A few Dagannoth Kings Questions

Mischlings

1) Just how far can each of the Kings see you? And I don't just mean Prime -- how far do I have to be from Rex and Supreme for them not to see me?

2) Is it possible to tank Supreme's attacks? Would using Piety while wearing Verac's and using a unicorn for healing suffice? (I would probably use SGS to kill Supreme and be praying mage so Prime doesn't destroy me)

3) Now that the spinolyps hit a little more accurately (constitution update), are they any more of a nuisance than before? Do I have to worry about losing a large number of hitpoints to them?

Just a few questions that I had -- I haven't been there since before the RuneTek 5 update, so I was wondering what has changed since then.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

1. About 80% of the room ever since the last RT update. So its pretty hard to hide.

2. Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it as you'd need both specs to hit really. Its viable to do it once in a while, but I wouldn't do it all the time.

3. Not been for about 1 month so I can't say.

Really its best to try to only get 1 king on you at a time as its can eat your food like crazy/

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

1) Just how far can each of the Kings see you? And I don't just mean Prime -- how far do I have to be from Rex and Supreme for them not to see me?

2) Is it possible to tank Supreme's attacks? Would using Piety while wearing Verac's and using a unicorn for healing suffice? (I would probably use SGS to kill Supreme and be praying mage so Prime doesn't destroy me)

3) Now that the spinolyps hit a little more accurately (constitution update), are they any more of a nuisance than before? Do I have to worry about losing a large number of hitpoints to them?

Just a few questions that I had -- I haven't been there since before the RuneTek 5 update, so I was wondering what has changed since then.

1. If using a rune crossbow, supreme will attack you if you are at max distance and he is one square behind prime. If you are using karils or crystal he will attack you when he is either on top of prime or one square towards you, not sure which one. Rex wont attack you unless you are not on the northern edge. When you auto-approach to range prime, your character almost always moves one square too far forward. Get really far away from prime, click attack, then move one diagonal square backwards and click attack again, that is your max range. Honestly for anyone who is solo hybing, I feel bad for them if they aren't using a rune crossbow here. The extra distance is the only way to to be in one of the guaranteed no-pull spots when prime isn't in a sweet-spot, not to mention karils kills prime way faster and lets you wear a prayer boosting cape.

2. I didn't look at your stats, but just pray range and don't use piety even if you're solo hybing. If you are 90-90 melees or lower, you'll probably need piety on a lot of the time, especially if you are on a higher pot world. Otherwise just melee supreme and turn on piety if the kill is taking noticeably long. I have a wrist watch that I set primes spawntime to, and it just counts down to let me know when he's spawning, really handy. Most people don't do that of course, you can just guess when he's about to spawn and turn mage protect on, or you can do some other things such as count attack turns, which would also help you decide whether or not you'll need piety for the current kill.

3. With unicorn and constantly have a protection prayer on (which hybs do) they're still trivial. For a mage with unicorn they are a bit tougher but unicorn maging was trivial to begin with.

yuki2d.png

So, from what I can see here, spinolyps aren't a problem when using a unicorn. Okay.

So I can't really tank Supreme's attacks? I was thinking it'd be possible, so I might have to rethink that.

As for the pulling, I would most likely use a crystal bow against Prime. So I'd have to be at about as far as I can possibly be -- on rapid, I'm guessing? Or would I have to use long range?

I was actually thinking of solo tribriding (killing Prime and Rex almost at the same time to give me as much time to deal with just Supreme as possible), though there was another idea that I had that I don't know if it would be viable, but I seem to remember seeing someone mentioning it (kill just Supreme and Rex while constantly praying mage against Prime).

As for my stats, here are the relevant stats:

94 attack, strength, defence

97 hitpoints

92 ranged

87 magic

89 summoning

I also do not have any extreme potions.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

So, from what I can see here, spinolyps aren't a problem when using a unicorn. Okay.

So I can't really tank Supreme's attacks? I was thinking it'd be possible, so I might have to rethink that.

As for the pulling, I would most likely use a crystal bow against Prime. So I'd have to be at about as far as I can possibly be -- on rapid, I'm guessing? Or would I have to use long range?

I was actually thinking of solo tribriding (killing Prime and Rex almost at the same time to give me as much time to deal with just Supreme as possible), though there was another idea that I had that I don't know if it would be viable, but I seem to remember seeing someone mentioning it (kill just Supreme and Rex while constantly praying mage against Prime).

As for my stats, here are the relevant stats:

94 attack, strength, defence

97 hitpoints

92 ranged

87 magic

89 summoning

I also do not have any extreme potions.

If you're going to solo tribrid you need to go in the order of supreme, rex, prime repeat. Use rapid style. Tanking supreme is feasible but its not efficient or safe, protection prayers don't drain very fast compared to boosting prayers anyway.

yuki2d.png

Only solo tribrid if you have them for a slayer task with the full slayer helm otherwise you'll have issues killing them all quick enough.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Only solo tribrid if you have them for a slayer task with the full slayer helm otherwise you'll have issues killing them all quick enough.

Have it and was thinking of using it sometime in the future when I had a dagannoth task.

@i_r_slayer, wouldn't Rex attack me while I was killing Supreme, though? I remember seeing a video of solo tribriding in which both Rex and Prime were killed at about the same time so that Supreme was the only one left alive for as long as possible, making it easy to kill him. I don't know if I'd be able to kill Prime and Supreme in the time it takes Rex to respawn, so wouldn't I get hammered by Rex?

MischlingsSH.png

Have it and was thinking of using it sometime in the future when I had a dagannoth task.

@i_r_slayer, wouldn't Rex attack me while I was killing Supreme, though? I remember seeing a video of solo tribriding in which both Rex and Prime were killed at about the same time so that Supreme was the only one left alive for as long as possible, making it easy to kill him. I don't know if I'd be able to kill Prime and Supreme in the time it takes Rex to respawn, so wouldn't I get hammered by Rex?

Yeah your chance of pulling him are pretty good. If your solo tribriding you'd have piety on for the whole supreme kill and switch to melee pray if/when you pull rex. Your melee stats are pretty good and you have SGS so you could probably pull it off without needing to use too many brews.

Edit: the wait to kill rex thing to me is a bit of a gimmick, it'll slow down your kill speed substantially and depending on how you decide to do it, you'll be using more prayer points because you have to pray mage when you normally wouldn't have to for the rex portion.

yuki2d.png

If your careful when entering the lair and stand close enough to the ladder rex won't attack you until you move into his range.

If he attacks you as soon as you enter go up the ladder wait a few seconds then try again. It saves a lot of food and hassle.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

If your careful when entering the lair and stand close enough to the ladder rex won't attack you until you move into his range.

If he attacks you as soon as you enter go up the ladder wait a few seconds then try again. It saves a lot of food and hassle.

That works sometimes, but Rex's pull area is to large for that to work effectively every kill.

Rex's actual line of vision is about 6 squares, so it all depends where supreme stands when he targets you. The majority of the time he will be in Rex's viewing range, if not when he spawns but when he wanders.

Since you will be praying mage, prime isn't much of an issue. What you don't want when you solo is Supreme AND Rex on you at the same time.

Using the "Kill Rex & Prime together" method is typically the best to solo with, as it minimizes the chance for damage. Otherwise if you solo, even with overloads and a slayer helm, you cannot kill all the spawns fast enough.

So if you solo you either need to

A ) Stick to only 2 bosses, EG. Rex and Prime

B ) Kill Prime and Rex together at the same time, so you can kill supreme while praying range and Rex is gone. Just watch for prime.

Any other situations and you going to take far to much damage, and greatly increase your chance of death.

EDIT:

If you do solo Tribrid, This is what I recommend to do.

1) Go in, Kill Supreme Praying Mage.

2) Go and trap Rex on the East wall. Praying Mage, Kill Rex.

3) Kill Prime.

4) Unless you got a good drop, Ignore Supreme and Pull Rex.

5) Trap rex on the far east wall. Prime CANNOT hit you from here as long as you are the wall as far as possible. Pray mage if you feel prime is uncomfortably close.

6) Get rex to about 1/10 HP, then stop. Go up a little farther north until reach the seaweed spot. Pray mage during this as you are entering Prime's area of attack. Prime will likley be on you, and rex should still be stuck on the wall, so range prime praying.

7) Once prime is dead, finish off rex, and go kill supreme.

8) If you complete those steps before prime spawns you can complete 5-7 again without praying mage until step 6. If prime does spawn, you will need to pray mage on steps 5-7.

Wow, Ampharaos, that was a lot of information. The steps you listed were about what I expected for solo tribriding. Now, you mentioned killing only two, specifically Rex and Prime, and I used to do mage-range hybriding before -- where would I have to be to stay out of Supreme's range? As long as I stick to the side opposite the ladder, I'd think I'd be fine, I just want to make sure. Here's how I think it would work:

1) Enter, melee Supreme to death with SGS (to use for healing and prayer restore on spinolyps as well)

2) Safespot Rex and mage to death

3) Range Prime, telegrab any good drops

4) Alternate back and forth between Rex and Prime, staying in the Southeast (?) area while killing Rex.

Is that about right?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that this is a no, but if I die, is it possible to get back without someone there to bless my grave? I doubt it, but is there a way?

MischlingsSH.png

You could try using telegrab to get the loot from Prime. And then I doubt supreme would ever attack you (though you'd have to kill 1st one when you enter).

