. Why are you taking all this crap so seriously?

Yes...I'm finished.

Sup noobs.