Maleficus1055's Top 30 album suggestions

Maleficus1055

For information on this topic, please see the stickied thread at the top of this board. We haven't had one of these in quite some time so i'm sure people have forgotten what they're all about.

Hopefully this will jumpstart some things back into gear, the concept of making these lists died out as no one posted them. However, please remember to not swamp the board with them as thats how it got out of hand in the first place, random people started making them pop up everywhere. Limit it to about 1 list made per week so people can appreciate the list before a new one comes up.

And yes, I already made a list before, but i'm trying to help start things back up, so I made a new reprised version of my previous list. Looking back on that one, it had a lot of bad choices, and I feel this is a much better list considering my tastes have changed. Enjoy.

*This list is in no order by number, just alphabetical*

[hide= The Albums]

American Head Charge The Feeding

the20feeding.jpg

American Head Charge is an industrial metal band who released two studio albums. The Feeding, the second album, is a great album, it's very angry and very fun. It's a shame that their guitarist OD'd and they're on a permanent hiatus.

Anaal Nathrakh Eschaton

eschaton.jpg

Anaal Nathrakh is an extreme metal band formed by two members. V.I.T.R.I.O.L. does the vocals, and Mick Kenney writes all of the music. Their music is full of apocalyptic and misanthropic themes, though they do not publish any of their lyrics. I've yet to hear any band that comes close to their sound, they're the most intense band I've heard, and I love them.

Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavilion

merriweatherpostpavilio.jpg

I would describe Animal Collective as summer music. This is the kind of album I would have playing during a backyard pool party. It's psychedelic and fun, a great "Psychadelic pop" album. Iwould highly recommend giving this one a listen.

The Antlers Hospice

theantlershospice.jpg

I was introduced to this album about 2 weeks or so ago. It's a concept album, the story is about a man who falls in love with a patient at a hospital, but she dies on him. It's a quiet, yet moving album. Definitely not one to skip any songs on.

Ayreon 01011001

01011001.jpg

Ayreon is a progressive rock project created by Arjen Anthony Lucassen. Every album he makes is a rock opera, with different "voice actors" (vocalists) playing parts of different characters. Arjen wrties the music and lyrics, plays instruments, and sings on all the albums himself as well. 01011001 contains 17 vocalists and is tied into the plotline of his previous albums. It's a fantastic musical journey, and one of the best albums I've listened to.

Between the Buried and Me Colors

btbamcolors.jpg

Colors is a progressive metal album that contains everything from heavy blast beats to jazz interludes, and even a hoedown on Ants of the Sky. Colors is best listened to as an album, it all combines to form one very long song, and it manages to always remain exciting. A great choice.

Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor

cattledecapitationtheha.jpg

Cattle Decapitation is described as a "deathgrind" band. Think of it as what you will, I stopped caring about genres a long time ago. What I do care about is how awesome this album is. It's one of the most technically advanced albums I've ever heard. The guitars and drums are faster than I would think humanly possible at times, and I love it.

Cynic - Traced in Air

cynictracedinair.jpg

Cynic is a progressive metal band, and Traced in Air is an easily accessible album. It features a lot of clean vocals alongside the death metal growls. Regardless of vocals, it's a great piece of music and one I'd recommend to anyone.

Cobalt Gin

219904.jpg

While I stopped listening to most black metal, I still really enjoy this album. It's very clean in sound quality and features some acoustic guitars at times.

Darkthrone F.O.A.D.

foad.jpg

Darkthrone's later albums I guess can be described as Crust Punk influenced. They sound dirty on this album, and so do the songs. They used to play black metal, but with the more recent releases shifted towards a punk and speed metal style.

Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity

0006615fallingintoinfin.jpg

Throughout my liking of Dream Theater, I always sort of shunned this album. It's quite different from their previous releases, hell they even changed the font for this one. But after giving it a few good listens, it started to grow on me and quickly became my favorite. It's a much more groovy and pop-influenced album than their other releases.

Electric Wizard Dopethrone

dopethronef.jpg

"Hey guys, how low can we tune our guitars?" Electric Wizard is HEAVY. And by heavy, I mean melt your face off heavy. This stoner metal album is awesome.

Fall of Efrafa Elil

fallr.png

Elil is definitely not the easiest album to get into. It contains 3 songs, all of which are 20 minutes+. Fall of Efrafa is a band that throughout their discography narrates the story of Watership Down, inserting samples from the audiobooks. Once you get into this album, it's fantastic.

Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

gojira2020the20way20of2.jpg

Gojira is a French technical death metal band. This album features probably my favorite song of theirs, The Art of Dying. That song is enough for me to put this on here. It starts of with just some clanging drumsticks and slowly builds into a blasting song. I just love it.

Ihsahn After

ihsahnaftercover.jpg

After is a very recent (2010) release from the solo project of Ihsahn, a member of Emperor. After is a slow, dark black metal album. So what makes that so special, right? Theres plenty of those. Well After features a tenor sax playing along, fiddling around in most of its songs, and being a sax player myself, I fell in love with this album.

Justice

justicecross.jpg

is an electronic music album. I really don't know too much about electronic music, so I'm not sure where to go with this. But I really like this album.

