My New Computer

Deathmath

Well, after a couple years talking about upgrading from my 2.7ghz Pentum 4 Celeron oven computer, I have done it. :D

I have pictures of the assembly which I'll share, and I'll talk about the pitfalls, but for now I'll just post my impressions and the specifications.

I finally got this computer for StarCraft 2, and I must say, it's one nice rig

Processor AMD Phenom II 955 (3.2ghz OC'd to 3.4ghzX4)

RAM (4gb 1667 Ripjaws DDR3)

Mobo: MSI 870 G54

GPU: MSI Nvidia geforce 250 1gb (only a 1440*900 monitor, so it's powerful enough)

ASUS DVD burner

Samsung F3 1tb hd

Corsair tx650W PSU (It was on sale, no need for 650W)

Antec 300 Illusion Case

Cost: $705USD after rebates and tax

First Impressions:

Although I don't own many newer games, and by the time I assembled it StarCraft 2 was out of beta, I'm very impressed. This computer easily maxes out every single game I have (not saying much) but didn't cost that much. Also, I installed gentoo to learn more about linux, and it's compiling speeds were insane. Also, ironically, the lag I attributed to a poor internet connection in runescape was resolved, even though I'm using the same wireless card. I think the computer was having trouble rendering runescape... Anyways, I'll post back with pictures and more thoughts tomorrow. :D (Oh, and the stupid pitfalls the motherboard put me through)

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

What are the specs on the HD?

Lately my builds have been hanging because I'm still using traditional 7200 hds, I don't want to shell out the money for a velociraptor, and I don't want to shell out for a SSD.

My latest one is using the antec 300 case as well, what do you think about it? I wish it had 2 more usb ports on the faceplate.

newsigh.jpg

Well, since they added to HD cache, they're faster even if they still go at 7200 rpm. My new 1TB with 32MB cache is faster than the old 750GB I have that has 16MB cache, and I see the difference in speed. Still is much faster to use an SSD, but with traditionnal HDs you just get what you want.

• 4 months later...