Are these good specs? [ANOTHER LAPTOP QUESTION]

fubol

Hey guys ,

I've been looking for a good , affordable laptop for some time now , that can be used for school work , internetting, applications (Photoshop , MS Office), watching movies here and there , music en last but not least , a bit of gaming

ATM I'm on a realy low end pentium 4 laptop with a SiS RAID card (omg , I know :rolleyes: )

But yeah , that's how it is ..

Now I want a laptop

Since I don't really know how good 'high detail' is , I don't think I'll need it , if I can play on medium , I'm happy , if low , that so be it, I can't even play any games ATM

I asked an looked around a bit and found this laptop (my budget is 700€) :

Acer Aspire 5739G-664G32MN € 789,- (I know , it's a bit more , but if it's a good laptop , I can still go knock on my parents' door)

Processor: 2,2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 2MB L2 cache

Multi-Core-Technology: Dual-Core

64 bits: yes

RAM: 4GB(max 4GB, don't plan to upgrade) DDR2 SDRAM - PC2-6400 - 800 MHz (2 x 2 GB)

HDD: 320 GB - 5400 rpm

DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM

15.6" TFT with LED-backlight , 1366 x 768 ( WXGA )(Is that a low res?)

5 in one cardreader ( MMC, SD Memory Card, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro )

GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M, 1024 MB GDDR3 SDRAM - 1024 MB

1.3MP Webcam

Network:

- 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Wlan: Intel WI-FI Link 5100 (802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n )

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

-4 x USB 2.0 | 1 x HDMI | 1 x eSATA - SATA extern | 1 x VGA - HD D-Sub | 1 x Ethernet - RJ-45 | 1 x Kopfhörer - Stereo 3,5 mm | 1 x Mikrofon - 3,5 mm | 1 x Modem - RJ-11

-Fingerprint sensor

-6 cell Lithium ion battery

-MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

That's about it , things I should look out for (bad parts)? is the GFX card good? processor? tell me if it is garbage and what kind of games it can run (I'm interested in FIFA 10 , Need For Speed Shift, ..), but remember , it's not a primary gaming-laptop!

So , tell me :D , I'd like your opinion

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

Not a fan of the resolution, but I don't think you'll find much else at that price point. I would also prefer having a DVI port, but HDMI can be converted so it's no big deal. Looks good otherwise; it should perform well with what you want.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Not a fan of the resolution, but I don't think you'll find much else at that price point. I would also prefer having a DVI port, but HDMI can be converted so it's no big deal. Looks good otherwise; it should perform well with what you want.

Thank you Laura :)

At the others , feel free to share your opinion!

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

Yeah, the resolution is completely [cabbage]e. I would sooner use 1024*768 over that. But otherwise, there's nothing I can add that laura hasn't already been over - good for the price and should do what you want it to do.

So if it got another resolution , it would be a perfect laptop for my needs?

How about the video card/processor? what kind of games will I be able to run and what detail?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

HDMI is better than DVI, since it's also HD and has sound, so if he ever wants to plug it to the tv or something to watch a movie in HD or something, he can do it.

Processor and video card are quite good for most games, maybe not highest settings for some, but that's a good video card.

Eh, resolution is a tricky thing. If you get it too high then it becomes difficult to read fonts. If you get it too low, no one will want to play games or use it for watching movies. That same resolution is used on some 10.1" screens and could be acceptable at around 14". I'm not going to say that you're going to loathe or love it because many factors tie in.The safest bet is to try out laptops in person to see what is acceptable for you, even if you don't plan on buying the laptops you're trying, but just viewing the screens. I have a 16" HP that has the same resolution as my current laptop (1280x800) which is 13". The resolution didn't bother me on the 16" because I had never seen much different, but I now see how much space went to waste. I would personally opt for a larger resolution because it matters to me (and lately I have been persnickety about my computers) but I cannot decide that for you.

Again, try looking at other laptops in a nearby store. Once you find a screen you're comfortable with, jot down the resolution and shop where you want. That is, if you're truly worried about it. Good luck. ;)

HDMI is better than DVI, since it's also HD and has sound, so if he ever wants to plug it to the tv or something to watch a movie in HD or something, he can do it.
I know, that is why I wasn't making a big deal out of it. I just like to see DVI because many monitors are still without HDMI.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

That resolution is no where was bad as people are stating.

I've got a laptop with pretty much the same res and the same size screen, in fact every laptop I deal with at work which is 15.4 has pretty much the same resolution.

You'll seriously have a hard time finding a higher resolution for a 15.4 screen without your spending atleast 100 more.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I know, that is why I wasn't making a big deal out of it. I just like to see DVI because many monitors are still without HDMI.

Actually, around where I live, most of the screens you find in stores do have an HDMI port on them, almost every screen.

Meh. Just don't even worry about the resolution; it's fine for you. I'm sorry I even brought it up because I don't want to scare you out of your purchase.

Actually, around where I live, most of the screens you find in stores do have an HDMI port on them, almost every screen.

Oh certainly. Most of the newer monitors coming out have HDMI.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Ah well , while this is still open , I'll post another question :

Will I be able to play Left for Death 2 and Modern Warfare 2? and what settings? high? medium?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy