How to drink more water and less bad "Crap"

RSBDavid

however: this is the splitting of hairs. you haven't been able to respond to the major claims at hand the role of carbohydrates and fats.

I have some insight here, having been raised a Seventh-day Adventist. For generations, the SDA church promoted ABSOLUTE avoidance of all alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. The avoidance of caffeine extended to a ban on chocolate and colas. I think this really accounts for much of their longevity.

For years they also promoted absolute avoidance of pork and shellfish, but only recommended vegetarianism and never promoted veganism. A Seventh-day Adventist might eat beef, chicken, and finfish, and still be a member in good standing, but an SDA who began to drink coffee or alcohol or eat pork was considered apostate. No burnings at the stake, mind you , but you would find yourself on a prayer list if anyone found out. And, you could be expelled from an Adventist college if you were found to be drinking or smoking.

frm:

Nutritionism's greatest failing is that of unacknowledged imperfection: people lie, break diets, and are just generally impossible to place in groups, control or otherwise. We're not germs in petri dishes, and you can't pretend that any evidence from unscientific studies can be considered fact. There ARE studies that refute the hyperlipid hypthesis. There are also studies that show prayer works.

again, he outlines the two groups perfectly: vegetarians, and others. They have very similar behaviors, just as he outlines. if anything, that quote supports my statements. if anything, breaking diets would suggest that the vegetarians have even larger gains than 10 years added to their lifespans. you cannot deny the adventist studies and be taken seriously in a nutritonalist environment, they're that defining. you're trying to besmirch them by association because they "are studies"

if you look at more than a hundred thousand individuals (!) as the adventist studies have all done, and follow them over decades, do you really think the vegetarians are going to eat less chocolate than the others? do you think these clearly religious people are going to lie when answering questioneers and participating in interviews? These factors are also all statistically taken into account, giving a margin of error, not 10 years, 123 days 12 hours, 34 minutes and 56 seconds longer longevity: rather a median with the highest uper and lower boundries given.

the best studies, the largest studies, the most respected stuides, the studies the professionals rely on, these studies are more important than others. a study isn't a study. I'm sure we could find either a reasonable explanation for why prayer works (placebo effect) or a professional could find faults with the studies, the analysis or the conclusions drawn. It's a science, not a guessing game.

my comment on the major points not being addressed by you still stands. do you refute the logic and evidence i've provided? do you choose to ignore it? or the third alternative (the unlikely one) changing your opinion based on new scientific evidence presented to you?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

however: this is the splitting of hairs. you haven't been able to respond to the major claims at hand the role of carbohydrates and fats.

I have some insight here, having been raised a Seventh-day Adventist. For generations, the SDA church promoted ABSOLUTE avoidance of all alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. The avoidance of caffeine extended to a ban on chocolate and colas. I think this really accounts for much of their longevity.

For years they also promoted absolute avoidance of pork and shellfish, but only recommended vegetarianism and never promoted veganism. A Seventh-day Adventist might eat beef, chicken, and finfish, and still be a member in good standing, but an SDA who began to drink coffee or alcohol or eat pork was considered apostate. No burnings at the stake, mind you , but you would find yourself on a prayer list if anyone found out. And, you could be expelled from an Adventist college if you were found to be drinking or smoking.

frm:

Nutritionism's greatest failing is that of unacknowledged imperfection: people lie, break diets, and are just generally impossible to place in groups, control or otherwise. We're not germs in petri dishes, and you can't pretend that any evidence from unscientific studies can be considered fact. There ARE studies that refute the hyperlipid hypthesis. There are also studies that show prayer works.

again, he outlines the two groups perfectly: vegetarians, and others. They have very similar behaviors, just as he outlines. if anything, that quote supports my statements. if anything, breaking diets would suggest that the vegetarians have even larger gains than 10 years added to their lifespans. you cannot deny the adventist studies and be taken seriously in a nutritonalist environment, they're that defining. you're trying to besmirch them by association because they "are studies"

if you look at more than a hundred thousand individuals (!) as the adventist studies have all done, and follow them over decades, do you really think the vegetarians are going to eat less chocolate than the others? do you think these clearly religious people are going to lie when answering questioneers and participating in interviews? These factors are also all statistically taken into account, giving a margin of error, not 10 years, 123 days 12 hours, 34 minutes and 56 seconds longer longevity: rather a median with the highest uper and lower boundries given.

the best studies, the largest studies, the most respected stuides, the studies the professionals rely on, these studies are more important than others. a study isn't a study. I'm sure we could find either a reasonable explanation for why prayer works (placebo effect) or a professional could find faults with the studies, the analysis or the conclusions drawn. It's a science, not a guessing game.

my comment on the major points not being addressed by you still stands. do you refute the logic and evidence i've provided? do you choose to ignore it? or the third alternative (the unlikely one) changing your opinion based on new scientific evidence presented to you?

My opinion hasn't been altered in about a year and a half now. If you can examine the COMPLETE studies, not just bits and pieces, and still argue the same old lines against the hyperlipid hypothesis, then I really don't know where to go next.

