Dragon bones worth buying now?

Howlin0001

Cost effectiveness is the same as cost efficiency.

I'm not remotely suggesting cost efficiency = overall efficiency.

Obvious examples is big bones are technically very cost efficient; but looking at overall efficiency they are not.

All I was saying is comparing gp:hr to your income does show cost efficiency or cost effectiveness.

Cost efficiency is a term you made up, it has nothing to do with economics. The only efficiency is "overall efficiency".

What you do is compare gp/exp, exp/h and income/h to determine how efficient different methods are given your personal income and the prices of different methods. Grimy's sheets do this for you, which is why they are so awesome.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Cost effectiveness is the same as cost efficiency.

I'm not remotely suggesting cost efficiency = overall efficiency.

Obvious examples is big bones are technically very cost efficient; but looking at overall efficiency they are not.

All I was saying is comparing gp:hr to your income does show cost efficiency or cost effectiveness.

Okay, this is getting out of hand. You just try to make yourself seem smarter but you just make yourself look bad in the end.

What the hell is cost effective about spending MORE money on LESS exp. If anything, that's cost INEFFECTIVNESS.

Anyhow, in your second respond to my post - you stated:

"I did say ECONOMICALLY efficient for a reason; namely that that number does only show you how efficient it is in terms of cost/profit; but not necessarily in terms of time, though it often can be."

You do realize that being cost efficient is the same thing as being time efficient.

In economics which you seem to be so fond of - you don't take ONLY accounting profit/costs into the decision making progress, you also take into the opportunity cost.

In essence, this was what GSPbeetle was trying to get at. He was calculating TOTAL COST of your time (skilling and then your opportunity cost of making money). The only problem was that he shouldve accounted for time saved and then work out how expensive the exp was.

You then decided to attack him, and give a totally nonsensical bunch of equations and stated "this determined economic efficiency" which it did not.

TBH, why do you even need to calculate gp spent per hour? All these data points have already been researched thoroughly. If you can find gp/xp and xp/hr don't you think that same site would have cost/hr?

For all the "there are different types of efficiency", there really isn't (at least in runescape-really).

Your "cost-effectiveness" should take into account time saved between two methods, and then your money making process to see if the additional cost is worth the time saved.

Otherwise, you would see tons of threads with [developmentally delayed] suggestions such as:

Crafting gold bracelets to 99 crafting

Smith cannonballs to 99 smithing

Use a fruit bat's summoning charm for 99 summoning

In your opinon, these are the most COST EFFECTIVE ways to level right? Cause you're profiting rather then losing money per hour?

Sorry if I sound mad but all these posts have gotten a little bit (a lot bit) ridiculous.

It's clear you have some very minimal knowledge of economics/math/whatnot but don't try to correct everybody, give worthless advice and then spend the rest of the thread bickering over technicalities.

God damn, if you were truly talking about "economic efficiency" and bone prices - you would've suggested buying normal bones. They're the god damn cheapest bones in the world!!!!!!!!

Honestly, if this isn't trolling - I have no idea what is.

capt%20kevin.png

You people are just making things complicated.

All we need is an indicator to tell when to buy ashes or dragon bones.

Have a look at grimy's spread sheet again.

We have only 2 limiting factors here, one the time cost and the other is the monetary cost. The income is the variable.

How about you enlighten us with your awesome formula that links exp/hr and cost/hr and determines when to buy ashes or dragon bones?

edit: bunyip: Thats not the point anyway, he has made his point.

Let's make this a little more clear. We're trying to find out how whether Dragon Bones or Infernal Ashes are more efficient to altar. So first off, we need to find out how many bones we can altar per hour.

----INCOMING WALL OF TEXT---- (finished eating, so I was in the mood for math)

I personally was able to altar around 1600 bones / hour with a tort, so I'll use those figures.

In one hour, you altar 1.6k bones or ashes. So in one hour, you get a total of 403,200 prayer xp. In an hour of altaring Infernal Ashes, you get 350,000 prayer xp.

Next we'll find out how much we spend per hour altar'ing both items. Dragon Bones cost 6,254,400 gp / hour altar'ing, while Infernal Ashes cost 4,872,000, which comes out to be a 1,382,400 gp difference.

