Building my own computer

HexiledRazz

I made a post here about a year ago about building my own computer to replace my current one(Dell Precision 340). Long story short, i was aiming kinda' high with my budget(600 - $800) and didn't manage to make the money due to a lack of means. However by using the same computer again for another year, i've gotten a little more desperate(lol) and realistic with my budget(Aiming at around 200 - $300 now).

EDIT: Raised my budget by about $100. Around 300 - $400 is going to be my new budget, as i've been told that the extra 100 bucks can really get a lot more.

Right now, I'm sure anything could our perform my current computer. It's an old office one that i got off Ebay that i assume has never been reformatted. So I'm just looking for something that will serve my needs, and has the ability to be upgraded in the future.

All i really do on my computer atm is some light gaming(Old games like Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, and i occasionally get into WoW), and video editing(Although i haven't in the past months due to the decreasing performance of my system).

I would just buy a pre-built system, but for the sake of making it cheaper and upgrading it in the future, I'd like to get the parts and build it myself.

Space isn't really an issue as i have a 1 TB external hard drive that I'm not even close to filling. I keep things like pictures, music, and achieved videos on there. So i think 250GB should be fine for my internal hard drive.

I know i want windows 7 on it, but after that i really don't know what else would suffice for my needs. So that's why i've came here with my questions.

I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to the internal workings of the computer. So say you held out two motherboards in front of me, i couldn't tell you which one would be better for what/ect. But I'm kinda' wondering if you guys could shed some light on the various questions a computer noob can have.

How much RAM should i get? Windows 7 in 64-bit sounds appealing as from what i've researched, it can handle larger amounts of RAM(4GB+ i've heard?) better then the 32-bit version. However, when would this pass the threshold of affordability for me?

In my thread i made last year, someone made a list for me which seemed pretty good. However a few of the things were pretty expensive. Specifically the video card, and memory, both which were over $100. This is leading me to wonder if i should just skip a graphics card and just use the one built in the motherboard. But do all motherboards have video cards built in?

Lastly, will most computer components work/fit together? Or are there certain rules to this? (EG, how can you tell that a certain type or RAM will work with a certain motherboards?)

I think when it comes down to it, once i finally have the cash I'll ask someone to make me a list and then order it there and then. But in the mean time, if i could get a few questions answered that would be great. Thanks!

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

What kind of external hard drive do you have? It might actually be possible to disconnect it from the case and use it as a primary hard drive. It'd be best if you kept all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) from your current computer. You won't need more than 4 gigs of ram, and can probably easily get by with 2.

I can see about trying to make a build tonight, otherwise it might be a while.

EDIT: Total of $187.66; I went for bare-bare bones. If you want to shoot higher go for it.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061

CPU/Motherboard combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170015

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140042

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Any chance you could post some system specs of your current computer. It is possible that there is upgrade options and you'll be able to spend your money on key upgrades rather then on an entirely new system. A 200-300 budget is a very tight one.

Newegg is a great place to start seeing as they have Do it Yourself kits that include everything needed hardware-wise to build a system. http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterComboStore.aspx?StoreID=7&name=DIY-PC-Combos On the left you can see different price ranges and compare builds.

For building a new computer you need the following items

•  
  • Computer Case
  • Power Supply*
  • Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Cpu Heatsink/Fan*
  • Thermal Paste*
  • Hard Drive
  • Memory (RAM)
  • Optical Drives*

*Cpu Heatsink/fan along with thermal paste are often included with the purchase of a new processor

*Optical Drives are not nesessary but having a dvd/cd reader/writer allows you to use CD's

*Power supplies are sometimes included with a purchase of a computer case

We'll more than happy to give you advice and help you build a list but its good to look around and see if you could push your budget a bit further to get more "bang for your buck".

randomkcopyq.png

What kind of external hard drive do you have? It might actually be possible to disconnect it from the case and use it as a primary hard drive. It'd be best if you kept all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) from your current computer. You won't need more than 4 gigs of ram, and can probably easily get by with 2.

I can see about trying to make a build tonight, otherwise it might be a while.

EDIT: Total of $187.66; I went for bare-bare bones. If you want to shoot higher go for it.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061

CPU/Motherboard combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170015

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140042

Thanks for the list! It's actually all quite affordable. And depending on how things go, i might be able to stretch my budget to $400.

I was thinking of the same thing with the external HHD; it's a western digital my book. Though the only problem is that I'm not quite sure if i would have to reformat it. 5+ years of my digital life is on there =S

And i am keeping the mouse/keyboard/monitor of my current computer. They're all actually quite new(Except for my speakers, though i use headphones most of the time).

Lastly, with a lower amount of RAM, should i install a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Any chance you could post some system specs of your current computer. It is possible that there is upgrade options and you'll be able to spend your money on key upgrades rather then on an entirely new system. A 200-300 budget is a very tight one.

Newegg is a great place to start seeing as they have Do it Yourself kits that include everything needed hardware-wise to build a system. http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterComboStore.aspx?StoreID=7&name=DIY-PC-Combos On the left you can see different price ranges and compare builds.

