Herb Farming

Eyebeam

Hi, upon returning from RS after a 2 month break, during my herb farming runs I began noticing that in almost every other run at least one of my herbs will die. Previously, such an occurrence was quite rare (well at least for me).

Does anyone have any explanations for this? Did Jagex update anything while I was away?

Btw, I farm toadflaxes and use super compost and my farming level is 86.

v7hblz.jpg

#3325 to 99 Smithing #4332 to 99 Herblore

The chance of death with super compost is roughly 10% and even if it may seem higher at times, it always averages out in the end. As you are doing toadflaxes, deaths shouldn't be a major concern to you, but if you move up to something more dear it'd be smart to get yourself the scroll of live to compensate for the deaths(it makes back around 9,4% of the seeds for torstol). Also, as you are getting into the higher farming levels i would strongly suggest doing higher level herbs to finish off those last levels, daily torstols make for around 100k farming xp a day, 3m a month.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I presume It's all down to chance. You're just going through a patch of bad luck at the moment.

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

Hmm... interesting.. I didn't know that higher level herbs can yield such a large amount of xp in a day. :o

That's because it's a bit of an exaggeration. Assuming all five patches survive and yield seven herbs each time, you get 8875 xp per run. Now, if we further assume that your herbs grow exactly in 75 minutes, and you arrive at precisely 75 minute intervals at each one and plant your next seed instantaneously, it would require 11.2 herbs runs per day over a period 14 hours to get said 100k xp. Maybe some people can do that, but I wouldn't throw that figure around as what you get each day.

EDIT: This is all with Torstol

mythrandir.png

Hmm... interesting.. I didn't know that higher level herbs can yield such a large amount of xp in a day. :o

That's because it's a bit of an exaggeration. Assuming all five patches survive and yield seven herbs each time, you get 8875 xp per run. Now, if we further assume that your herbs grow exactly in 75 minutes, and you arrive at precisely 75 minute intervals at each one and plant your next seed instantaneously, it would require 11.2 herbs runs per day over a period 14 hours to get said 100k xp. Maybe some people can do that, but I wouldn't throw that figure around as what you get each day.

A herb run takes 5 minutes(estimated max). If you are awake for 14 hours a day and are organized enough it's easily possible, infact, you don't even have to play more than an hour of runescape a day to achieve the figure.

A herb run takes 5 minutes(estimated max). If you are awake for 14 hours a day and are organized enough it's easily possible, infact, you don't even have to play more than an hour of runescape a day to achieve the figure.

You just have to be at a computer every 75-90 minutes. ;)

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

You just have to be at a computer every 75-90 minutes. ;)

At this day and age, not necessarily a computer as such, most public places have wifi nowadays.

Yeah it's just the luck of the draw. Jagex hasn't updated in the farming besides the fairytale quests for a long long time. And it really needs an update! With 99 farming I do toadflax or kwuarm and more often than not have one patch dead.

Jagex decides how skills work. If they decide farming level effects your average yield instead of the number of deaths, what's wrong with that? The number of herbs per seed would likely be the same for the opposite scenario, and the skill would efficiently be the same.

Also, scroll of life was a major update to the skill.