One4yourhead's General Ranging Guide (F2P)

one4yourhead

One4yourheads Range Training Guide (F2P)

Intro

First off, consider multiple guides. Take strong points from at least 2 or 3 guides to get started on your Ranged skill.

Items needed: Common Sense, and Friends

Levels 1-10

Easy enough right? Of course! First of head over to the range tutor just north of the general store in Lumbridge. Claim the range tutor and get the 25 training arrows and trainging bow. Now you have a short bow, from tutorial island 25 bronze and training arrow, and a training bow. Head to the chicken coupe located west of the cow pin in Lumbridge. Kill chickens (1) using both bows (training first). Pick up all the raw Chickens and feathers (and arrows you shoot!?!). Bank all these in the Lumbridge castle (third floor). After reaching level 10, go to the Grand Exchange and sell all your raw chickens and feathers, and buy an oak short bow and as many bronze arrows as possible. You can train on chikens til about 15, but if your in dire need for money you should switch to cows.

Levels 11-30

Now that youre getting the hang of it, that cow pin you passed going to the bank, head there and start slaughtering cows (2). It will most likely be very crowded, but with the ranged skill, you just need to click fast. Cow Hides are VERY important to bank, this is your money making item! Now this might start to get a little board, but take a break when you reach level 20. Go to the Grand Exchange and sell your cow hides so far. Then buy yourself a brand new willow short bow (20 ranged) and more arrows if you need them but buy iron arrows this time. Head back to the pin to test out your willow short and range to level 30. Sell all your cow hides when you finish, then get a Maple bow, the best F2P bow.

Levels 31-50

Now you have a choice, to train Minitours (12), or Monks (5). I choose to switch up every now and then, just to make things interesting?!? Minitours are good because they drop iron arrows quite a bit and have a fence so you can range from a safe spot. Monks are good because they heal you, so you dont need any food! Unfortunately... there isnt any money making items and banks are far away as well, Either way your going to get pretty decent exp, but the money just isnt that great.

Locations:

Minitours Level 2 of Stronghold of Security (clime down the pit in the middle of Barbarian Village)

Monks East of Ice Mountain, in the Monastery

Levels 50-70

Go to the Verrock Sewers waaayy in the back. Youre looking for Moss Giants. I recommend using steel arrows on these, they are aggressive (will attack you if youre standing close enough), but there is a safe spot or two when your ranging these guys. Also Flesh Crawlers, located in the Stronghold of Security (2nd Level) is a GREAT place to get easy experience even if your Defense is bad. Flesh Crawlers can only hit 1s and are aggressive AND there is a safe spot in both areas of Flesh Crawlers, they are 2 x 2 squares big, your character is 1 x 1, so get fixed in a safe spot and start killing. This can take a while but just hang in there.

Level 70-99

Almost there!! Ha ha just messing... but really, this will take a while. Now youre going against Lesser Demons in the Karamja Volcano. Watch out for the Red Deadly Spiders! There is a safe spot, but on free worlds, this place is usually crowded which kinda stinks. For good money these are great, they drop rune items and lots of coins (Gold Pieces).

There are Ankous in the Stronghold of Security (5th level) and if you havent already, get the Fighting/Fancy boots at the end. Anyways, this place can also be a little crowded, but if you click fast, youll be fine. Try to mix it up and play some Castle Wars, or go to the Duel Arena so you dont get too board.

Conclusion:

Have fun with it, do it with friends if you can (I wish I would have :( ). Youre not going to get to 99 in a day nor a week, so take your time. Congratz when or if you get 99 ranged =D> .

And if you could rate my guide I know I dont have any pictures, but other than that share your thoughts

Thanks

one4yourhead.png

10000.png Total Exp. - 350,000

5000.png Total Exp. - 337,500

----------------------------------------------------------------

2ry4y3b.jpgI like to think I'm cool..

Kill cows south of Falador from 10-30. Use bronze arrows- iron arrows are not necessary and are a waste of cash at this level. Sell all your hides on the GE and you should get some good money.

Starting at 30 you can range Hill Giants in Edgeville Dungeon, but it will be slow. Best to start at 40 with green d'hide and iron arrows. Can move to minotaurs in SoS. Monks aren't worth it because of lack of drops.

At 40, move to or stay at Hill Giants until 55-60. At this point, sell all your big bones for some great cash. From here you can move to lessers in Karamja. Keep with iron arrows and they should get paid for through drops.

