Buying a new computer. - Got the Pro, new question again....

Blake

I generally boot up a game on a spur of the moment decision. By the time I go and do all that I don't feel like playing the game anymore.

Damnit, I want my youthful days when I could spend hours upon hours on a game back :(

Just timed it, going from Mac os x, to windows, to playing oblivion took 1:42 minutes.

See? By that time I would've already been distracted by some other shiny object.

Well, not all of us have a 5 second attention span.

Hm. Stands to reason someone would have a snarky reply.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that nothing could out-do Leopard's wake from sleep, as it usually took about two seconds (I timed everything on Leopard to compare) to wake up again. Snow Leopard cuts this down to a few milliseconds, and the drivers for my mouse load instantly as well. Shut down took eight seconds on Leopard and on Snow Leopards it's now five. Startup time was around the same, both within margin of error, so about 38 seconds for boot up. Time Machine is also amazingly fast, compared to the sluggish backup of Leopard. I never timed it, but it's certainly faster (and Spotlight doesn't continue to index it each time). The only incompatibility that I unearthed was with Camino. I use the Camino web browser to play Runescape, but it is unable to play Java on OS X 10.6. It's not that big of a deal, as I can use Firefox, but there was a reason I switch from Opera and Firefox. It kind of ticks me off, but not enough to regret early installation. I was really worried about Microsoft Mouse (the software for my mouse) not working well. But surprisingly enough, even being a 32-bit application, it works fine; I still have all of my button preferences. Exposé in the dock is probably the best multi-tasking feature I have seen on any operating system (The Linux two-screen thingy is certainly comparable, however). Even though I got Snow Leopard yesterday, I have used it multiple times to drag pictures from Safari onto my Mail account without having to move one or the other to my second monitor. For those wondering, I did an upgrade (all of my files and applications stay, including those that appear on start-up [which I never had any]), not a clean installation and I got 5GB of free space more.

Certainly worth the upgrade. :thumbup:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I thought that nothing could out-do Leopard's wake from sleep, as it usually took about two seconds (I timed everything on Leopard to compare) to wake up again. Snow Leopard cuts this down to a few milliseconds, and the drivers for my mouse load instantly as well. Shut down took eight seconds on Leopard and on Snow Leopards it's now five. Startup time was around the same, both within margin of error, so about 38 seconds for boot up. Time Machine is also amazingly fast, compared to the sluggish backup of Leopard. I never timed it, but it's certainly faster (and Spotlight doesn't continue to index it each time). The only incompatibility that I unearthed was with Camino. I use the Camino web browser to play Runescape, but it is unable to play Java on OS X 10.6. It's not that big of a deal, as I can use Firefox, but there was a reason I switch from Opera and Firefox. It kind of ticks me off, but not enough to regret early installation. I was really worried about Microsoft Mouse (the software for my mouse) not working well. But surprisingly enough, even being a 32-bit application, it works fine; I still have all of my button preferences. Exposé in the dock is probably the best multi-tasking feature I have seen on any operating system (The Linux two-screen thingy is certainly comparable, however). Even though I got Snow Leopard yesterday, I have used it multiple times to drag pictures from Safari onto my Mail account without having to move one or the other to my second monitor. For those wondering, I did an upgrade (all of my files and applications stay, including those that appear on start-up [which I never had any]), not a clean installation and I got 5GB of free space more.

What's your computer? I've been looking at upgrading as well but because I have a first gen MacBook (3 yrs old) I don't think it would have good use of all the new features because it's not 64-bit.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Nice, with the time part, you now get the same times I get with Vista x64 (except for the wake up from sleep, which takes about 20-30 (never really timed this one since I don't make it sleep often) seconds on my Vista. The upgrade seems to suit you good :). On second though, my boot up time takes about 40 seconds, just timed again.

What's your computer? I've been looking at upgrading as well but because I have a first gen MacBook (3 yrs old) I don't think it would have good use of all the new features because it's not 64-bit.

The previous generation MacBook (aluminum, 2.4Ghz, Nvidia 9400M, 4GB of RAM, and 250GB HDD.) Yours is the one with the Core Duo, right? I'll take a look at some reviews that people have posted about it on theirs.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

The previous generation MacBook (aluminum, 2.4Ghz, Nvidia 9400M, 4GB of RAM, and 250GB HDD.) Yours is the one with the Core Duo, right? I'll take a look at some reviews that people have posted about it on theirs.

That would be great, thanks alot Laura.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I found this thread, where one user explains that he/she experiences a faster OS despite not having a 64-bit processor.

Thanks. I may just go for it because I don't see a new computer anywhere in the future, so this will probably be the best I can get for now.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

I would go for the RAM, but I never use much HDD space. Buy your RAM from a third party, such as Crucial, Kingston, OWC, or Newegg and it will cost about $50.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Not really. You can just slot it in and provided it works with your motherboard it should just recognise it automatically.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I would go for the RAM, but I never use much HDD space. Buy your RAM from a third party, such as Crucial, Kingston, OWC, or Newegg and it will cost about $50.

Is it hard to install?

Really easy with the the aluminium ones. Easier yet with the polycarbonate.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Sold my Macbook for $700, XP pro and 4 product keys, good deal?

I also bought the MacBook Pro, love it :thumbsup: Got a free iTouch, which my mom bought for $200, and a free printer, didnt know about the printer so thats a good thing too ::'

Took 4 hours to install the updates to Leopard, then an hour and a half to install Snow Leopard, now I have to get the back up off the time machine, then I have to install windows xp... Fun stuff :thumbdown:

2s0cxth.png

Some problems are coming up, one of them being RS wont play in HD. I'll post the other ones later if I don't get them figured out.

RS HD worked fine on my old Macbook, why wont it work on my Macbook PRO? My old one was 2GHz 2GB, this is 2.26 GHz 2GB and it won't work. Also, the game screen doesn't fit the whole screen. There is a large black space on the left and right. I want to play in HD again :cry:

2s0cxth.png

Sold my Macbook for $700, XP pro and 4 product keys, good deal?

I also bought the MacBook Pro, love it :thumbsup: Got a free iTouch, which my mom bought for $200, and a free printer, didnt know about the printer so thats a good thing too ::'

Took 4 hours to install the updates to Leopard, then an hour and a half to install Snow Leopard, now I have to get the back up off the time machine, then I have to install windows xp... Fun stuff :thumbdown:

4 hours O_o that's an aweful lot of time!

I downloaded Firefox and everything works fine in there, HD and all... I still want to play with Safari though, so if anybody knows how to fix it that would be great... This thread has become more like a "Help T_R_S_Blader with all his technical problems" thread lol, thanks again for all your help everyone! ::'

2s0cxth.png

No idea. It works fine when I tried it. Though, I don't use it because it doesn't have a maximize button. You didn't have to update Leopard by the way, as it wouldn't have done anything anyway. But four hours? Bizarre. I probably would have just returned it at that point. :?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Okay, to run HD in Safari open the Applications folder and rightclick Safari. Hit "Get Info" and the check the box to run it in 32-bit. Jagex is aware of this issue.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Again why I wouldn't use Safari for RS. Jagex is aware of this issue and is working on it. In any case, minimize the window to the Dock. Reopen it then open up a new tab (preferably to the Top Sites) and adjust the page by hitting the green button. Switch back to Runescape and manually adjust the page to maximum length. This should cause Runescape to force a refresh. This anomally dispersed after the cache adjusted for the change (I had to delete the cache to make this work).

hopesolopatriot.jpg