Handbook for the Sellout

Ryan

Well, another music topic came up again and again the topic is brought up of people hating bands once they go mainstream. I used to have this problem.

It's funny, Five Iron Frenzy is my favorite band and I've heard this song a million times. The other day on my way to school it came on and the lyrics finally clicked with me. A band I loved finally put it in perspective. Now, I'm sure this is coming out wrong and morons will say "well if they say vote for bush, then you would vote for bush." That's not what I'm getting at. It just helped me realize how stupid it is to judge a band by their mainstream status.

Here are the lyrics:

You found a way to draw a line,

between the world and you.

Faking your idenity, it's true.

Did you think the word "alternative",

was only meant for the likes of you?

Do you think that they're too cool now?

Being popular is lame.

You're the one who made them popular,

all their songs are still the same.

You found them first,

it made you stand apart, you know?

But then everyone jumped on the same bandwagon,

making you an average Joe,

A lemming for the mediocre,

you were just a plain old joker status quo.

Blame it on the band now.

If you [puncture] them do they bleed?

What's the point in playing what they want,

if you won't let them succed?

Do you remember where we all came from?

Do you remember what it's all about?

When you made a point to be objective,

before you started writing Handbook for the Sellout?

You sunk your worth in being different,

just to be like your own kind.

You traded in objectiveness,

for the underground you follow blind.

I'll admit these aren't profound our deeper thinking lyrics. And 99% of you will say you don't have this problem or just not post at all. But I'd like to see a little discussion about the topic at hand.

I'm not even sure what mainstream might be considered, seeing as so many peopel have different views. For all purposes, the bands I listen to aren't mainstream, but its because I love the music they play and they do it well. If they do end up going mainstream, good on them I say. I listen to music that I like, I don't pay attention to things like being mainstream. So I guess I'm in the 99% who doesn't have your problem? :P

demorisclaire2md7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, i wouldnt say im not compleatly unlike that. For instance if a song is put on a tv ad or, hevan forbid, an Ipod ad i almost imediatly dislike it. Not really by choice but because it gets flogged so much and EVERYone starts humming it and.. grrr.

With music i like my own thing, no matter what or who like it. Aslong as the band didnt change there style to become mainstream *cough*Grinspoon*cough* then it doesnt bother me. Good for them, they make good music and all the more power to them.

manedit.png

First and only pixel thinger I made.

There's a difference with a band remaining the same when they get succes and getting the succes with words they mean, and a band changing their music and words to get more money. If it is the first you won't see me complaining about them being on MTV, if it is the last I probably won't buy it since it isn't real anymore.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Those are great lyrics. Thanks for sharing em.

No problem :).

How2PK, yeah that's a good attitude. What do you do when a punk band let's says "screw the man, screw corporations" and all that good stuff and then signs with a big label? They're lyrics remain the same they're just acting fake.

How2PK, yeah that's a good attitude. What do you do when a punk band let's says "screw the man, screw corporations" and all that good stuff and then signs with a big label? They're lyrics remain the same they're just acting fake.

It depends really, you need to take a few things in consideration. My thoughts in my previous reply are very basic and black and white. A band needs to think of it's continuation too of course, if they have no other chance to survive, I wouldn't blame them. But if everything remains the same but they do sign a contract at a big label, while they said they wouldn't, I don't know if I would blame them. On one side, they are kind of scamming their fans, and on the other hand, who are we to tell them what and what not to do, you need a very strong personality to not sell yourself.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

It depends really, you need to take a few things in consideration. My thoughts in my previous reply are very basic and black and white. A band needs to think of it's continuation too of course, if they have no other chance to survive, I wouldn't blame them. But if everything remains the same but they do sign a contract at a big label, while they said they wouldn't, I don't know if I would blame them. On one side, they are kind of scamming their fans, and on the other hand, who are we to tell them what and what not to do, you need a very strong personality to not sell yourself.

Sounds good :).