[Help Wanted!] Mining: A Complete Guide

Zaaps1

Haha, alright. Gotcha.

Would you mind, then, timing 5-10 runs and giving me the average time?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did a couple runs with the following stats:

1 rune pick

1 explorers ring 3

Done on a world with ~500-600 people with relatively no compitition (1 low level, I compensated by picking a iron ore he dropped for every time he beat me)

1. Go to Mining spot with three ores

2. Start stopwatch the moment you click on the fist iron ore

3. Fill backpack with ore

4. Cabbage port

5. Rest to 99-100% energy

6. Run to deposit box, Deposit ores

7. Run to set of ores

8.Stop the watch when you start mining the first ore.

From just a few runs i got the general idea that it would be a little over 3 minutes per run or 186 seconds

which comes out to around ~540 ores an hour

Obviously if you have more competition or if you are on a world with less people it will be less, and if you go on a world with alot of people it will be more, you also might get a tiny bit more if you use run replenish

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i'd add my shares to this guide, a little bit of background is that i got 90 mining using granite, then 90 - 99 LRC.

Note - I'm afraid i can't take any pictures at this moment since im f2p :(

Heres the granite method:

Equipment:

Inventory -

20 waterskins (FULL)

20,000 gold coins

Wielded Items-

Helmet - Any helmet of your choice

Torso - Varrock achievement armour > Desert robe top

Legs - Desert robe bottom

Hands - Anything

Weapon - Dragon Pickaxe > Inferno Adze > Rune pickaxe

Feet - Desert boots

Sheild - No sheild

Amulet - Amulet of glory (charged)

Cape - Any cape of your choice

NOTE - Desert robes are essential to granite mining, without them Mining experience/hr will be considerably lower.

Getting there:

Method 1 -

Go through the Shantay pass in South Al Kharid.

Get onto the flying carpet ride and select the destination as "Bedabin Camp"

Run south past the next camp following the path leading you to the quarry.

Method 2 -

Complete the Enakhra's Lahment Quest and use the Camulet to directly teleport there.

The mining method

Now to get the most out of this A lot of concetration and patience is required, it is the fastest way to get to level 80 mining in members.

1)Look for a empty spot in a relatively full world e.g. a world with around 1500+ players. You need a spot where not a lot of movement is required, Spots where two rocks are diagonally next to each other and the player just stands between them.

2) First click one rock and instantly after right click the next rock and hover your mouse above the "mining option"

3)Once that first ore is mined, again instantly click the second rock where the mouse was hovering over. Again Instantly after this action, Right click the first ore in your inventory and hover your mouse over the "drop" option.

4)Soon as the second rock is mined, click the drop option where your mouse has already been placed and you guessed it.. instantly left click the next rock, and get the mouse ready to drop the previously mined ore.

Using the method above uses the best technique which i find very useful and sped up training a lot

Other Mining Boosts:

Sacred clay pickaxe - This item is very useful and can last for around 15-17k xp (need to check that figure) They are obtained through the Stealing Creation minigame and 1 pickaxe requires 20 points. However personally i feel these pickaxes are not worth the troubles to get as they don't make up for the time taken to get them, however they are a very good way of taking a break from mining and doing something a little different.

Master Penance Horn - This item is extremely useful and lasts for 1.2m xp (so thats 600k bonus xp) They are obtained through the Barbarian Assault minigame and requires "Level 5 in any role" and "a normal penance horn." This item however can help training and if it gained in under 9 hours, it is considered to be worth it. I can't explain the best ways in order to fill this horn, but i suggest looking at Barbarian Assault guides for better advice.

Varrcok Achievement diary armour - This armou can only be obtained after completing the medium/Hard task on the Varrock Achievement diary. They help a player to mine extra ores and are worth the effort to obtain, it helps boost training and experience rates.

Using all three of the above - Using all three of those at the same time is a deadly combination, where each item stacks, this gives x3 mining xp + extra ores which also give xp.

The experience rates

I have tested these results numerous times and each figure is rounded to the nearest 1000:

Normal mining with a standard rune pickaxe, no extra boosts whatsoever: 40,000 xp/hr

Normal mining with a standard dragon piackaxe, no extra boosts whatsoever: 50,000xp/hr

Mining with any pickaxe + Varrock acheivement diary armour : 45,000xp/hr

Mining with sacred clay pickaxes, no other boosts : 80,000xp/hr

Mining with a sacred clay pickaxe and + Varrock achievement diary armour : 85,000xp/hr

Mining with a normal pickaxe and the master penance horn: 80,000xp/hr

Mining with a normal pickaxe and the master penance horn + Varrock achievement diary armour: 85,000xp/hr

Mining with a sacred clay pickaxe, master penance horn + Varrock achievement diary armour ( The best combination): 125,000xp/hr

One final note, hope this guide helps you to train mining to level 80 where experience rates increase and have fun :D

Note - I need to spell check what i've written, any help would be greatly appreceited.

Thanks for all of that! I'll certainly add it to the guide when I get around to it when school is over! :)

I'll spell check it when I add it.