The "proof" they offer is no more evidence than it is comprehensive. It's bad science supported by bizzare twists of logic, and all swallowed whole by mainstream medicine since post-WWII.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Can we all agree that there is at least a degree of individuality in the way our bodies responds to things?

I eat bacon, dark meat chicken, ground beef, etc all the time and don't ever have problems with it. But when it comes to carbs, even if I eat too much FRUIT I will put on too much fat. Let alone things like pastries...

But my sister is completely different. She eats tons of fruits and white breads and never has a problem with it. But if she eats some of the higher-fat things that I do, she tends to add weight.

Everybody's body is different, to some extent. The best thing to do is really just play around trying different diets until you find the one that leaves you feeling the healthiest.

People's definition of "healthy" varies just far too much. I would be fine with just leaving people on their own, but I live in Canada: I'll be paying through the nose every single time someone decides to buy a "low-fat" alternative, or to choose the Western Diet over others.

But you have to agree that there are people out there who HAVE had sucess on these things. Case in point, my sister. She doesn't really even LIKE meat very much. Much less fatty meat like a cheeseburger or bacon. And she is skinny; thin enough to see muscular definition in many places on her body. It isn't because certain foods work for every person, its because she tried the atkins diet, failed, and then went on her own diet and listened to her body, which craves buttloads of grains, fruits, and veggies.

I mean, I'm not really sure what you are trying to say exactly? Are you saying that "low fat" products will never help anyone lose weight? I think that is false for sure. The only reason they are so popular is that they work for many people.

Are you saying that "low fat" isnt right for EVERYBODY? I would agree with that. Are you saying it isnt right for MOST people? I'd also probably agree. But to ignore low fat (or low-er fat) diets is silly because there is just so much sucess with them.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I'm a water person myself... I only drink water, except for when i'm out somewhere like the movies or at a party. I used to LOVE soda (5+ cans a day) but I switched over to water. As far as the weight gain issue goes... if you switch to only drinking water you'll probably start losing weight within a few weeks. Trust me, stick to water. Saying that you rely on somthing is a good excuse when most of the time you'd be fine without it. I stopped drinking all the sugar filled cans of crap called energy drinks that I once "needed" but in reality I just liked them a lot.

Can we all agree that there is at least a degree of individuality in the way our bodies responds to things?

I eat bacon, dark meat chicken, ground beef, etc all the time and don't ever have problems with it. But when it comes to carbs, even if I eat too much FRUIT I will put on too much fat. Let alone things like pastries...

But my sister is completely different. She eats tons of fruits and white breads and never has a problem with it. But if she eats some of the higher-fat things that I do, she tends to add weight.

Everybody's body is different, to some extent. The best thing to do is really just play around trying different diets until you find the one that leaves you feeling the healthiest.

People's definition of "healthy" varies just far too much. I would be fine with just leaving people on their own, but I live in Canada: I'll be paying through the nose every single time someone decides to buy a "low-fat" alternative, or to choose the Western Diet over others.

But you have to agree that there are people out there who HAVE had sucess on these things. Case in point, my sister. She doesn't really even LIKE meat very much. Much less fatty meat like a cheeseburger or bacon. And she is skinny; thin enough to see muscular definition in many places on her body. It isn't because certain foods work for every person, its because she tried the atkins diet, failed, and then went on her own diet and listened to her body, which craves buttloads of grains, fruits, and veggies.

I mean, I'm not really sure what you are trying to say exactly? Are you saying that "low fat" products will never help anyone lose weight? I think that is false for sure. The only reason they are so popular is that they work for many people.

Are you saying that "low fat" isnt right for EVERYBODY? I would agree with that. Are you saying it isnt right for MOST people? I'd also probably agree. But to ignore low fat (or low-er fat) diets is silly because there is just so much sucess with them.

Skinny is not healthy.

Case in point, my 83 year old grandmother (no genetic relation) who eats little but T.V. dinners, sugar, and cookies. Literally, at least 50% of her diet is sugar and starch, with a little sodium thrown in for variety. And yet she's not at all overweight.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Try the strawberry-kiwi vitamin water if you haven't. I don't drink soda, but I do drink this (alongside a ton of water, and orange juice with added calcium). I can't seem to drink milk unless it's skimmed.. although I do go for a lot of dairy products just the same. Yogurt has no chance surviving long around me.

I would suggest simply not buying the soda pop, and hell go for the bottled water. Nothing is worse than putrid tasting water, or city water with all the added chlorine. If you have to boil your water, then it's not going to be of any interest to you anyways. Teas, however, are a great choice. There are some great shops if you go into the cities for organic teas, such as "Farm Kids". You'll also find a large variance of other organic products here. I live 120kms from the nearest city, and 30kms from town so I understand where you're coming from in that respect. Although, living by a lake and with a clean well our water doesn't need to be boiled. I can't imagine the hellish experience that would be.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png