At all spots there are safespots (even at Falador cows, but you don't need one there). Use them wisely.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

i didn't put hill giants, only because its very crowded, and if your going to make a pure your level will be pretty low

one4yourhead.png

10000.png Total Exp. - 350,000

5000.png Total Exp. - 337,500

----------------------------------------------------------------

2ry4y3b.jpgI like to think I'm cool..

nice guid but you should put more of a selection i did 1through 20 at chickens you pick up feathers and phesnts then sell them but if you want cash at level 15 kill cows after that go to hill giants at 20 till 40 make sure you pick up the limprut roots an bury the big bones 40 through 60 go to ogres :thumbsup:

Flesh crawlers and Giant spiders would actually be the absolute best xp you can get in f2p.

nice guid but you should put more of a selection i did 1through 20 at chickens you pick up feathers and phesnts then sell them but if you want cash at level 15 kill cows after that go to hill giants at 20 till 40 make sure you pick up the limprut roots an bury the big bones 40 through 60 go to ogres :thumbsup:

Terrible advice, don't listen to that. Ogres are P2P anyways. Kill chickens until level 10, then cows from 10-33. Hill Giants from 33 onward until you feel like you can take on giant spiders or flesh crawlers as zaaps said.

i didn't put hill giants, only because its very crowded, and if your going to make a pure your level will be pretty low

You're a ranger, crowded doesn't matter to you. If you're any good at what you do, you can time your first hits before anyone using melee, and pretty much before most rangers. When you get good at it, you can juggle the two Hill Giants close to the stone slab near the ladder. That way, nobody gets kills but you. You have to time it right though, which you should get good at after a while. Juggling hill giants (attacking two at once) is a great way to clear out your spot.

I'm tweaking my advice a bit.

1-10: chickens at Fred the Farmer's chicken coop. That's north of Lumbridge, just follow the road north past the general store and bridge. Don't pick up the chickens, they're not worth having to bank. There's not usually many people there, and if you're ranging you can beat them out anyways.

10-33: cows at the cow pin south of Falador. Pures like to train here but, again, since you're ranging you can beat them out of a first hit the majority of the time. Stand near the middle of the pin. I found that in HD that facing the camera north and up as high as it goes gives you the best view of all the cows.

33/35 to whenever you get bored: Hill Giants. I don't recommend starting at 30, because you don't hit well enough to kill them quickly and your arrows will show up for others to pick them up. This reduces your profit and forces you to buy/get more arrows sooner. I recommend iron arrows. At level 33 in studded leather, I found that 33 was the level I started killing them fast enough to be reasonable exp and profit. 35 will work too.

I haven't got far enough with a F2P ranger to know when it's good to do Flesh Crawlers or Giant Spiders. Flesh Crawlers are a good alternative to Hill Giants when you get bored, but the profit is less consistent. You can safespot hill giants and flesh crawlers easily.

Well there you go, I pretty much gave you all the raw info for the first part of your guide.

demonslayer2.png

If you don't know that fleshies and spidies are good... please.

At 70-80 range, the xp rate is approx. 23k-27k/hr. Def recommended for fleshies, an absolute must for spidies.

I don't know when to move to them, and I can't recommend from personal experience... please. :roll:

The second part of your post would have sufficed.

demonslayer2.png

i put Flesh Crawlers at a low ranged level because of safespots, and the fact that they max hit 1's

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that they are better than every other training spot you mentioned, except giant spiders.

Try to mix it up and play some Castle Wars

First, Castle Wars is a P2P minigame.

Also there are some spelling errors:

Minotaurs not Minitours etc...

Otherwise, it does contain most of the common recommended monsters to train range on and it is an okay guide.

weiyao5.png

I've been experimenting with different ranging techniques, especially for lower levels. Have you ever tried using a crossbow with bolts? At a measly 2gp per bolt, poor rangers can buy many bolts for a lot cheaper price than that of the bronze arrow. Unfortunately, experience might be gained a bit slower due to the decreased speed of the crossbow (I am not sure about this, can someone confirm?).

This method may only be effective until ~level 20 as the crossbow fails in ranged accuracy in comparison to other different types of bows, when by then, rangers would have been able to receive enough income to support using the bow-and-arrow technique.

As to your guide, it contains many already known tactics. It requires pictures and more in depth information that the average-joe may not know or understand. Overall, it may prove informational to new players, but that is all.

~Sewdisfrnubs