2 - Introduction

3 - Locations

4- Information

5- Closing

6- Credits

1 - Revisions

October 8, 2009 -

- I went though and added a map of the locations

- I added a screenshot of each area you can chop Ivy at.

- Removed video and will create a new one eventually.

- Removed the Stealing Creation section for now. It will come back eventually.

October 13, 2009 -

-added a useful item section under Information chapter.

2 - Introduction

Some might say woodcutting is a mischievious skill to train. Thanks to a new update, on September 23, 2009, it is now easy to train.

News from September 23:

Willows, maples and magic trees all have their uses, but what of the lesser known vegetation such as the hollow trees of Mort Myre or the arctic pines of the Fremennik isles? With this week’s update, we’ve taken a closer look at the Woodcutting skill, rebalancing experience for the less popular trees and cultivating some new forms of training, but it’s not just XP rates that we’ve been analysing...

Teak and mahogany trees now also have a special log or two up their sleeves, which are worth much more than their weight in gold to the right buyer! Choking ivy has been seen clambering up the stone walls of RuneScape’s major cities and is much tougher to deal with than it looks. We’ve also tweaked arctic pine-splitting and put up some Prayer-refreshing hollow bark torches in the Haunted Woods, so get your hatchets out and your arms chopping!

Finally, the workers at the Lumber Yard are inviting high-level woodcutters to participate in 'Sawmill Training', where you can grab, slice and saw your way to greater experience. For more information on all of these changes, head over to the Woodcutting section of the Game Guide.

Mod Trick

RuneScape Content Developer

On September 23rd, Jagex released a woodcutting update. There are several new things like special logs and a new mini game. One of the coolest things are Ivy vines! Through this guide you will learn where they are, how much experience they give, and why you should cut them.

3- Locations

Click here for a map that shows the locations. (over 2mb in size)

North wall of Varrock Palace:

091008181005.png

South-east outer wall of Varrock Palace:

091008181100.png

North side of the north wall of Falador:

091008181342.png

South side of the south wall of Falador:

091008181819.png

South-east of Taverley:

091008182122.png

East wall of East Ardougne church:

091008182256.png

North side of the north wall of Yanille:

091008182544.png

South wall of Castle Wars:

091008182936.png

This is what it looks like in game.

2s99lw4.png

4- Information

You need level 68 woodcutting to cut ivy down. You get 332.5 experience per successful chop. You do not get any resources from these.

When you successfully chop down ivy, it gives you this message in game:

ve811d.png

I receive 69-74k experience per hour with a rune hatchet and 71-80k expierience per hour with a dragon hatchet. Keep in mind, I was browsing forums, so therefore, I could achieve an additional 3-7k experience per hour more if I was paying 100% attention.

These do drop nests:

opv8li.png

If you happen to be browsing the forums, turn on sounds.

You will hear whether you are chopping or not and also, when a birds nest appears, a sound of birds chirping will occur.

Useful Items:

Dragon Hatchet

If you are serious about getting 99 Woodcutting, then you should invest the 2.5 million into the dragon hatchet. It gives a 5% boost to cutting speed.

Full Lumberjack Armour

This gives a slight boost to the experience per hour.

Strung Rabbit's Foot

This increases your chance of getting a nest when woodcutting.

Beaver

At level 33 summoning, you can summon a beaver which gives a +2 boost to woodcutting.

Axeman's folly

This ale gives a +1 boost to woodcutting temporarily.

Mature Axeman's folly

This ale gives a +2 boost to woodcutting temporarily.

Morphic/Sacred Clay Hatchet

Nealy doubles your experience per hour rate, but you get around 30k experience per hatchet.

5- Closing

There are three reasons why you should chop Ivy:

One, it is fast experience for those who are not interested in money from yews or magics.

Based on others getting around 75k experience per hour at the mid 80's using a dragon hatchet, from 85 to 99 woodcutting, it would take 130 hours. This translates into 65 days at two hours a day, 43 days at 3 hours a day, 32.5 days at 4 hours a day, 26 days at 5 hours a day, 21 days at 6 hours a day. and 18 days at 7 hours a day of woodcutting non stop.

