Can't boot windows 7

PoorLepRecon

A few days ago my laptop stopped working properly. I attempted to reboot it, but now as it tries to boot windows 7 it always bluescreens and instantly reboots the computer. It bluescreens when the screen is all black, showing the windows logo in the center. I've tried booting from my windows recovery disc, but it eventually takes me to a black screen where all I can see is my cursor. It will just sit there for hours doing nothing. If I try to do Startup Repair the same blackscreen with only the cursor visible shows up. I have a feeling that it's my hard drive that has malfunctioned, but I wanted to post here incase there is something I can try that I haven't considered yet. I will attempt to boot from a windows 7 CD once my dad comes back from vacation, but that won't be until next week.

Any help that you guys can give me is much appreciated. If nothing can be done on my end, I'll have to consider if it's worth reparing of just buying a desk top next.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

My question right now is if it's the hard drive that's malfunctioned wound't there just be a black screen or a blue screen of death? The fact you can see your cursor makes me think it is just having issues booting all together. Im not a complete genius, but that's what it sounds like to me. What you might have to do is wait till you father gets home with the original insulation disk and try to reboot it from that disk and re install it (if it comes from that). If it doesn't work after you re install it(or it doesn't work from booting it from the disk) then it more then likely is the hard drive.

Depending on how much it would cost to fix it, you might consider saving up for a desk top? I'm not a huge fan of laptops and that's what I would if I was in your situation.

Hope everything works out.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

#-o

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Try creating a live disk/usb of a Linux distro, eg ubuntu. There are instructions here. Stick it in your DVD drive to see if you can boot from there.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Try creating a live disk/usb of a Linux distro, eg ubuntu. There are instructions here. Stick it in your DVD drive to see if you can boot from there.

Booting Ubuntu from a CD worked, I'm posting this from my laptop right now. Now I'm not sure what's wrong with windows...

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

#-o

I've solved some issues of getting blue screens in the logo screen a few times (although only one of those was on my computer when XP's SP3 came out). We never know.

If you think you know everything about computers get out of here now. There's people that know much more than us in this forum.

Booting Ubuntu from a CD worked, I'm posting this from my laptop right now. Now I'm not sure what's wrong with windows...

Then it seems to be a problem with the hard disk. Hard disks are easily replaceable and aren't too expensive, you just need to look into getting another 2.5inch model. Does the hard disk make a lot of noise?

If you want to further single out the hard drive as the problem, take it out of your laptop (its normally held into the chassis with a couple of screws) and put it in your desktop (unplug your existing hard drive and plug the same cables into your laptop hard drive). If its a problem with your hard drive, windows still wont boot up. Booting a laptop version of windows on a desktop did produce weird results when i tried it though o.O

RIP TET

original.png

If its a problem with your hard drive, windows still wont boot up.

Also, this can be expected if it's an issue with the Windows installation.

Why did i not think of this >.>

Depending on the problem your data may or may not be lost. As nyo said, see if you can copy files from the hdd onto the ubuntu usb. If that works it just means the installation of windows is messed up - back up, wipe and reinstall. If you cant do this then your data is pretty much lost (you may be able to get people to manually extract data but it is expensive and not really worth it).

RIP TET

original.png

I was able to successfully recover my data onto a flash drive using the Ubuntu disk. Looks like I'll have to wait until my dad gets back to see if he has a windows 7 disc. This laptop came preloaded with windows 7 and I only have my windows recovery discs. Thanks for the help. :)