Is this laptop good?

nickeley102

I move to London very soon

I need a laptop to keep in touch with people (skype and facebook) which is also portable because I'll be traveling around a lot. Please let me know if this suits, I dont know much but I would be concerned about having 1gb of RAM and running windows 7 and possibly office.

I would also like to buy and play starcraft 2 but this is not essential

Thanks for your help

with link: http://firstin.co.nz/products/asus-1005pe-8-hour-windows-7-netbook-3366/

NICKELEY102.png

Yeah 1gb of ram is nothing these days, 2gb is pretty much the standard.

Also that has windows 7 Starter installed; which is pure aweful. It's jsut like a "demo" to tempt you into buying full windows. Make sure you buy one with a full OS you can get them from around the same price.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Another option if you didn't need the laptop during the first few days of you move is to wait, then once you're in London go to Tottenham Court Road as there are loads of electrical shops there and you can pick up a new or refurbished laptop rather cheaply. You can always order something online after you've checked out the shops if you don't find anything.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Personally, I hate ASUS. They're a righteous pain in the arse to fix. I would go for a Toshiba brand, they're very good quality and IF you have the money, think about Sony VAIO, they are excellent.

Usually they won't even need to fix, and I have done maintenance on some Asus laptop (mostly to clear dust) and they're pretty easy to service when it comes to removing the dust in the fan, which surprisingly doesn't accumulate at all, changing a ram stick (I upgraded my own Asus laptop) or even with the hard drive.

Yeah 1gb of ram is nothing these days, 2gb is pretty much the standard.Also that has windows 7 Starter installed; which is pure aweful. It's jsut like a "demo" to tempt you into buying full windows. Make sure you buy one with a full OS you can get them from around the same price.

2GB is still nothing these days, the standard as I see it right now is 4GB, we're even starting to see laptops with 8GB in stores now.

I would go for an Asus laptop if you are to go with one. It will last you long and you shouldn't have trouble at all with it.

Edit: Oops just saw it's a netbook and not a notebook that he wants.

Edited by Sbrideau

Another option if you didn't need the laptop during the first few days of you move is to wait, then once you're in London go to Tottenham Court Road as there are loads of electrical shops there and you can pick up a new or refurbished laptop rather cheaply. You can always order something online after you've checked out the shops if you don't find anything.

Ill do this

Cheers guys

NICKELEY102.png

I'll be traveling around a lot.

Personally, I might save up for a Desktop instead of a Laptop. Brighter, etc. Only downside being that I can't bring a computer to school...

#-o

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

You could order online, but you could also go to a computer center/high street shop and they sometimes sell refurbished laptops which are used, but have been completely redone by the manufacturer so they are good as new and quite a bit cheaper. They'll be able to help you choose too.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche