i7 upgrade...

Futurama

I would say go intel, and don't stick with AMD even if it does mean buying a new motherboard, and you'll probably need/want new DDR3 RAM anyway.

But yeah, if you're going for very quick processing, I'd say intel is the better choice.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

If you're going for a very high end processing computer, don't go with AMD, intel are the better choice, especially with Sandy/Ivy bridge. Grab an i7 2600k and overclock it. If you don't need that much power (I'm not sure quite how much processing power you need). You will need a new motherboard with socket 1155 and DDR3 slots, and perhaps 8GB of RAM? Perhaps 12GB? Again, I'm not very familiar with audio editing - I assume it's the same kind of requirements as video editing/rendering.

But yeah, if you're going for very quick processing, I'd say intel is the better choice.

Please read the entire topic before posting. Thank you.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

If you're going for a very high end processing computer, don't go with AMD, intel are the better choice, especially with Sandy/Ivy bridge. Grab an i7 2600k and overclock it. If you don't need that much power (I'm not sure quite how much processing power you need). You will need a new motherboard with socket 1155 and DDR3 slots, and perhaps 8GB of RAM? Perhaps 12GB? Again, I'm not very familiar with audio editing - I assume it's the same kind of requirements as video editing/rendering.

I know OP wants an i7 and I was responding to someone else saying an x6 would be good..? I did miss a post by OP at beginning of first page, if that's what you're talking about.

RIP TET

original.png

I personally don't see too much difference between comparable AMD and intel cpus.

Aside from AMD being fair bit cheaper causes its not "the brand".

I have heard talk of intel chips being faster slightly, but I've equally heard talk of AMD overclocking much easier and when overclocked easily beating out intel.

Very much half a dozen of one six of the other issue in my books; especially in the latest gen as AMD isn't lagging behind on speed so much as they used too.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I know OP wants an i7 and I was responding to someone else saying an x6 would be good..? I did miss a post by OP at beginning of first page, if that's what you're talking about.

I'm talking about him not being able to afford a i3/5/7 because it would mean changing several parts.

Which is why i suggested a new AMD cpu which works with AM2+, good upgrade (say some Phenom 2 quad) for little money.

I would like to know what psu he is using at the moment too.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

OP how much do you want to spend? That's pretty key in whether you should go the AMD or intel way.

RIP TET

original.png

OP how much do you want to spend? That's pretty key in whether you should go the AMD or intel way.

Also reboot without clean install tends to go a lot nicer if u don't brand hop.

From personal experience

Doing a rebuild intel to amd had to reboot like 12 or so times and do a few repairs from disc to work.

Doing an intel to intel for my mum; and an amd to amd for a friend both went much faster n smoother.

Could be a fluke thou.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also reboot without clean install tends to go a lot nicer if u don't brand hop.

From personal experience

Doing a rebuild intel to amd had to reboot like 12 or so times and do a few repairs from disc to work.

Doing an intel to intel for my mum; and an amd to amd for a friend both went much faster n smoother.

Could be a fluke thou.

I couldn't think of reasons for that, I'm pretty sure that the OS doesn't react differently to differently branded CPUs, they just treat them as generic objects, and the same for DDR2/3 RAM. They don't use drivers, either. (Correct me if I'm wrong on either of those points, though). The thing I've experienced is when changing motherboards I've had to fiddle around with some MS stuff (I guess copy-protection). I can see how changing stuff around might be a bit of a problem without a clean install, though.

RIP TET

original.png

RAM Wise Corsair or Kingston are rated the best. Mine's running Corsair

I have had extremely bad experiences with Kingston, so to me it is a no-no, but I would recommend Corsair anyday.

RAM Wise Corsair or Kingston are rated the best. Mine's running Corsair

I have had extremely bad experiences with Kingston, so to me it is a no-no, but I would recommend Corsair anyday.

Same I find kingston heatsink fins oddly wide and shaped and get too close to cpu fans etc and I've found them slightly porpely sized to fit into the sockets.

Had 1 system ages ago where it was too small so was really loose, then the replacement bits were too big and actually broke trying to be put in; going back many many years though.

Never had issue with corsair thou.

Also I really need to stop posting here, but I keep having sudden sparks of things to say on reading replies lol

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I personally don't see too much difference between comparable AMD and intel cpus.

I have heard talk of intel chips being faster slightly, but I've equally heard talk of AMD overclocking much easier and when overclocked easily beating out intel.

Very much half a dozen of one six of the other issue in my books; especially in the latest gen as AMD isn't lagging behind on speed so much as they used too.

It's the opposite, AMD cpus are often a bit fabric overclocked to look better on the sheet for the same or cheaper price, however Intel has better components that can stand a higher voltage during overclock, and it is therefore much more anticipated by casual overclockers.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

False. Clock speed is only a small part of a CPU's power. The architecture of the current AMD Phenoms is such that performance is comparable to a similarly clocked Core 2 series Intel processor. Right now Intel is 2 generations ahead, and until AMD's new line comes out in a few months, the only reason to go AMD is upgrading, or buying a processor cheaper than the cheapest i3.

In OP's case, I would consider getting an Phenom x6, just check to see if the programs you use are written to use 6 cores. Otherwise getting an x4 black edition and OCing it would be better. Your mobo is AM3, right?

EDIT - My bad, didn't notice you had an old socket. In that case I would recommend doing an overhaul and getting an i5 based system, or i3 if its out of your budget.