What comes next is how much altaring each costs. Each dragon bone is 3,909 gp at current GE mid prices, and each altar'd bone is worth 252 prayer xp, therefore, by dividing the cost by the experience gained, you come with a gp:xp ratio, which is ~15.52 gp / xp, which means that you spend about 15.52 gp per prayer experience from the Dragon Bone. Infernal Ashes, on the other hand, cost 3,045 gp each, and each altar'd ashes gives you 218.75 xp, therefore, by dividing the cost of the Infernal Ashes with how much experience you gain from altar'ing them, you come out with a 13.92 gp / xp ratio.

So what does this mean? This means that altar'ing Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes are only a difference of about 1.6 gp / xp from ashes to bones. But that's not the most important thing to account for: altar'ing Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes costs 1,382,400 gp extra, for an extra 53,200 prayer experience per hour. That means that in order for you to get the same experience as Dragon Bones from altar'ing Infernal Ashes, you would need to spend about 69.12 minutes altar'ing Infernal Ashes (or 9.12 extra minutes altaring Infernal Ashes in order to get 403,200 prayer xp).

Here is what comes next, and what matters most to people: which should I altar? There are two cases people care about: how much faster is one over the other, and how much more or less one costs over the other. In the case of altar'ing Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes, Dragon Bones cost 1,382,400 gp more per hour than Infernal Ashes, therefore, if you can make MORE than 1,382,400 gp / hour doing anything else in Runescape (MH'ing, PKing, w/e), then Dragon Bones is more efficient to use for prayer training, BUT, if you can't make that amount or more, then Infernal Ashes are much more efficient to altar. If you're looking on how much faster one is over the other, then you can see that altar'ing Dragon Bones saves you around 9.12 minutes per hour of altar'ing over Infernal Ashes.

Let's give an example: let's say that someone with 70 prayer wants to get 95 prayer. He will need either 36,735 Infernal Ashes to get to 95, OR 31,881 Dragon Bones to get to 95, using an altar. If you find the difference between the two, it is a difference of altar'ing 4,854 items, or in terms of time, you will spend around 3.03 hours MORE altaring Infernal Ashes over Dragon Bones. So, if two people are racing to 95 prayer, starting at the same time, with the same prayer xp, and the altar each item at the same rate (1,600 / hour), then the one who altars the Dragon Bones will beat the one altar'ing the Infernal Ashes 3.03 hours FASTER, at a cost of 4,188,672 gp for that whole time, while the one altar'ing Infernal Ashes will save 4,188,672 gp from not altar'ing Dragon Bones.

This is why your income / hour and your personal enjoyment of an activity matters: maybe the person who is altar'ing Infernal Ashes likes grinding out the ashes, even if it takes him around 3 hours more to do so? Then again, maybe he can't make more than the 1.3m / hour, so in order to be efficient, he'll have to use Infernal Ashes. And the person who hates altar'ing bones may like boss hunting better, so if he can get 95 prayer ASAP, then he can start boss hunting that much faster to make up that money.

To get these figures, I first set up my goal (I have 70 prayer, and I want to get 95). Then I found out the different rates of experience I can expect from utilizing a variety of methods (Dragon Bones vs Infernal Ashes: 403,200 xp / hour vs. 350,000 xp / hour, with a difference of 53,200 xp / hour with Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes, at a cost of 1,382,400 gp / hour using Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes), and then I calculated my goal (I need either 36,735 Infernal Ashes OR 31,881 Dragon Bones to altar to get to 95). Then I found the difference between the two (4854 more Infernal Ashes than Dragon Bones), and found out the time difference (about 3.03 hours more training prayer with Infernal Ashes over Dragon Bones). I ask myself: can I make more than 1,382,400 gp / hour doing something I like or like MORE than training prayer? If so, I should use Dragon Bones, if not, I should use Infernal Ashes. If I hate training prayer regardless of how much money I have, then I should find out whether 3.03 hours saved from using Dragon Bones over Infernal Ashes is worth the extra 4,188,672 gp it'll cost me.