OOPS, I forgot to add a few things:

- The extra amount of cash is to buy full waterskins when you run out, it helps save time and experience. Simply run north from the qaurry to the camp where people train at bandits. In the general store they sell full water skins, so just sell your empty ones and buy a full new set, simply run back and continue mining!

- I Don't have the requirements for a Lava Titan, so you will need someone else to check xp rates for including that factor.

On Waterskins, though, I still feel that Humidify is the better option.

Oh yeah, forgot about that spell but i find the runes and getting the actual spell takes time which could be uses for mining but whatever suits you.

One other thing is the "Enchanted water tiara" which also refills water skins, I believe that item can be obtained from the "Dealing with Sacabras" ( or however you spell it) quest.

I've never used both items before, so i don't have conclusive knowledge on which is best.

I calc'd before that Humidify, if you use lots of waterskins as you do, is better than the tiara or refilling them manually, due to the fact that you get magic xp similar to alching.

I calc'd before that Humidify, if you use lots of waterskins as you do, is better than the tiara or refilling them manually, due to the fact that you get magic xp similar to alching.

Ah yeah true, forgot about additional xp gains. Anyway hope my granite information helped, I'll check out anything else that is needed for the guide

Note: PERFECT guide ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Im just wondering, but is F2P gold mining worth it anymore? I remember I quit a while ago back when you could make around 75k/h on Crafting Guild Ore, but now, using your calculation of 100-200 gold ore/hour, means you can only make around 43k/hour in gp (using the current price of 288 gp).

22031_s.gif

Gold fell hard over the past few months. Honestly I'd have to say no, it's probably not worth it unless you have no better moneymaker, which is unfortunate for many f2p'ers.

Oh yeah, forgot about that spell but i find the runes and getting the actual spell takes time which could be uses for mining but whatever suits you.

One other thing is the "Enchanted water tiara" which also refills water skins, I believe that item can be obtained from the "Dealing with Sacabras" ( or however you spell it) quest.

I've never used both items before, so i don't have conclusive knowledge on which is best.

I was under the impression you did not need waterskins if you had the tiara.

Anyway, Sweet guide...

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Yeah, that's correct. No worries though, it's right in the guide.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

An awful thing that coal in mining guild is now busily crowded. It would be a good method for F2Pers to earn $ though. Iron at rimmington before the deposit box could always be banked at draynor bank with ring explorer 3.

Brilliant guide I have to say.

Nice part about rune mining at light temple.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

Skeleton mine is an alt.

Thanks!

With the new deposit box in the dungeon entrance in the dwarfen mine you can BANK around 840 iron an hour f2p that is (no pak yak ect.. and if you have no competition which should be easy) Its the best p2p AND f2p for iron mining+banking

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Did you test this yourself?

I don't have varrok armor, but I can powermine granite without any water. Just wear full desert robes and bring EE, it easily keep you fully healed. Not sure if just the legs + feet are enough but I would bet it is; I don't even spec very often.

yuki2d.png

Just for you zaaps, i did some testing. myself

At 64 mining, with no competition, on a world with ~700 people:

I can do a load every 1:55 - 2:00 minutes @ 100% concentration (no afking whatsoever)

This turns out to 840-870 ore an hour

Since it takes less then 10 seconds to bank, i assume that having a BoB will only marginally increase the ore per hour, perhaps 900 ore/hour

Visual Tutorial

mininga.png

miningb.png

Only chose worlds where your ping is <50 since there will probably be competition

By far the best iron mining+ banking for f2p or p2p, the xp/hour is very near what it would be for iron mining + dropping, so its the best choice for f2p hands down.

EDIT: Also, if your f2p with tight bankspace and plan on being there for a while, bring a gem bag.

30k xp and 200k+ gp/hour eusa_dance.gif not bad!

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Great, added both to guide and credited.

• 3 months later...

Sweet guide! I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thing, but I didn't see the Mining Guild resource dungeon listed. This would seem to be an ideal spot for those with 45+ dungeoneering. It's the only mine with 3 runite rocks.

Just for you zaaps, i did some testing. myself

At 64 mining, with no competition, on a world with ~700 people:

I can do a load every 1:55 - 2:00 minutes @ 100% concentration (no afking whatsoever)

This turns out to 840-870 ore an hour

Since it takes less then 10 seconds to bank, i assume that having a BoB will only marginally increase the ore per hour, perhaps 900 ore/hour

Only chose worlds where your ping is <50 since there will probably be competition

By far the best iron mining+ banking for f2p or p2p, the xp/hour is very near what it would be for iron mining + dropping, so its the best choice for f2p hands down.

EDIT: Also, if your f2p with tight bankspace and plan on being there for a while, bring a gem bag.

30k xp and 200k+ gp/hour eusa_dance.gif not bad!

I still think kyatt mining is slightly better assuming the runs I did way back are accurate, and I'm betting competition at both would be roughly the same. There may only be 450k ranked people in DG, but you only need 15 to access the dungeon.

But yes, comparable to dropping iron in F2P if not better (not to mention less concentration and clicking) while still making a decent profit by F2P standards.