Managing Quality

Danny_TeamDan

If your clan does take in new clanners what do you do to ensure that they become a quality member?

We put ourselves in a position to teach new players to the clanning world to make a smooth transition into it.

At what point do you give up on trying to teach new clanners and just let them fail/quit/get kicked?

Effort is the key. We have taught plenty of new clanners. What is harder is when they are computer inept and do not know how to work forums/irc/runescape in general..... thats where you realize that some people are just not meant for clanning in general.

Do you focus on improving the quality of your current member base to allow some leeway on newer clanners?

New clanners tend to actually stick around more than people who have been in multiple clans. Once you leave 1 clan its easier to leave the next and the next and the next. When someone has only experienced one then they are more likely to put that effort into your clan only. We work on improving every member any way they can and we try to make an environment in which members feel like they can ask questions.

flamesig.jpg

I'll throw in my major question since everyone seems to be united on the questions already asked.

It's funny how when, if you're telling people what they should do with their clan, it's always: maintaining quality. Yet what's the #1 pitfall that every clan experiences at least once (and usually multiple times) in their existence? It's everything detailed in this topic. So why is it that although this is the biggest known peril yet the hardest to avoid? Even Solace, when people spoke of us poised to hit the Top 10 (which we are nowhere near anymore becaus of this), tried to avoid it. But we still messed it up, even though we limited our applications and tried to screen quality. Is it the changing quality of members, to no longer stick with clans through thick and thin, or just something you can't properly avoid until you've experienced the pain of the lesson? I don't get it, and I'd love it if someone enlightened me.

Judging by all of the replies here you all seem to know (or think you do), why this is unavoidable?

hzvjpwS.gif

We have dealt with it a great deal. Biggest incident in recent memory was la hire. Now we are strict and we back up what we say. No mulitclanning for 1 in any way. No crashing. No bs. I personally come down on it hard. I dislike manipulation for personal gain and call it out. Although I am known for my blunt nature it has come to be accepted as something that helps us in the long run. New members of our clan sometimes try to get us to change these rules so we grow faster and to be more lenient on some things but it just isn't worth it for the instant gratification. We have hopefully learned from our past mistakes so that we allow in more quality than lack of it

flamesig.jpg

Ninane - I don't think it's possible for a clan to break into the Top 10 anymore. CR managed it, but as recent events have shown, their momentum has gone and they're back outside. It is only possible to assume you've guaranteed Top 10 (in the medium term) if you manage to break through, peak, slump, and still remain within its ranks. Despite having plenty of applications, full of dedicated recruits, there is usually a loss of members over time, even if they were great members. We can cut inactives one month then someone who was previously active will end up going inactive; a lovely, brutal cycle.

To raise up the ranks thesedays, you simply need to be able to maintain your memberlist for an indefinite time period. This won't get you Top 10 since that requires a huge leap in numbers, but will be able to get you to the top of the bracket below. If you look at Gladz, our memberlist is nearly at its lowest in as far as I can remember (our lowest being 57 members). We simply have risen out of obscurity - which we were in several months ago - to some form of relevance by being able to maintain our memberlist as other clans dwindled.

Cynical, but true.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Quality over Quantity, but you need numbers to push your way up in the Clan World. We have recruited a lot of people who have never had any experience and nurtured them pretty well, but I agree with the post above - it's a cycle. Especially for a small clan like us. Gain recruit, help them gain experience, then recruit wants a new challenge and leaves.

Genesis Leader

Ending Templar & Trial Caller of The Rising

Ex-Leader of Silent Ember - Ex-Leader of True Ownage - Ex-Leader of Legendz

Former Tip.It Clan Community Leader

With the clan world "Smaller" than before do you focus on quality recruits or teaching members how to become quality members?

- When you say "quality" recruits, it's hard to interpret. What qualities would I look for in a potential recruit? Well really, just a sense of honour and fair play. They could know nothing about our PvP aspects, but I wouldn't disregard them for that. And we have had quite a few recent applicants who aren't really familiar with clanning, but we do our best. So I'd say our focus is on the teaching.

Is the quality most clans seek slowing down the growth of the clan world, or could it even be a contributing factor to less people clanning?

- Well, like you said, there are many possible reasons of the diminishing clan world. Looking at it from that point of view, I see the logic, and I'd have to agree with it. Because of the changes that have been hammered upon the game in the past three years, the clans have started to really diverse. I even remember seeing a topic on the forums about someone starting up a bot-slaying clan. So there are MORE varied types of clans, and they're starting to really excel at what they're doing. Now, I don't know about other clans like skilling-based, and whether they teach or seek. But in PvP, it's all "seek". The top clans seek out the best members, they become great, what few quality clanners are left behind join them, amateur ones join other syndicates like CCs, and we end up with something like this:

gapdl.png

If your clan does take in new clanners what do you do to ensure that they become a quality member?

- WildGuard has a simplistic yet thorough application process. Even before they apply, they're free to attend public events (The only events we host which are NOT public are raids/PKs and wars. Everything else is open to guests) and have the experience with us. The introduction and application sections are to get the member involved in the community as well as familiar with our forums. The trial process is to not just allow them to prove their activity, but to get used to the style of WG. We even assign personal mentors (I myself have four mentees at the moment) to help them with their needs. We have gear requirements to ensure they're well-prepared, and they must attend a number of official (private) events before graduating. While it seems complicated, it's really a piece of cake. My app and trial was a breeze.

At what point do you give up on trying to teach new clanners and just let them fail/quit/get kicked?

- When all forms of communication with them cease. If they don't WANT to join WG, we can't force them, but as long as they're trying to, we give our best to help them. I had no P2P experience and didn't meet our gear reqs when I applied. Infact, looking back I was more of a hinderance to them than anything else. But I wanted to be WG more than anything else, and they helped me to do that and never gave up on me. I'm proud to say WG has made me who I am, in RS and as a person.

Do you focus on improving the quality of your current member base to allow some leeway on newer clanners?

- We try to. We're also looking for ways to expand, and different directions rather than just upwards. But it's very difficult to try and get into that gap. There's only so much a clan can do in the middle class, before they have to take on one of the bigger names. And that today is a really huge step.