Stat Signature Issue

Hello, Tip.It Website Crew...

Earlier today, the display of stats in my Tip.It Dynamic Signature decided to simply up and quit on me. As of when I'm posting this, it's showing all "1"s for skills, CB Lvl 3, and "0" total level. I checked my "Lite Version" feed and all of my stats are still there, so I'm thinking something just randomly blew up by accident in Tip.It's systems? :ohnoes:

Also, is the display of a given skill level totally dependent on the presence of a ranking for the skill level? If so, you might wish to make it so that it will not require a ranking and show the level anyway, even if it doesn't physically show on the RS Official High Scores. It's really weird knowing I have 67 Strength, and not seeing it on my Stat Siggy just because I decided to forget about combat for a while... :-k

~D. V. "Help! My siggy's not working!" Devnull

(p.s.: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it... Although I think I got it right this time...)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

2ee895641a.png

From what I can see if you change the middle number representing the quest points to 43 (max number of quest points for F2P) all the stats display as 1.

An Admin or Crewbie will probably have to fix this when they get a chance to.

UPDATE:

This has apparently also jammed the caching for images in my older FF2-series browser @ 43 QP, as it shows all the stats on the version over here but doesn't indicate my Str. Level falling off the highscores. The tweaked 44 QP version appears as it should be, although I wish Jagex was transmitting stat info for non-ranked stats (which were showing in the Lite Feed yesterday) anyway.

As of 11 PM last night, the FF3-series browser on the other system where I began this thread was still showing the stats all missing @ 43 QP. It did, however, view the 44 QP version properly.

I hope this information will help in fixing what's gone wrong. Right now, I'm sitting on a keg of mentally stunned. :wacko:

~D. V. "I'm being pwned by a WTF moment, aren't I?" Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

UPDATE:

Well, go figure. I don't know what happened, but my signature is behaving properly again on both FireFox versions. :huh:

If a Tip.It Admin (or more) had a hand in fixing it, then you have my thanks as well. And Tecmaster, thank you for relaying the word about the issue. I do truly appreciate it. |^_^|

I'll be certain to post back if this starts again. For now, I consider this thread as done at this time. :shades:

~D. V. "Case Closed, I hope..." Devnull

The signatures are only cached for 12 hours, along with your stats. What probably happened was that it just happened to fail to grab the stats when you generated the image, so the stats were set to 1 by default, then whenever you generated a signature from that point on it used those cached stats of all 1s until 12 hours later when it grabbed your stats again and this time was successful.

The reason the signture will have looked fine when it had 43 QP on it was probably because we also cache the sig images themselves and that one was generated with working stats.

The signatures are only cached for 12 hours, along with your stats. What probably happened was that it just happened to fail to grab the stats when you generated the image, so the stats were set to 1 by default, then whenever you generated a signature from that point on it used those cached stats of all 1s until 12 hours later when it grabbed your stats again and this time was successful.

The reason the signture will have looked fine when it had 43 QP on it was probably because we also cache the sig images themselves and that one was generated with working stats.

Okay, I'm a little confused here. How did I end up with the FF2-based system having an image with non-accurate stats, and the FF3-based system having an image without any stats but "1"s, during that entire period? Did your server keep two different versions at the same time, or was there some kind of header that was sent with the image(s) originally, such that I couldn't bypass the cache on this system with a Ctrl-F5 even though I had also forced the cache to clear? :blink:

~D. V. "I'm totally confused here, sorry... Can you please help me make sense of what was happening?" Devnull

Okay, I'm a little confused here. How did I end up with the FF2-based system having an image with non-accurate stats, and the FF3-based system having an image without any stats but "1"s, during that entire period? Did your server keep two different versions at the same time, or was there some kind of header that was sent with the image(s) originally, such that I couldn't bypass the cache on this system with a Ctrl-F5 even though I had also forced the cache to clear? :blink:

~D. V. "I'm totally confused here, sorry... Can you please help me make sense of what was happening?" Devnull

That can't be anything but some sort of caching issue on your end, providing it was happening on exactly the same URL in both browsers. Here's a run down of the system and how it works:

• You request a signature.
  • We check our database to see if we have your stats and how old the copy of those stats is.
  • If the copy of the stats is older than 12 hours we request the stats from RS again and put them in our database.
  • We check to see if the image you requested already exists on our server (same QP, pose, background etc.), and how old it is.
  • If the image is newer than 12 hours, we serve you that cached image with headers in it stating when it expires (12 hours from creation).
  • If the image is older than 12 hours, we create a new image, and put that in the cache directory, and serve you that, with headers stating when it expires (12 hours from creation).

Stats can be updated without the image updating (say if you create a signature for the first time, we grab your stats then, you then create another signature 6 hours later, we still have your cached stats, the first image you made will update 6 hours before the second one does). But creating a new uncached image can use the new stats. Here's a scenario:

• You create a signature, so we grab your stats.
  • 6 hours later you create a different signature (maybe change the background or something).
  • You discard the first signature as you decide you don't like it, and decide to use the second one.
  • 12 hours after the first one is created, your stats are due to update, but the server will see the image you're using (the second signature) as being only 6 hours old at that time, and as such, it won't update it; but at some point, when the image loads, the stats will update in our database.
  • 6 hours later the second signature updates to use the new stats.
  • If you change anything about the signature so it becomes an image we don't have cached, like change the background, pose, or number of quest points; it causes the image to be regenerated, but uses whatever stats we have in the database.
  • So if 12 hours after you created the first signature (and thus 6 hours after the second) you make a third signature, that will have updated stats which are different from the second one you created.

Yes, I know it's complicated, but normally I don't have to explain the system to users. :P

<<<Massive Quote Snip>>>

Yes, I know it's complicated, but normally I don't have to explain the system to users. :P

I think I got it that time. It's definitely complex! Sadly, my head's spinning like crazy now. I don't think I would have done well as an actual programmer, even though I'm good at finding bugs. :wacko:

~D. V. "Brain... overloaded... *THUD!*..." Devnull