King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King

clanokfoto.jpg

I love this album so damn much. There isn't a single bad track on the album (Moonchild is iffy, but ok). It's progressive rock at it's finest. One of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Krzystof Penderecki - Penderecki: Orchestral Works Vol. 1

51ngrfcdcmlsl500aa300.jpg

Now I'm no classical expert either, but this is a great piece of work. Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima is the standout to me here. It's the most haunting, eery piece of music I've heard in my life.

maudlin of the Well Part the Second

200pxmaudlinofthewellpa.jpg

motW does loud, heavy, metal stuff badly. But they do quiet, nice songs very well and this album is full of them. Part the Second is motW's final release and a worthy end to the band. Interestingly enough, this album was entirely fan-funded, and the band released it to the public for free on their website.

My Bloody Valentine Loveless

mybloodyvalentinelovele.jpg

Loveless is a shoegaze album, and its fantastic. Its loud and distorted and sounds great all at once. Not too much to say here, just give it a listen.

Neutral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

albumneutralmilkhotelin.jpg

ITAOTS is widely regarded as one of the best albums. It received 10/10s from nearly every distinguished music reviewing company. It is also, however, used to troll /mu/ constantly, so lots of people are pretty annoyed with it. It's still a fantastic album, my personal favorite song is the title track.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

opethghostreveries.jpg

IIRC, my last list's favorite Opeth album was Watershed, or Damnation. One of the two. Times have changed, and I really started to listen to Ghost Reveries and appreciate it more. This was a tough pick over Backwater Park, but I just enjoy this one more in comparison.

Orange Goblin - Coup de Grace

coupc.jpg

Orange Goblin is a doom metal turned stoner punk band. They're loud, rambunctious, and don't give a rat's ass. This is some damn fun music to listen to.

Pain of Salvation - Be

cover186212582004.jpg

Pain of Salvation is a band I heard a lot about but always dismissed and never took the time to listen to. I'm kind of sad I didn't start listening sooner, I love this band now. Every album they release is a concept album, and Be is my personal favorite. All of the songs are very down-to-earth and real. This album features some very beautiful music.

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

dark20side20of20the20mo.jpg

No, I'm not going to write anything here. You should have already heard this album. If you haven't, go listen to it.

Primordial To the Nameless Dead

primordialnamelessdeadc.jpg

I really don't find Primordial to be anything too special music-wise, but the vocals are what gets me. The vocalist puts such emotion and power into his voice, I just love it.

Rage Against the Machine self-titled

ragecover.jpg

Maybe I'm just getting lazy near the end of my list, but really, this is another album most people have or already should have listened to. Meh, whatever, just go listen to it, it's worth your time.

Stormtrooper - Presents Brainstorm

stormtrooperpresentsbra.jpg

Stormtrooper is hard to describe, because this type of music all gets muddled together. Hardcore, Darkcore, Speedcore, Terrorcore, Hardstyle, Gabber, whatever you want to call it. I came across Stormtrooper on last.fm, he has a song entitled No One Gets Me Alive, which is a hardcore (not the metal kind) remix of Muse's Knights of Cydonia. I was hooked and wanted more, so I downloaded his album, and it's probably my favorite album to just blast when driving down the road with some friends.

Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between

streetlight.jpg

Streetlight is a ska-punk band I was recently introduced to on a friend's suggestion. They really grew on me, its some fun music. I enjoyed this album more than their first, even though the first seems to be liked better by more. But to each his own, I suppose.

Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

eb38459b1765291b.jpg

I heard this album not too long ago, and fell in love with it. There isn't really too much to say here, its just a great album you should try out.

[/hide]

[hide= SHAMELESS ADVERTISING PLUG GOES HERE]

Hi there. A friend of mine is making some music under the project name Purged and I would appreciate it very much if you could listen to some of his work and give feedback (YouTube comments).

http://www.youtube.c...er/greatalien82

http://www.myspace.com/purgedband

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click here.

[/hide]

Thank you for posting a list.

Choices on your list that I'm familiar with I happen to be very fond of (BTBAM, Justice, MBV, Rage). All the other stuff I haven't really heard of except a couple obvious ones.

I'm so glad someone started this up again!

Very interesting list, you have a number of artists on there that I'm quite a big fan of (Anaal Nathrakh, Primordial, Neutral Milk Hotel, Fall of Efrafa). Also really excited to see Penderecki on there. He's a fantastic composer, and I've just started playing his Violin Sonata No. 1; it's lots of fun.

I'll certainly be checking out the artists on there I don't know.

Cool.

This list gets my approval :thumbup:

It's interesting how you have a majority metal theme, with some punk and even techno thrown in there. I'm the same way, but my metal bands are a littel less death core, and my punk is a little more ska. Stormtrooper is spot on though :P

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

This list gets my approval :thumbup:

It's interesting how you have a majority metal theme, with some punk and even techno thrown in there. I'm the same way, but my metal bands are a littel less death core, and my punk is a little more ska. Stormtrooper is spot on though :P

Haha I really just love Stormtrooper ever since I first heard his stuff, it pretty much got me into speedcore.