Why do people put punk, goth and emo into one group?

mixand

It's safe to say that someone's [developmentally delayed]ed if they only listen to music based on the label that's slapped onto the cd. It doesn't matter what "group" something belongs to, just listen to what you enjoy and dress normally. After all, I don't need to start wearing skinny jeans and cut myself to enjoy listening to an "emo" band.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Agreed whole-heartedly kenshin, fashion should mean nothing. But unfortunately it does.

And for all the people who lump all american rejects, afi and bullet for my valentine into emo...well they call it emo because they listen to the pop charts, without really knowing what style it is, nor do they truly care >.>

I love progressive, every form of it, it's so much fun :P

and BTW emo, punk and goth...well they all made their contributions to the music business, in dumbing down the majority, so I'd like to say screw em all, lets get smart with progressive :P

Modern Goths (after Roman times) was originally created by a group of Intelligent Poets in the early 80's, who wanted a way to express themselves as individuals who were above the rest of society in a more cultured manner. ORIGINALLY, Goth had nothing to do with dressing in Drags or chains, or Hot Topic Clothing. The original modern goths were very Philosophical, and deeply studied poetry, cultures, history, and astronomy.

Modern Emo kids are wearing out a style that originally was created to mimic the Goth, in their own way. For the most part, "Emo Kids" do not concern themselves so much with their own philosophical ideals, as they do with their emotions. Emo is a genre of music based off of a blend of Punk and Ska, and always sing about pain through life, the difficulties of growing up, etc.

Punk is a genre of music HIGHLY influenced by European rock bands. The largest (and most influential) bands were all British. The Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, etc. Modern Punk bands include Anti-flag, Goldfinger.. Punk is a Highly anti-establishment genre, who are very much against Authoritarian beliefs.

The original punk genre was extremely short, and only lasted about 3 years before subsiding into different, broader genres.

These 3 groups aren't anywhere near close to each other. The only similarity is the amount of stereotypes generated by people who haven't done any research on the subject..

My Walkthrough and Game Guide

http://forum.tip.it/topic/11294-advertise-your-thing-here-all-posted-elsewhere-removed/page__view__findpost__p__4761261

My Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/USDMcat

Latest Announcement:

3-11-11: Both Episodes 1 and 2 of my Borderlands Walkthrough have been uploaded in HD!

These 3 groups aren't anywhere near close to each other. The only similarity is the amount of stereotypes generated by people who haven't done any research on the subject..

Right, and the Bloods and the Crips have nothing in common either.

Goth = Intelligent poet

Emo= Nonconforming genre of music

Punk= Anti-establishment based genre of music

Other than music tying Emo and Punk together, the only thing else they have in common is that they normally have black hair.

My Walkthrough and Game Guide

http://forum.tip.it/topic/11294-advertise-your-thing-here-all-posted-elsewhere-removed/page__view__findpost__p__4761261

My Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/USDMcat

Latest Announcement:

3-11-11: Both Episodes 1 and 2 of my Borderlands Walkthrough have been uploaded in HD!

Through the generalization that all people who are punk/emo/goth. people are depressed. I would have to say that the reason people come to this conclusion is due to there alleged darker lyrics and fashion

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

Goth = Intelligent poet

Other than music tying Emo and Punk together, the only thing else they have in common is that they normally have black hair.

I'm diggin' your opinion on the subject :thumbup:.

Glad someone's doing research. I wasn't aware of the origins of "modern goth" but I know now. Learn somethin new e'er day :D

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Goth = Intelligent poet

I acknowledge that they do have their differences, but you said they don't have any similarities which is just completely untrue.

First, they are all countercultures prevalent amongst nonconformist teens and young adults. Go to pretty much any high school and you will see these cliques.

Second, they are usually obsessed with having an "original" appearance, even though they ironically follow their own norms.

Third, I'm pretty sure the thread maker was referring to the modern day version of "goth", judging by the pictures he posted. So yes, goths are into poetry, but your typical teenager falls a little short of philosophical, so I think it's safe to say that the definition has definitely altered through time.

Four, even playing by your own definitions, they still have a bunch in common. You said that goths saw themselves as above the rest of society, and treated themselves as such. Sound an awful lot like the anti-establishment and nonconformist attitudes that the punks and emos have. They're all dissenting elitists. All three also have a fascination with art.

I will probably add more later.

Emo is really an evolution of goth into a more modern/popular version.

Emo is an evolution of punk into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRCjfHpOXM

Emotional lyrics, clean to harsh instrumentals, and a lot of squealing.

OP, you got your emo picture wrong.

63155389_l.jpg

^Saetia

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

It depends on which areas of each genre you're talking about. I don't know a lot about goth, but punk can vary from bands like Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones and Rancid to bands like Green Day and Blink 182. It's much the same for emo - it varies from some of my favourite bands (Sunny Day Real Estate, The Get Up Kids, Bright Eyes, even Death Cab) to some of the worst music you'll ever hear (Hawthorne Heights, Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy).

It's not difficult to make comparisons if you interpret it broadly - whilst Blink 182 are considered by some to be punk (pop-punk at the least), they are easily compared to emo bands like Fall Out Boy. On the other hand it's difficult to compare Bright Eyes to The Ramones.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13