Ge issues

Estoc

Recently I wanted to try smithing dragon plates for a bit of profit. I bought 15 lumps and shards instantly about 100k under med price, but slices won't buy over double their price. Normally I'd attribute it to some kind of buyout, but the graph for it has looked very...artificial lately. I'm pretty sure I've seen graph results like that on items like spirit shields that only (or mostly) raise and lower because an item it's price is tied to (sigils) raises or lowers.

Also graahk furs were buying for 10k a few days ago, then jumped up to buying for no less than 20k. Next day a few bought for the original price of 10k and now are once again 20k. I'm assuming this is some kind buy out or price manipulation, but would like to hear what others think.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

It sounds like just a price manipulation.

I'd attribute it to some merchants buying out items that are pretty rare and then just keeping them til the prices go up again.

Stupid free trade - you can't tell what prices are real or fake anymore :(

That wouldn't make sense. You don't have to wait for the prices to go up anymore, you just put them up for sale at the price you want to sell them at. The GE suggested price may be off, but there aren't any fake prices anymore.

It sounds like just a price manipulation.

I'd attribute it to some merchants buying out items that are pretty rare and then just keeping them til the prices go up again.

Stupid free trade - you can't tell what prices are real or fake anymore :(

That wouldn't make sense. You don't have to wait for the prices to go up anymore, you just put them up for sale at the price you want to sell them at. The GE suggested price may be off, but there aren't any fake prices anymore.

But most people buy according to the guide price instead of browsing forums to see what it's trading for just for the sake of convenience.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

The guide prices of ruined dragon pieses is fixed to be the same for all of them, thus from a merchanting point of view it makes sense to manipulate one of them and make it the piece that defines the profit. If you want to be able to make money of merchanting plates you need to first stock up on the bought out piece for a reasnoble price and make plates when they are going up. Most of the profit off smithing the plates nowadays comes from merchanting.

As for graahks, you just need to be patient. Current prices are very chaotic and you will definitely be losing money if you rush buys.