Two, the vines are easy to get to.

The last reason is because woodcutting is an interesting skill in itself. You can make a lot of money and three skills rely on woodcutting. Those skills are fire making, fletching, and construction.

Woodcutting is my favorite skill and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

6- Credits

Runecape Knowledge base - for information

Tip.it forums - for hosting this guide

Runecid11 - for sound suggestion and reading update guide before release

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Glad to see it back!

Once again, great guide. Really nothing more to be said, except perhaps recommendations on locations.

Glad to see it back!

Once again, great guide. Really nothing more to be said, except perhaps recommendations on locations.

I will add that in with a map sometime this week. I wonder if we can add flash to the new forums. I would love to make an interactive map of locations with information such as quickest way ti each place as well as whether it is crowded *pms administrator*

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Sorry to be negative, but alot of this is completely pointless.

All people need to know is where to go, and exp rates - which you did a terrible job of (measure the amount of xp gained in an hour, not the time taken to get 1k xp). I don't think you need to justify why they should be training wc, even though your reasons are completely irrelevant, and you have four pictures showing exactly the same thing..

This could be written alot better in the space of half a page, rather than the three you took here.

Sorry to be negative, but alot of this is completely pointless.

All people need to know is where to go, and exp rates - which you did a terrible job of (measure the amount of xp gained in an hour, not the time taken to get 1k xp). I don't think you need to justify why they should be training wc, even though your reasons are completely irrelevant, and you have four pictures showing exactly the same thing..

This could be written alot better in the space of half a page, rather than the three you took here.

I did say where to go to chop and I mentioned I am working on a map of locations with varous information such as how many people are their, is it easy to access, ect.

I gave hourly experience rates. I said I got 72k experience per hour with a rune hatchet. I just editted my results with a dragon hatchet into the guide.

And to your remark about length, I believe quality outranks quanity.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Added a section on useful tools.

This is looking alot better now

You might want to check your facts though

Dragon axe is more like 15%, although I don't have any xp/h comparisons atm

Unless you actually play the minigame for fun, lumberjack clothing takes much longer to get than you save by having it.

Does a beaver produce planks and logs while cutting ivy?

Oh, and I think you mean 'tedious' in your introduction, not 'mischevious'

Probably the most useful thing you could add to this is information on the benefits of each particular spot

Here's my opinions, if it helps:

North Varrock

Provides a mix of gp and exp, if you cut the yews and chop ivy while waiting for respawns.

South-East Varrock

You can plant a magic tree in the farming patch for the same effect as north Varrock.

North Falador

No advantages here.

South Falador

Yew tree is also close by. Further from a bank than North Varrock though.

South-East Taverley

Similar to South-Varrock, but no bank and the tree patch is further away.

Ardougne Church

Large amount of ivy here, but spawns are fast enough that is largely irrelevant.

North Yanille

No advantages here.

South Castle Wars

No advantages here, unless you really like the atmosphere.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last reason is because woodcutting is an interesting skill in itself. You can make a lot of money

Is that really a valid reason to cut down ivy, considering that ivy makes no money?

dbeastsig2.gif

One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

The last reason is because woodcutting is an interesting skill in itself. You can make a lot of money

Is that really a valid reason to cut down ivy, considering that ivy makes no money?

They drop nests a lot. I made over 7m from 85ish to 99 woodcutting in loot plus another 1m from the nests themselves.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

Ehh. I'm still not buying it. I mean, you could cut down ivy and sell the seeds, but you could cut magics from 75 woodcutting til you have 19 million exp like i did, making lots of money in the process.

It just doesn't compare.

dbeastsig2.gif

One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Ehh. I'm still not buying it. I mean, you could cut down ivy and sell the seeds, but you could cut magics from 75 woodcutting til you have 19 million exp like i did, making lots of money in the process.

It just doesn't compare.

These are met more for experience than money. Otherwise they would yield a product which would sell for something. All I was saying is that you can make money from these as well as gain experience.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

• 2 weeks later...