Switching Desktop

stonewall337

When messing around with linux, I noticed a cool feature that let you switch around your desktop, and swap it for another. Basically, you have the same background and desktop icons, but you can have different folders/programs open, and can switch between the two. Sorry, I really don't know how to explain this better. Anyone know an app that can replicate this? So I just press shift-f5 or something and change windows between one and the other.

Ok so I think I found out what I am looking for, as far as what its called. Anyone got an app of this, or direct me to one?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Microsoft released a PowerToy for Windows XP titled Virtual Desktop Manager that does pretty much this, you could find it at this link: Microsoft Powertoys

Other than that, or if you're not on XP then I believe there's numerous Apps around, like this one on SourceForge: VirtuaWin. That one may be good as it advertises itself as being similar to the Linux / Unix feature.

They have several different names, such as virtual desktops (the most common one) and workspaces. piesofdoom already said some apps.

I've also found them very useful (I'm a Linux user myself), once you get used to them you can't stop :P

Thanks Pie, I knew about the first one after I did a bit more looking, but I didn't know about the second. Thanks.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about an app that does this, but you can run several copies of WIndows/Linux on the same desktop with VMware Workstation. This emulates (tricks into thinking) a windows or linux machine on your desktop. So, you'll be running two Operating Systems on on computer! If you want to check this out, there is a free trial at VMware Workstation. Hope this helps!

03261953z.gif

Berynab.png

Instead of vmware(which isn't a good program btw), use Virutal Box, it's opensource, so you pay nothing to use it. But it should be mentoinned that it's not the same kind of multiple deskops as the Ubuntu one as you actually run a full Windows in the virtual machine, not just the desktop.