PSP2

Nadril

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/sony-unveils-next-generation-portable-in-japan/2875/

1693022-photo1_super.jpg

Two analog sticks, a touch screen, a touch-sensitive back, two cameras, tilt controls... just about everything we've heard lately about Sony's next portable gaming platform has turned out to be true according to reports from the PlayStation Meeting 2011, which took place in Japan on Thursday afternoon, according to their crazy, futuristic clocks.

As expected, Sony is touting the platform's power, claiming that it's as powerful as the PlayStation 3. Also, Sony isn't referring to it as the PSP2. Rather, they're simply calling it by the non-final name of "Next Generation Portable." Well, anything that reminds me of the Neo Geo Pocket can't be all bad, I guess.

Games from big Sony franchises like Uncharted, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, and Resistance have been confirmed to appear on the platform, and Hideo Kojima was on hand to show off a brief, Metal Gear-related trailer. Epic's Tim Sweeney took the stage to show a live demo of the Unreal Engine running on the platform, and Activision's Phillip Earl announced an unnamed Call of Duty game for the device.

specs:

Here are the specs: 

ARM® Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
SGX543MP4+
182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Rear touch pad	Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Front camera, Rear camera
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches	PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless
communications	Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

So yeah, they're claiming it is as powerful as the ps3. I mean they demoed MGS4 on it. Again it seems like Sony is doing a more tech handheld and Nintendo is doing their thing. Curious to see who will come out on top this time.

Kotaku has some video of the demo of MGS4 I think, let me see if I can find it.

Either way, I still doubt it'll be able to do as well as the 3DS from a sales perspective, depending on the price tag.. The PSP took a long time to get going for instance. Still, awesome specs. Now if we can play PS2 games on it... :D

And two joysticks? Day one buy.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

If it does what they claim they do, then it's a very impressive piece of tecnology, but i also think that it'll make it quite... expensive.

I say it's success will be dependent on it's price entirely, over 400 and it'll bomb like no other.

A bit on the side, on the whole NGP thing, am I the only one to find it quite ironic that the NGP is the second next gen portable? :lol:

That looks absolutely sick. What demo said, they should price it very competitively (not as much as 3DS though, they still need a profit). It looks like a drastic improvemet over the PSP 2000, which I've got and never use. Are they ditching the UMD disks in favour of chips or downloads? Hope so, they were a pain to carry around. Hope the screen is good, the PSP2000's was a little disappointing.

3G and touchscreen sounds ownage. Just add a phone in there, and you're sorted!

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I was just looking at it over on Engadget and it looks amazing, enough to even create a new interest for me in portable gaming for me. I'd be willing to to spend upwards of $350 for the new PSP. My only concern and something I've yet to seen mentioned is of it's battery life.

tFtfA.jpg

Saw the demo videos and was ecstatic when it was first demoed a couple of days ago...getting it on day one if the game lineup's any good.

I'm just flabberghasted at the many features this device contains.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

I.....love you Sony. Seriously this is the first time I could love a developer. Its just so beautiful! My main points are whats the price, can it run the PSP games (Id assume so) and how easily customizable will it be. I love customizations :3

Popoto.~<3

I.....love you Sony. Seriously this is the first time I could love a developer. Its just so beautiful! My main points are whats the price, can it run the PSP games (Id assume so) and how easily customizable will it be. I love customizations :3

It's not going to run UMD disks so... who knows about that.

It's not going to run UMD disks so... who knows about that.

Instead:

"NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

So it's now using Flash memory, and this article also says this:

Sony says the new PlayStation Portable will also play PSone games supported via its PlayStation Suite platform and will be backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games. To demonstrate this, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demoed Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP on a NGP.

So UMD's will probably need an ISO instead.

The NGP sounds good, I'm just nervous about the gaming lineup at the moment. At least it will play legacy games and Downloaded PSP games...

Quick edit: Forgot the article link.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)