the economy and pohs

bjbj1991

most people know that the economy is breaking down. inflation is taking over the game in many areas. on the runescape forums jagex mentioned that pohs may come by the end of the year. i was thinking that if they charged you for your house then they may be able to save the economy(outhouse=1gp an hour,deuplex=100gp an hour,2 story house with garden=100k an hour,castle=500k an hour,city=own jagex,doll house=100gp each). the only problem with this idea is that scamming may go up but since everyone is complaning about mass bannings lattly maby they already figured that out. however if they do somthing like this then inflation may stop or reverse itself untill people get bored with their houses.

"Oh, the economy is dying."

"New things are killing the economy."

"Houses will kill the economy."

Cry me a bloody river, build me a bridge and get the hell over it. Please.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

the economy has made prices of small items raise, mediocre items fall and big items, go both ways but mainly raise

bow strings have risen up 50% in price barrows, comes down slowly as do whips and d sq's phats raise alot

There have been several people I discussed the possible consequences of POHS with, but in the end I told the same to all of them:

1) If carpentry is going to allow a relatively small group of players to make huge amounts of cash (not necessarily pure: remember the effects slayer) it will cause inflation, mainly translating into rising rare prices.

2) If carpentry is going to drain (a lot) of money, it could cause 'deflation', mainly translating into dropping rare prices.

3) If carpentry is going to be another farming-like skill with relatively small relation to the economy, it's not gonna change anything.

Well *duh - that are all possible happenings* you may think now, just like my friends did :P, but hey... It's all speculating till we know how it works otherwise ;).

I dont want to be charged hourly... Just make it one huge freaking one time fee for a nice sized castle and im set.

Then make a cheaper way to get a house by getting really high carpentry and building it yourself (well cheaper if you dont spend everything getting the carpentry lvls)

Level 76

!99 MAGIC!

Ancient Magicks Pker

There is currently no problem with the runescape economy, however there are large amounts of money now circulating and numurous people are making huge amounts quickly.

However the runscape economy problem ties in with the numbers playing the game and the number of new players. An example of this can be the fast falling rune prices becauses there isn't as much demamd as there is supply.

However the crash will occur if a large number of players leave runescape and especially hte high level players, and the lower levels aren't coming through to replace them. This could casue numerous items to be being sold with a zero demand.

Meaning beloved items such as Santas and Party hats world more that half in price and not only this all dragon armour would be reduced to rune prices it is a supply and demand thing.

And having alot of money in the game is actually a good thing because it means raw materials such as coal, lobs etc. will go up in value because the top levels with all the money can afford to pay more. Allowing a more evem spread of the money instead of the numeous powerhouses we currently have.

Just remeber the econmy is all to do with the number of "NEW" players without them it will stop because the demand will go for products and high alching will be the only way to get money which has sort of all ready happen with yew longs and magic bows

pocket_0aces.png

bow strings have risen up 50% in price barrows, comes down slowly as do whips and d sq's phats raise alot

There are simple reasons for those price chances:

You can't do complete bows without a bow string. Now with ancient magicks, it's really worth it to get 94 magic. High alching is pretty fast and cheap xp and yew long bows are relatively fast to make. They also give really nice money, so people mas product them instead of things like steel plates for example. There's so huge demand for yew longs that fletchers can get up to 600gp per bow. This means that they don't lose money (well, they make less profit) if they pay a bit more for strings and get them faster that way. It's normal that a price for such item as a bow string rises because fletchers can use more money to buy them (without them losing money).

Every day thousands of barrow items come to the game. You don't need to be really high lvl to get them, so there are many people hunting them. This means that more and more barrow armours come, but not that many people actually need them. This makes the price drop as the supply is so much higher than demand.

For whips it's a bit same thing as with barrows. More and more people are going for 85 slayer and current 85+ slayers keep slaying abbys because whips are pretty fast cash still. Because of the massive amount of whip hunters, too many whips are supplied to the markets.

Dragon shields were pretty stable for a long time, but they've lately been going down. It isn't a miracle because that obsidian shield is like the same, it doesn't look bad (IMO better than d shield) and it's alot more common drop. This means that the price must go down. Those who want maximum protection buy obsidian. Those who want to look cool buy obsidian.

It's as simple thing as supply&demand. When some items are really needed (demand), their prices go up. When people start getting (supply) those items more, the demand will go down and so will the price. A good example of this is the price of the cannonballs. Before slayer they were pretty cheap because there was basically no demand. After slayer (and after 85+ slayers revealed their banks&tips) people started to want them but there wasn't enough supply -> the prices went up. Later on masses of people started to produce cannonballs and suddenly there was a bit more supply than demand. This made the prices go down a bit. When dark beasts came, cannonballs rose in price for a day or 2. After people realised that it doesn't drop anything new, they abandoned their ideas of getting 90+ slayer and thus made the demand fall.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

what i ment by the economy is dieing is that inflation on raw materals is making it harder to raise lvls so many are resorting to scamming and becoming merchants (in my apinion are almost as bad). however if they make pohs payed for by the time you are on runescape then people with 200million will take the more exspencive houses(atleast i think they would). the price thing is just a joke did you not notice outhouse,

dollhouse and city.

No you are absolutely wrong, its cry me a bloody river and jump off it 8)

yow90.gif

drops: dragon-- none

barrows-- none

tzhaar---- obby shield (1), obby cape (1)

IF

There was some kind of auctioning of the houses, then that would represent a substanial lose of money from runescape. This would then force merchants to actually do something like the rest of us. Because of the major slide in prices hyper-deflation would happen, This would mean that the humble gp would suddenly be worth something like 50* more. This is because most people on runescape require a merchant to sell their stuff, because of the lack of merchants there will be minimal competition, this small amount of merchants would then have runescape... by the balls.

But... Because of the hyper-deflation people would suddenly need money, to pay rent that would be at the end of each month and be 1% of what you payed for it(most people will miss this out). This would then result in the selling of many items to merchants that have money. This would then tip the scales of money in to hyper-inflation with the gp now worthless many merchants would now have gianormous amounts of rares, Which they would then disperse across runescape for astronomical sums of money, because money will be tiny. From that point on the market would settle down to create a vaccum for the money to dissapper into.

It would also mean that many many people would for clans that would own one large house with everyone paying in money for it.

BTW anyone with a brain cell will relise at the point of hyper-inflation no one will be looking at the houseing prices...let alone bidding

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Yea why dont u nobody really cares about this stuff. for me inflation is a good thing so i can spend the 2.5 mill that ive been saving up for 5 years 8)

fixfriendsol7.gif

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

Killimataro.png