hacked and scammed possibilites?

nightfire

i've been playing runescape since around june 2005 and normally, i just play the game and i will make sure i don't tell anyone my pass, pin, and even not "talk" about it. but recently, i'm reading people getting "hacked." is it really true that people can just "hack" your account out of the blue?

if so, how do you prevent that? i have the latest antivirus and antispyware, and i keep a sharp eye and senses should anybody ask for my pass. anything else i'm missing?

02e32d69f6.png

Well, that's about all one can do. Just play safely and you should be alright. Unfortunately, most firewalls have trouble with keyloggers, but with the addition of the bank PIN you should be fine. Other than that it's just bad luck.

Abutebaris modo subjunctivo denuo.

newscapere4.gif

grammar2gr8dx.png

if so, how do you prevent that? i have the latest antivirus and antispyware, and i keep a sharp eye and senses should anybody ask for my pass. anything else i'm missing?

Common sense. This isn't at you specifically, but all the spyware and anti-virus won't help you if you enter your information on a scam website and/or email. That accounts for a suprisingly large amount of 'hacked' accounts.

is it really true that people can just "hack" your account out of the blue?

Absolutely not. The only way for them to hack your account without your involvement (unwitting or otherwise) would be to systematically type in every possible combination of characters until they stumbled on your password - a "brute force" attack. They could write some sort of script to do the typing for them, but - being a java applet rather than a standard win32 control - that would be difficult to execute accurately.

Outside of that, you would need to get yourself keylogged or otherwise manipulated into giving up your pass.

siganizq4.gif

^ Good point, which is why your password should be alpha-numeric, to limit that chance.

Of course, siblings who share your PC might disable the firewall to get that "1337 Runescape hack" as they don't understand why it keeps blocking it. I'm positive this has happened to someone.

Also, I wouldn't play Runescape on any other PC other than your own. School PCs, especially, can be littered with spyware and keyloggers. If you know your own PC to be safe, it again limits the chance.

^ Good point, which is why your password should be alpha-numeric, to limit that chance.

Of course, siblings who share your PC might disable the firewall to get that "1337 Runescape hack" as they don't understand why it keeps blocking it. I'm positive this has happened to someone.

Also, I wouldn't play Runescape on any other PC other than your own. School PCs, especially, can be littered with spyware and keyloggers. If you know your own PC to be safe, it again limits the chance.

dam, now i can't even play in school anymore. oh well, at least i still have other noob account i can have fun with ;)

02e32d69f6.png

^ Heh, well it's your choice but you have to accept the risk. They might actually be clean in which case go ahead and play. It's just that I know for a fact mine are ridden with crap. Not that I ever played the game at school anyways :P

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=380719

all you need to know...

also this following link helps:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=380703

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

dam, now i can't even play in school anymore. oh well, at least i still have other noob account i can have fun with ;)

ummm dowload example ad-aware and run the virus check and play RS :D lol well that might help (i do that at our school but they have so sucky computers that you cant play solitaire on them!)