For building a new computer you need the following items

•  
  • Computer Case
  • Power Supply*
  • Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Cpu Heatsink/Fan*
  • Thermal Paste*
  • Hard Drive
  • Memory (RAM)
  • Optical Drives*

*Cpu Heatsink/fan along with thermal paste are often included with the purchase of a new processor

*Optical Drives are not nesessary but having a dvd/cd reader/writer allows you to use CD's

*Power supplies are sometimes included with a purchase of a computer case

We'll more than happy to give you advice and help you build a list but its good to look around and see if you could push your budget a bit further to get more "bang for your buck".

My computer is to the point where getting a new one is what i really want to do. The current disk drive on it doesn't work, so reformatting from a disk is out of the option. And plus RAM is near-impossible to find for it. I'd rather spent the money on a bare-bones one that i can upgrade as i please, then spend 50 - 75 bucks on parts for this one.

But as for the specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Model: Precision workstation 340

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz

RAM: 512MB

Video card: Radeon 7000 series

That's all i can really get from the DirectX diagnostic tool. I'm not sure where to find other information =S

How to get the HDD out of your external: http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-my-book-opening-the-case-removing-the-drive/

I believe you can install windows over an unformatted drive; however you would need to partition your drive. A safer way would be to format and install windows on the hard drive from your desktop and use the 1tb as a secondary drive. On your desktop go to control panel -> device manager -> disk drives and see if you can figure out what kind of connection that hard drive uses. I know the external hard drive is a normal SATA disk.

64 bit is up to you; I don't think it's more expensive and there aren't really compatibility issues anymore so you might want to get it in the event of a RAM upgrade. It's your choice though.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

64bit or i'll send angry monkeys to your house.

Also, may i ask why i see a crap psu in the list?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

64bit or i'll send angry monkeys to your house.

Also, may i ask why i see a crap psu in the list?

Yeah this. And also, excuse me if I'm wrong, but I see no CPU on that list.

OP, I think you were asking before if you would have to format your external HDD, and that would be a no :)

Your budget is incredibly tight - if you loosened your belt a tad you could get a much better system. Thing about windows is that it will take up about half of your budget by its self :/ I'm not sure about microsoft's policies about buying the OEM version, but it sure seems to be a lot cheaper ($100 on newegg).

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103903 $60.99

RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 $39.99 (underclock to 1333)

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130243 $49.99

Case/PSU bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147099 $49.99

Optical Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 $20.99

HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299 $38.99

TOTAL: $260.94 + Windows

That's pretty much the minimum that I would deem acceptable. I've heard the name rosewell before and I think they're a fine brand, but we don't have that on this side of the Atlantic so I can't vouch for anything there.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Very nice brand and very nice power on the 12v line.

There's never a good reason to skimp on the quality on the psu. Maybe there's a reason why Logisys offers a 1 year warranty and Corsair 5.

Edit: A list.

A-data 4gb ddr3 1333

Biostar mAtx am3

Samsung cd/dvd

Xigmatek 400w 80+

Hitachi 500gb

AMD athlon 2 3ghz

=254$

If you don't want to use your old case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233061

+24$

For 50 more dollars you could get a Phenom 2 x4 2.8ghz.

I have chosen a ddr3 mobo+memory because ddr2 is being phased out, and if you choose to go with ddr2 and in 10 months you'd want to get a better cpu, you'd need to change the memory as well.

Thanks guys! I'm beginning to understand a bit more about a few things. So DDR3 RAM is comparable with the newer CPUs. Essentially a newer version, correct?

And 64-bit windows doesn't have any repercussions over 32-bit for lower memory?

Overall it looks like i should add an extra $100 to my budget. But the way i see it, is that even the bare minimal will be better then what i have now.

And would it be possible for me to use my current case for this(Dell Precision 340)? As much as i would hate doing that because of how old it is and all the damage it has, it might be a viable option until i can afford a new one.

Lastly, i would like to use my external HHD and put in my new build for the main drive. It would be nice to use the drive from my current PC, but i have a fear that it could give out or something like that because of how old it is. Plus it's kinda small(Only 36~ish gigs). However, depending on the risks of doing that, i might just use the one from my current PC(Though i might have trouble reformatting it since i can't from my current computer. Perhaps put it in my dad's computer as a second drive and reformat?).

Here, putting together a $300 one for you that may be a bit better for video editing.

compbuild2.png

This will be a solid build. You can pick another case, this was just the cheapest one with solid reviews. It comes in to just under $300, but doesn't include Win7. You can either:

- Pay $99 for the OEM copy of Windows 7 64bit

- Use Linux

- If you have the XP cd from your old computer, use it

There are other less legal ways of acquiring it, but it requires a lot more work and you may just feel the wrath of Microsoft's B&hammer.

Here, putting together a $300 one for you that may be a bit better for video editing.

compbuild2.png

This will be a solid build. You can pick another case, this was just the cheapest one with solid reviews. It comes in to just under $300, but doesn't include Win7. You can either:

- Use Linux

There are other less legal ways of acquiring it, but it requires a lot more work and you may just feel the wrath of Microsoft's B&hammer.

