Herblore

llVIU

It's been around a year since I last played, I heard about the non-tradable potions in herblore, but I'm interested on how people train herblore these days. Back when I leveled, I used to make unfinished guthix restores and serum 207 which gave around 2 exp per gp, it was the most economic way I knew, but the prices changed now. Closest thing to that was making prayer potions or such, prices differ each time so it wasn't very stable.

"stews"=?

Stews are from RFD. Use your cat to collect brown spice and mix 3 doses of it into a stew. Once you eat it, you have a chance to boost your herblore. The goal is to boost to 96 so that you can make overloads. You should make like 500 or so of each extreme, and then turn those into overloads via stewing. I have been working on my 2.2k overloads - only 1300 to go now. If you have no desire to make overloads (which is rediculous), you could make spec restores. They are relatively cheap to make, and provide very fast exp. If you want to stew, there are a few things to note:

You should drink a regular attack pot (for example), and start a timer when it reduces 1 level. That is going to set your timeframe. I use swiftkit btw, so its easy to see the time. Once you know when your stats will reduce, you can start figuring out your stews. Start by mixing in 3 doses of brown spice, then drink the stew. If it gets you the boost you need (96 or higher), start making overloads until xx:55 (on your timer). Logout once it gets close to 1 minute. Log back in and your boost should remain if you have done it right. Keep making overloads and logging out before a minute expires. I have assigned a double click button on my mouse, so i just line up my extremes and torstols in a row, and double-double click each item to withdraw. I can usually make about 12 per minute.

Geesch.png

Geesch.png

Thanks but I won't need stews if I'd make those potions, and I wouldn't make them because I don't see myself using more than 100 of thoes within the next 10 years. I would pretty much waste 200m on pots that would just sit in my bank.

and besides, ~200 gp on each ~6 exp seems a bit expensive compared to the 1 gp on each 2 exp I was getting.

I'm sure there are some obscure methods like in a minigame somewhere, just as obscure as the ones I was using

Unfortunately the only inexpensive way to level your herblore now is to either gather herbs yourself or clean herbs for exp.

If you want to gather your own, your best plan would be to plant herb seeds in all 5 patches, checking every time they're fully grown, use your kingdom to gather herbs for you, and spend the rest of your time killing a monster with a high drop rate for herbs, like abby spectres.

Cleaning herbs can actually make you a profit, but it's extremely tedious and if you don't use mousekeys you'll probably end up with carpal tunnel.

Either method is going to be painfully slow exp at your level, though, so it's up to you to decide if you'd rather save money or time.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

Thanks but I won't need stews if I'd make those potions, and I wouldn't make them because I don't see myself using more than 100 of thoes within the next 10 years. I would pretty much waste 200m on pots that would just sit in my bank.

and besides, ~200 gp on each ~6 exp seems a bit expensive compared to the 1 gp on each 2 exp I was getting.

I'm sure there are some obscure methods like in a minigame somewhere, just as obscure as the ones I was using

There really are no free lunches when it comes to Herblore.

If it's fast and easy, it's not cheap.

If it's fast and cheap, it's not easy.

If it's easy and cheap, it's not fast.

On my site I have an optimization guide that assesses all of the possible methods based on current prices; here's the level 85 activity index. This includes obscure methods like cleaning herbs, making herb tars, making Barbarian potions, etc. It also tries to take into account the value of untradeable potions.

Which activity you should do depends on how much you value your time, thus the four columns reflecting opportunity costs of 100k, 250k, 500k and 1M per hour. It also depends on what you like doing and how much clicking you can tolerate.

Good luck...

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

With extremes/ovl now, there's no way you'll get reasonable exp rates for 1-2gp/exp. Cleaning herbs is not reasonable. Nor is it fun. If you want to clean herbs from 92-99, then go ahead and kill your wrists. Otherwise just spend the 200M and save yourself some time and pain.