Crafting: the RTD

Jehosaphat

The year is 2053 in Earth years. Your planet has recently made contact with highly advanced extraterrestrials, and has since joined its population together in an attempt to resist an alien invasion. But, for now, it would seem the aliens have no intention of invading.

This is what you thought. Until today, where instead of awakening in your 'bed', you awoke on a large space station, along with 5 other aliens of a species you do not recognise, to a message being broadcast into your minds: "Attention Crafters. You are here to participate in a game. To win is to save your planet. To lose is to have it eradicated. The objective is this: To build. To craft. To make things of such great quality that even ourselves would have to marvel at their beauty. You will have as much time as necessary to do this, as well as some of our more.... dated equipment. You will also be given access to various locations throughout the galaxy to scour for crafting materials. You may begin." A door opens in front of you, and you walk out into a large bay full of tools, desks, and other whatnot, all overshadowed by a large portal. You find your station, and begin setting up to do your work...

Welcome to Crafting: the RtD.

[hide=Everything You Need To Know][hide=Actions]There are 2 basic types of actions: Gathering, and Crafting. Any other actions, such as talking, buying tools or stuff from the group inventory, or silently weeping due to past failures is a free action.

Gathering may be specified, or may be just a nonspecific 'Gather' action. Once you decide to gather, I will make up to 3 rolls for it - one for success, one for quantity, and one for quality. The success roll may be modified based on the difficulty of finding things in the specific world, and determines how well you succeed or fail. The quality is going to be a number assigned to the item to show its usefulness in crafting - more on that below - and may be affected by a tools or a skills modifier. Quantity should be obvious, and will be unaffected by any modifiers whatsoever.

Crafting is done differently. I make 2 rolls - one for success, and one for quality. The end quality of crafting an item will be: (quality of component 1 + quality of component 2 + quality of component n)*(success roll ^(quality roll - 3)). You may receive skill or tool modifiers on the quality roll, but not the success roll.

You are given equipment to use in crafting and gathering, but it's very basic. Also, the aliens do not approve of crafting any of their outdated tools into your creations, and doing so will result in very, very bad things.

All rolls will be a d6. And, finally, you can retry an action once, after which the aliens will become bored and 'ask' you to do something else.[/hide]

[hide=Skills and Tools]You start as a professional craftscreature with one level in their chosen field of crafting, be it weaponsmithing, gem cutting, breeding, cooking, whatever. As the game progresses, you will gain experience in this skill, as well as many others - the experience you receive will be directly related to the success roll of the action. Once you hit 100 experience in a skill, you 'go up a level', which means that you may randomly receive a modifier on any given sucess roll regarding an action relating to that skill.

The tools you are given at the start of the game are cruddy and outdated, and such give no bonus modifiers to any actions. Better tools may be purchased with Zorbucks, a digital currency created within the ship for the crafters' purposes. The better the equipment you're looking for, the more expensive it will be - and the equipment hold isn't always guaranteed to hold a piece of equipment you may be looking for.[/hide]

[hide=Inventory Systems]There are 2 types of inventory: Personal and Group.

Your Personal inventory is, obviously, an inventory only you have access to. It can hold up to 12 'stacks' of stuff, not including tools, and goes with you wherever you go.

The Group inventory is an inventory shared by the entire group. Putting something into the group inventory nets you an amount of Zorbucks equal to the item's quality, and taking it out will cost you Zorbucks at the same ratio. If you fill your personal inventory, you must dump some stuff into the group inventory before you can do anything else.[/hide]

[hide=The Gallery]The Gallery is where you put your finished stuff. Putting something you've crafted into the Gallery makes it untouchable by anyone, and nets you an amount of Zorbucks equal to the item's quality.[/hide]

[hide=Turns and What Happens if you Miss Them]A turn is simply the time when everyone's actions take place, I make up the rolls, etc. You can miss 2 turns before I put your character in 'stasis' and let someone else play. I will usually do 1 turn a day, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up. This is in place mostly to keep the game moving.[/hide]

[hide=Creating a Character]Character creation is simple. Just fill out the sheet:

Name:

Race: (this cannot be the same as anyone else's, just for diversity's sake)

Chosen Profession:

Bio: (this is optional)[/hide][/hide]

[hide=List of Currently Active Players - Maximum of 6][hide=Mather]Name: Janus

Race: Lantian

Skills: Quantum Engineering: lv. 1 xp: 0[/hide]

[hide=Res]

Name: Bloodclaw Fistsmasher

Race: Steel Golemoid

Skills: Breeding lv. 1 xp: 0[/hide][/hide]

[hide=Waitlist][/hide]

[hide=Characters in Stasis][/hide]

Game will start once someone's made a character. Also note: this is NOT hard sci-fi.

a70c7.png

Turn 0

Change of Worlds:

The portal opens to show a lush, green planetoid orbiting a bright green star. There are small pools of water brimming with fish, and you can see trees growing in the distance.

Inventories:

[hide=Mather]None[/hide]

[hide=Group]1 pile of woodchips (quality 1)

1 foot of copper wire (3)

3 frozen fish heads of indeterminate origin(3)[/hide]

a70c7.png

Name: Janus

Race: Lantian

Chosen Profession: Quantum-electronics engineer.

Chosen Profession: Quantum-electronics engineer.

Quantum-electronics engineer

507824_1280868373988_full.jpg

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Turn 1

Janus gathers wood.

Attempt: 5

Quality: 2

Quantity: 6

You venture out into the world, intent on finding wood. You walk until you reach the forest, and manage to cut down some saplings with a basic laser hatchet.

+6 green sapling wood (2)

Inventories:

[hide=Mather]6 green sapling wood (2)[/hide]

[hide=Group]1 pile of woodchips (quality 1)

1 foot of copper wire (3)

3 frozen fish heads of indeterminate origin(3)[/hide]

And Nex, he can be a quantum engineer if he wants. OP says you can be pretty much whatever, so....

a70c7.png

Quantum-electronics engineer means someone who designs devices which use electronics to affect other fields of physics. That means I can for example make a projected statuette of ionized gas in a magnetic field. I don't have any advantage over anyone else, I can do nice effects, but intricate details would be impossible.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Mather, it was just a joke. :thumbup:

Didn't someone say that for a different game recently, if you chose Quantum-Electronics Engineer they were just going to say 'screw it' and give up or some such? :P

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Is too complicated for lil old me. Sorry Stork. It does look good though.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Well it's a bit ironic when I say this, but isn;t the system rather numerical based? Like there is no difference if I was a rocket scientist or a professional basketweaver?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well it's a bit ironic when I say this, but isn;t the system rather numerical based? Like there is no difference if I was a rocket scientist or a professional basketweaver?

Correct. And if you were a professional basketweaver, but halfway through, you wanted to become a rocket scientist, you could. But you'd miss out on the bonuses from your professional basketweaving skill.

a70c7.png

But in the end, it's all about game theory and math? Like, my super quality basket is worth more than your perfect diamond, or something?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

But in the end, it's all about game theory and math? Like, my super quality basket is worth more than your perfect diamond, or something?

If you're playing to win, then yeah, I guess. But the point of the game isn't to win, it's to have fun and make some crazy stuff.

a70c7.png

Meh. I'm just not that interested. To that effect, this is my last post on this thread. sorry for the clutter.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]