I'd get the AMD 925 at Newegg for the same price.

Thanks guys! I'm beginning to understand a bit more about a few things. So DDR3 RAM is comparable with the newer CPUs. Essentially a newer version, correct?

Yes DDR3 is a newer version. DDR2 is essentially phased out and so it would be silly to buy it now. Compatibility with CPU's is a separate issue though, it's more motherboard compatibility that is important.

And 64-bit windows doesn't have any repercussions over 32-bit for lower memory?

Shouldn't do. You'll be wanting 4GB anyway - and at $40, why not? 32bit only recognizes up to ~3.25GB RAM.

Overall it looks like i should add an extra $100 to my budget. But the way i see it, is that even the bare minimal will be better then what i have now.
More budget is always good, especially at lower tiers (up at the higher tiers it doesn't make much difference, but that's a separate issue). You'd be surprised at what the bare minimum can do now.

And would it be possible for me to use my current case for this(Dell Precision 340)? As much as i would hate doing that because of how old it is and all the damage it has, it might be a viable option until i can afford a new one.
Don't use this case. New cases are only like 20 bucks and anyway, your Dell case won't support ATx motherboards (my bet is that the dell case is BTx).

Lastly, i would like to use my external HHD and put in my new build for the main drive. It would be nice to use the drive from my current PC, but i have a fear that it could give out or something like that because of how old it is. Plus it's kinda small(Only 36~ish gigs). However, depending on the risks of doing that, i might just use the one from my current PC(Though i might have trouble reformatting it since i can't from my current computer. Perhaps put it in my dad's computer as a second drive and reformat?).

Hard drives are cheap these days, and if you give us a budget we can easily factor in a 320 or 500GB HDD into your build. If your hard drive is so old, it is more likely that it will give out. Also, it may well be PATA which is ancient :ohnoes:

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

If you go with the build I posted, modified to your needs, it will come in far under $500 with shipping, tax and Win7. If you need a DVD drive, go with a cheap one like this: LG SuperMultiDrive. You can always get a blu-ray player later on if you want it. I wouldn't go for reusing an old HDD, it will only cause problems, and if it doesn't work you will just end up paying extra shipping to buy one anyways.

<snip dat pic>

- Use Linux

Just a quick point- That hard drive is a 6gb/s model, which the motherboard doesn't support, so it'd run at 3 gb/s.

Seems Samsung's spinpoint f4s have gone up by about $40 since last time I checked, so I can't reccomend that.

I've heard good things about Hitachi's drives, and they have a pretty cheap terabyte drive with a 32mb cache, which is kind of like RAM for your hard drive. It's only $15 more for 3x the capacity.

Go 64-bit or don't bother building, and you might be able to go without the optical drive for a month or two if you don't use game disks.

As others have said, an extra hundred or two would go a long ways towards getting you a better computer.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

<snip dat pic>

- Use Linux

Just a quick point- That hard drive is a 6gb/s model, which the motherboard doesn't support, so it'd run at 3 gb/s.

Seems Samsung's spinpoint f4s have gone up by about $40 since last time I checked, so I can't reccomend that.

I've heard good things about Hitachi's drives, and they have a pretty cheap terabyte drive with a 32mb cache, which is kind of like RAM for your hard drive. It's only $15 more for 3x the capacity.

Go 64-bit or don't bother building, and you might be able to go without the optical drive for a month or two if you don't use game disks.

As others have said, an extra hundred or two would go a long ways towards getting you a better computer.

About Samsung drives, i don't know if they'll still be produced or not in the future (just rebranding the models and so on), since Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive division recently.

<snip dat pic>

- Use Linux

I noticed that, but it was the cheapest 320gb drive anyways. The Hitachi cheap 1tb drive is only 5200RPM iirc, so would be a bad choice for a boot drive.

I noticed that, but it was the cheapest 320gb drive anyways. The Hitachi cheap 1tb drive is only 5200RPM iirc, so would be a bad choice for a boot drive.

You sure? The link seems to be broken (maybe because they bumped the price up $5), so I'll re-up it.

The one linked there is 7.2k RPM.

EDIT:

seems the Egg doesn't like that link either. Search this on their site: HDS721010CLA332

Anyone willing to tell me how to use hide tags? This quote chain is kinda big.

Edited by PlzPuddngPlz

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

[hide]

You sure? The link seems to be broken (maybe because they bumped the price up $5), so I'll re-up it.

The one linked there is 7.2k RPM.

EDIT:

seems the Egg doesn't like that link either. Search this on their site: HDS721010CLA332

Anyone willing to tell me how to use hide tags? This quote chain is kinda big.

[/hide]

If it is 7200 RPM, it'd make a fine drive. Your links have www.http.com inbetween the Http:// and URL, so it's breaking them

And this is how to use hide tags: [hied][/hide] 

Thanks.

You are over 9000.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Suggestions appreciated