That way you could stick to prime and rex.

Edit: Didn't read all the posts :P

Oh well.. Nevermind then.

siggya.png

You could also consider killing just supreme and rex, and leaving prime on you. What I do with dagonnoth tasks is just wear full melee armour with a full slayer helmet, a whip, a blessed spirit shield, and runes for rex (I tried out balmung, but felt that whip killed at similar speed with less damage taken due to a shield, since I have to tank supreme), and pray mage constantly whilst alternating between rex and supreme. I'm not sure how effective this would be for you, since I am able to use a pack yak and overloads. I take 4 overloads, so 80 minutes of killing. That usually lasts me around 75 kills total, and since I can bank the bones/hides, I profit always and the drops are just pure profit. I don't bother with prime because he's the slowest to kill, and his ring drop is almost worthless compared to the other rings. Although I think prime's normal drops are better (the talismans primarily), I can always be killing supreme and rex on a 500 population world with barely any waiting for spawns, and prime is a major slowdown from my experience. However, the lack of overloads may make my method obsolete, as the brews would lower your stats too much, so supreme would be more of a hassle.

It's just an idea I'm throwing out there, I've found it to be pretty decent, perhaps you could find a way for it to work with a unicorn? I take an enhanced excalibur which I use whenever I overload, and 31 brews, which last me approximately 80 minutes. That'd be about 2 and a half minutes for every brew, which is around 60 hp every 2.5 minutes. I think unicorn is around that speed, or a little bit slower, and brews would cause your stats to lower too often, so I don't think my method would work out too well. You could play around with it though, I've done 5 trips so far, so still perfecting it, but I like it personally.

C_ac_t_u_a_r.png

If you're solo tri-briding you could use ice blitz for maging and whenever you're killing supreme and rex spawns, just blitz him so he's frozen. It's not fun having Rex and Supreme on you because you take a lot of damage sometimes.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

I actually tested a mage, range hybrid method today and it worked quite well. A 500 pop world was perfect for spawns, because I usually killed rex right around primes spawn time or sooner, I decided to lure rex to the safespot near prime so I could shoot prime right away, or if prime spawned while rex was still up I could pray mage as soon as he pulled, this way I knew prime would be close enough to kill and I wouldn't have to wait for him to move closer. A stopwatch to track primes spawn time was really useful. If there aren't any low pop worlds then I would recommend maging rex in his traditional safe spot, since you'll end up wasting too many prayer points if the spawns are very fast.

[hide=Primes safespot]primesafe.png

The seaweed where I'm standing is as close as you can get to pull prime, any further and you will pull supreme. This means that when waiting for spawns you should be standing on top of the seaweed, and should not attack him until he attacks you. I was playing around with some different spots and supreme gets really close to you in this spot, but I did not pull him at all. If he is pullable from the seaweed there, the real safespot should be one step north of where I am standing.[/hide]

Here is the setup I used. I only have 71 prayer and no soul wars cape or SGS, but I lasted 2 full unicorns. It might be a good idea to see if you can alter it for a 3 uni/antipoison trip since you have SGS. My door partner brought RTA so I didn't have to. I spent 1.1m worth of supplies and gained 2.2m worth of loot, my only "rare" drop being a mud battlestaff. If you have any questions feel free to ask, here or in game.

[hide=setup]prhybgear.png

prhybinv.png[/hide]

yuki2d.png

Ya mage-range is decent, I've done it a lot. I usually do duo when we can't get a third for Tri-Briding. Sometimes if ya kill Prime fast enough you can kill Supreme too, but if you get a drop then you have to kill it regardless.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Ya mage-range is decent, I've done it a lot. I usually do duo when we can't get a third for Tri-Briding. Sometimes if ya kill Prime fast enough you can kill Supreme too, but if you get a drop then you have to kill it regardless.

I brought telegrabs.

yuki2d.png

@yolink -- I was thinking of that method, but given what you said, I doubt that it would work well, if at all, for me, mainly the lack of overloads.

@toast -- I think that Ancients are a little expensive for me down there -- I'd prefer to stick to the standard spellbook.

@i_r_slayer -- I think I like this method, I'm just trying to work out a good setup. So far, this is what I have:

mi1bbb.png

(I would replace the antipoisons with + or ++, that's just what I have right now in my bank)

I don't have the level for Fire Surge, so I think Claws of Guthix is the best that I could use. I'm wondering if I should take something in place of that extra brew or if that setup would be good as it is.

MischlingsSH.png

Setup looks good. The only thing I'm worried about is your crystal bow, I used 1300 racks in 2 hours, so your crystal bow is going to give really poor range bonuses towards the end. Take out a brew or prayer potion or get someone to bring RTA if you decide to bring another one for degrades.

yuki2d.png